Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

First Autocross in the Evo. Gotta say, It sucks...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Robi Spec is all I have to say made my car handle like the other
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I was FSAE too, but damn..Not on that level. Our school/budget was tiny and the biggest accomplishment for us was building a car with nearly no previous team help, almost no budget, and 5 people. We managed to compete in every event, but of course didn't do great in any.

I know all about driving around a car that understeers on corner entry...I did learn to auto-x in a DSM after all . While yes, corner entry was weak that's not the main problem. Mid corner the car isn't neutral how it sits.

I like a car to have be balanced mid-corner with some controlled lift oversteer, a touch of corner entry oversteer, and flat on corner exit. After tuning the talon for to handle pretty much this way, I have a good work-flow Ill follow on the Evo to get the balance I want. I'm pretty excited about it too, Ive been driving the Talon for 8 years so its been a long time since I started a new project.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you go to PSU? I was on 2008 WWU team

You need TONS MORE CAMBER. Try closer to -3.5 degrees up front... maybe even more. -1.5 to -2 in the rear.

You need a TON more roll stiffness... try the springs, but you'll probably want to throw a front bar at the car to keep your camber loss under control.

You undoubtedly have positive camber as you're running around the track. I was running -2.5 and I had issues. You need WAY more camber and way more roll stiffness up front.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
try an upgraded rear diff, acd reflash

and of course coils.. i dont know if i'd run so much camber if the car's a street car
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to note if you're planning on running in Street Prepared. Current Fasttrack news is stating that they are recommending to move the Evo from BSP to ASP for 2011. Their resons: since the evo was put into BSP numbers of vehicles in BSP has declined since the evo dominates BSP. They say currently BSP evos can produce 400 WHP with E85 tunes and that power increased more in the evo than other BSP cars. You can see this info here: http://www.scca.org/documents/Fastra...track-june.pdf

Sounds retarded to me, but go figure.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Kyooch: Next year the car will get all the goodies. This year Im sticking with the talon since its kicking *** in SM. Gotta win the packwood National Tour and Pro-solo this year. Next year it will get coils and tires and Ill spend all year playing with those..The next will probably see the ACD and rear diff upgraded.

R/TEarnie: Yeah, I was PSU. Our team was small and didnt have much high tech stuff, but we did have to learn a lot to get the car built.

Vortico: Yeah, Ive heard those rumors and it kinda sucks for us.. We just cant compete with the Corvettes running 315+ tires. Oh well, If that happens Ill probably just go back and play in SM again. I really love the powerband of a 2.4l and a 16g.

Anyone know of a good comparison between AST 5100's and Ohlin DVT's? Im pretty torn, but leaning towards AST's cause I can upgrade them to 5200 later.