Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover suggestion for not the greatest quality of roads

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilover suggestion for not the greatest quality of roads

I live in a place called Edmonton, AB. The roads here are far from the roads you would find in say…California, Vancouver, Vegas, Florida, etc. Our roads consist of cracks in the roads, wavy roads, dips,etc. We go from such extreme temperatures and big trucks driving on them, they just don’t take. Also in summer theres a lot of construction going on so that doesn’t help either.

Current Setup:
Stance GR+
10k front and 11k rear
Springs replaced with Swift Springs
Bought from Previous owner so its setup for more track type setup.
I love these coilovers, the handling on em are pretty sweet however, Im noticing and feeling lately that the ride is starting to get to me and a bit tooo stiff for my liking. I could turn the dampening down but I’ve read the car feels floaty. I have swapped coilovers twice (megan streets, now these).

I am thinking of going to KW’s b/c I heard they don’t make squeaking noise and there ride is a more smooth non-harsh ride with great valving. I was thinking of getting Robispec ones. Also I think its time I stop short cutting and get it right lol.

What do u guys think of that?

I kinda want the clubsport ones, ive heard they handle AMAZING but I think ive read the ride is pretty harsh but if its softer then this(lower spring rate) then I might like it, cause I don’t mind some rough ride, just this is intense. I also wanna know the differences in quality between KW clubsport and streets.

If you guys wanna make any suggestions in a coilover that would work for both nice tight handling and a “smooth/solid” ride quality… Im all ears! Please keep in mind that I chose Robispec b/c where I live, I don’t really have the resources for someone to “tune” my suspension so I thought if I paid a bit extra, they could tune em and I can install and go!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would avoid a "clubsport" coilover. Robi does offer a "street" coilover that would be a very good choice. Give him a call and tell him what you're looking for.

Bilstein PSS9 would be a very good choice too. There's 1 spot left for EVO8/9 for our first shipment of AST 4100s that would work well too. Custom spring rates using Swift springs.

- andrew
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I would avoid a "clubsport" coilover. Robi does offer a "street" coilover that would be a very good choice. Give him a call and tell him what you're looking for.

Bilstein PSS9 would be a very good choice too. There's 1 spot left for EVO8/9 for our first shipment of AST 4100s that would work well too. Custom spring rates using Swift springs.

- andrew

So question for you…

Since you have seen these coilovers and worked with them a lot,

What is the big difference between the street and clubsport? How different would u grade them?

The issue I have with the Bilsteins is the configuration of em

The new AST’s, how do they match up for what I am looking for and –vs- the KW streets.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

PS: i tried calling Robispec at lunch and his mailbox is full
Any places that vendor his stuff or represent his product? That could provide me with additional info/if i wanna buy.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Psst... AST's or PSS9's.. you'll be happy/amazed either way... For the cost and the custom shock/spring set up.. as well as useful range of adjustment... AST's!! get 'em before this shipment is gone!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going up to AST price range might as well consider Ohlins DFV too. Their OEM rates ride better than stock. Even with my much stiffer rates it's still not far off.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

$1900 for AST 4100's... Talk to Andrew/Myles @ GTWorx...

db- this isn't the 4200/5100/5200 that have been available for quite a while.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

So how do the AST match up to what I'm looking for?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I feel I could answer this, but I bet GTWORX would give a much better answer for you....
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

basicfun... give it a try
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Incredible versatility, more usable damping adjustment range than the PSS9's, and custom sprung to boot. These will likely ride smoother than the MR Bilsteins, but with much better roll resistance upon load (i.e. spirited driving, cornering, autox, track work). I was between both of these, and decided the AST's were the hands down best choice, and will still likely look at a set from GTWORX as funds allow.

side note- I picked up a set of used Ohlins for a steal and that is the only reason I am not on the 4100s currently, along with a change in the family financial picture.

lastly.. 2 s's in BASSicfun (been a long time bassist).. and basically... I'm fun.

[ducks and awaits GTWORX correction of my quick dirty response]
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Heh, you got it. Well Bilstein MRs with a good spring might ride a tiny bit smoother depending on the rates you end up with on the ASTs, but it's still a different ball game overall.

- Andrew
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robispec, I hear a lot of good things but I wish I can help you more.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I have the MR Bilsteins & OEM springs now for winter setup... riding on them I think the older Ohlins I picked up ride smoother... I have considered a progressive rate spring on the MR's for winter.. [/thread hijack]
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

To be honest I haven't been on a stock MR in a long time.

Nice pick up on the Ohlins.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Coilover suggestion for not the greatest quality of roads