Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Advice on damaged rims & tires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on damaged rims & tires

I knew it would happen which is why I tried really, really hard to get a set of winter rims & tires. The fates were against me and I was forced to use the stock rims as winter beaters. You see, the previous three times that I've had nice rims and have had the stock tires changed, there has always been damage to the rims.

So this past weekend, I took my Evo to a locally owned repair shop to get the Blizzacks I bought mounted on my stock rims. I figured that there would be some scratches due to the fact that other shops have always scratched my rims and since the stock rims were now going to be winter beaters, I'd just try and live with it. Now I've been doing business with this shop for the past 10+ years and they are great for run of the mill stuff (suspension, exhaust, brakes, etc ). I thought (my mistake) that they would notice that the rims are a step above the typical steel 14 inch rims and that they would be careful. Wrong! Every one of my rims has scratches all the way around the lip. It looks like the wheel weight was pushed around the edge of the wheel. The lip on each wheel has several long scratches where the silver coat was scraped off to reveal the white primer underneath. On the face of the wheel there are long black scratches and more white spots. On a couple of the wheels I can see bare metal where the wheel weight were located, almost as if the weights were ripped off. Here's a pic of a rim where the weight was located: http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbrat/Rim1.jpg
Here's another hi-res pic of the entire rim. Notice the white streaks on the lip and the black streaks on the face next to the lip: http://www.freepichosting.com/Images...1/0.jpg?x=2288

I worked on one of the wheels tonight and was able to buff out the black streaks but the white spots need to be repainted. Even though I'd love to go back and scream and holler at them about this, I was prepared for some scratches and also due to the fact that these rims will see 6 or so upcoming NY winters, they will never be clean long enough to see the damage so I'll just vent for now.

Now my first question is, should I be very concerned when I buy new rims next year and have a different local shop mount them? Like I said, this is the fourth time I've had rim damage over the years (at four different shops). Mounting is probably easier on the rims than unmounting but are there any tips for making sure they are not damaged in the mounting process?

Question #2. I plan on reusing my Yoko's next Spring since they have more than half of the tread left. The bad news is that three of the four tires were damaged when they were taken off the rims. Each one is missing a good size chunk and I can even see the cords. It looks like the missing chunk is just at the edge of the bead but I'm not sure. Now this pisses me off because I drive about 6k miles a year and the stock Yoko's should last me three years of Summer driving. If I can't reuse them, there's over $800 I have to shell out sooner than expected. Here's some pics of the damage to one of the three tires: http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbrat/Tire1.jpg
http://www.freepichosting.com/Images/106381/1.jpg?x=640
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbrat/Tire3.jpg

What does everyone think? Can I remount these tires and will they hold?

One more thing (as if the damaged rims and tires wasn't enough). As my Blizzaks were put on, I could see the back of my car from where I was sitting. I had two Blizzaks in the trunk and two on the back seat. I didn't see the mechanic open my trunk and when my car was finished, I went out to drive away and sure enough, I had two Blizzaks on the front and the Yoko's still on the back. Hmmm, I wonder how the car would handle? Needless to say I had them fix this asap. What kind of mechanic doesn't even blink with two high performance tires on the back and aggressive snows on the front?

The whole ordeal just makes me sick to my stomach when I think how much the dealership charge for the tires & rims.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:07 PM

I have taken my car to have tires changed at Discount tire several times, and i have NEVER had rim or tire damage. Hold them accountable, and get the money for your rims and tires.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:26 PM

And you didn't demand that they repair or replace the wheels on the spot? I have had car and motorcycle wheels changed and have never had that kind of damage. Name the shop so people stay away from them.

Did you mention to them that you would be using the Yoko's next year or did they think they were junk.....?

You need to ask your buddies and find a decent shop that won't tear up your kit.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mhutch
And you didn't demand that they repair or replace the wheels on the spot? I have had car and motorcycle wheels changed and have never had that kind of damage. Name the shop so people stay away from them.

Did you mention to them that you would be using the Yoko's next year or did they think they were junk.....?

You need to ask your buddies and find a decent shop that won't tear up your kit.
Here here...

They oughta pay period...

Look around here or eBay at all times. I have 10 Yoko's and six rims as spares just by keeping my eyes open... I plan on finding some nice autox tires for four of the rims...

Flybyevo...
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Definitily get a new tire installer. I've seen some places that just don't give a **** about your rims, and some places that does a real good job and take care of your stuff. Go to a places that you or someone had good experience with.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

You should have made them replace your wheels. Sorry that happened to you. I'll be heading to Dicount tire today to get the winter tires on. My friend and I will take pics of the wheels before they work on them. The rep said that the wheels wouldn't scuff up because of there $15,000 machine that they use, but my friend brought in his 03 Cobra to get some Falkens put on and they screwed up his wheel and replaced it.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 05:00 PM

Did you pay with a credit card/check? If so, it's not too late. Put a hold on the credit card or a stop payment on the check. Then, call the shop to see what you can work out. They should be held accountable. Glad to see some people are taking my advice about snapping a few pictures before the mounting. This will save you a lot of time and aggravation in the long run.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take to someone that has the plastic pieces that go on the tire machine. The part that wedges the tire on the rim. It's hard to explain, but if you ask the tire installer they will know what your talking about. It's not that people don't give a **** about your rims because the shop that I work at put my LM-22's on and did the same to my rims. (just not as bad)
Old Nov 20, 2003, 08:05 PM

i say stay away from locally owned tire shops with junk *** old equipemnt. go to discount tire or bell tire they have the equipment to do 24 inch chrome so 17's arent even an issue. that and they have rubber coated tools
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Get them to PAY! If you don't like the initial response you get from them, take it up the chain until you get the results you desire. But DO NOT take no for an answer.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:49 PM
Account Disabled

Let me say first there is no reason for the stock enkei's to have "tap" on weights. If they do, then the place knows nothing about mounting aluminum or race type wheels. Definentley there should not be tons of damage while changing tires.

I know your's is an oddball case where all the wheels were scratched. But let me say as a race tire dealer who has mounted thousands upon thousands of expensive wheels, scratches happen once in a while. If you guys think some shop is going to pay you for a whole set of wheels that are in perfect "mechanical" condition, maybe not cosmetically, you are way off base. If you come to the manager and say hey, look what you did, he may pay for the wheels to be repainted or something. But anything more than that, ain't gonna happen. Most shops have a disclaimer saying they aren't responsible for damage to the wheels anyway.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I'd love to have been able to help. Next time go to a place that specializes in race wheels or at the least has done tons of Aluminum wheels. If they have a machine with a plastic demounting head that will go a long way in saving your wheels.