Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Front Axle

Mitsubishi wants $700

Advance Auto wants $70? (yes its prob a re manufactured)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7_676743952___

says it is Evo Specific, Anyone have some input on potential issues?? Car is strictly DD, no track time period.

I got a used axle for $120 ... but the boot is torn, by the time i get the boot kit, and tools needed im gonna be at like $40-50 anyways, so it seems that getting a entire new axle would be better .....

idk ...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

The inner boot of my right front axle tore and started making noises at an HPDE. I spent some time looking into replacements. "Rebuilt" axles are available online from many sources for about $100, but you never know what you are actually getting. There is a vendor (raxles.com) that rebuilds the CV joints themselves and seems to do a good job, but unfortunately they don't sell Evo axles. I've used raxles in the past and they seem to have a good product.

Because this is a track car, I decided to get a new axle from Mitsubishi. My local dealership wanted $650 plus tax, but I was able to find it online from southwestautogroup for ~$490 plus $40 shipping.

If my Evo was only street-driven, I'd be tempted to take a chance with a "rebuilt" unit. The front axles are remarkably easy to change on this car.

Unless you know that the used axle that you got was never run with the torn boot, I wouldn't use it. The CV joint seems to get damaged very rapidly if the boot tears during use - water and dirt getting into the joint.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used: http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/ for my SVTF (also uses hard to find axles). They had good customer service and shipped quickly. Also a well put together and inspected part.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:43 AM

i have used auto zone and orielys for my 2g never had a problem but ordered one from advanced and it didnt fit
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
The inner boot of my right front axle tore and started making noises at an HPDE. I spent some time looking into replacements. "Rebuilt" axles are available online from many sources for about $100, but you never know what you are actually getting. There is a vendor (raxles.com) that rebuilds the CV joints themselves and seems to do a good job, but unfortunately they don't sell Evo axles. I've used raxles in the past and they seem to have a good product.

Because this is a track car, I decided to get a new axle from Mitsubishi. My local dealership wanted $650 plus tax, but I was able to find it online from southwestautogroup for ~$490 plus $40 shipping.

If my Evo was only street-driven, I'd be tempted to take a chance with a "rebuilt" unit. The front axles are remarkably easy to change on this car.

Unless you know that the used axle that you got was never run with the torn boot, I wouldn't use it. The CV joint seems to get damaged very rapidly if the boot tears during use - water and dirt getting into the joint.
I prob shoulda elaborated a little bit more, the tear is like 1/4" slice with maybe 1/8" of that actually penetrating the boot completely. for the most part, i drive to and from work (about 10mi round trip) M-F and on occassion a 1600mi trip up north on a weekend here or there nothing to real serious for use
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:14 PM

if its just for commute go with the 70 dollor one
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else with any re manufactured experience? input?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A tiny cut like that probably hasn't allowed dirt to enter. Why not just replace the boot?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ordered them front left & right. Will post pics one I receive them.