Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ams lightweight brakes vs Girodisc utralite rotors, Which one would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ams lightweight brakes vs Girodisc utralite rotors, Which one would you pick?

I am torn between the 2 brakes. My car is gonna remain a full DD but I want the best advantage on the street. I know the ams wildwood kits cuts 12lbs more of rotational mass and alittle more unsprung weight overall, but I loose my e-brake. The girodisc cuts 28lbs or rotational mass and allows me to keep my brembos and e-brake, also cheaper (1600 vs 2200)

Now I can tell you that I just bought some new front tires yesterday, and they are a total of 6lbs heavier than what I had on there, and all I can say is that I can really feel the difference in accel(alot slower)

Just wanting some opinions on what you guys think.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:11 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgsx01
I am torn between the 2 brakes. My car is gonna remain a full DD but I want the best advantage on the street. I know the ams wildwood kits cuts 12lbs more of rotational mass and alittle more unsprung weight overall, but I loose my e-brake. The girodisc cuts 28lbs or rotational mass and allows me to keep my brembos and e-brake, also cheaper (1600 vs 2200)

Now I can tell you that I just bought some new front tires yesterday, and they are a total of 6lbs heavier than what I had on there, and all I can say is that I can really feel the difference in accel(alot slower)

Just wanting some opinions on what you guys think.
Some compromises just doesn't make sense!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

If you are really gonna DD your car, leave the stock brakes on it. Not saying you can't do it with the wilwoods, but the stock brakes are more street friendly. If you really wanna race the car with the best possible advantage, then get the wilwoods.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The choice between the two seems obvious.

To add another option, STM has some Baer lightweight rotors in stock. IIRC, they have just one set left. The rotors shave 16lbs of rotational mass at a significantly lower price.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The choice between the two seems obvious.

To add another option, STM has some Baer lightweight rotors in stock. IIRC, they have just one set left. The rotors shave 16lbs of rotational mass at a significantly lower price.

its only 10lbs of rotational mass is and I believe they dont sell the rears anymore.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your DD then go with the girodiscs. Keep the e brake and the oem brembos. I would pick the brembos over wilwoods any day, imo.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

DD or light track duty, I'd think the obvious choice would be the girodiscs... SS braided brake lines, brake pads, and girodisc 2-piece rotors... done!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

its only 10lbs of rotational mass is and I believe they dont sell the rears anymore.
Actually, we were both mistaken. It's 12lbs for the fronts. When the rears were available, they saved 8lbs for a 20lb total.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be totally stupid to buy the wilwood kit for a DD car when girodisc and a few other companies make light weight 2 piece rotors that fit with the stock calipers and stop much better then the small wilwoods would. There only good for drag cars who are looking for every ounce to save.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

So far the girodisc are the favorite.

What about the wildwood front kit with the girodisc rear rotors? I keep the e-brake, can use 15inch rims now, and will cut 6lbs more rotational mass than having the front girodisc.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

The front brakes do most of the work.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

What about the wildwood front kit with the girodisc rear rotors? I keep the e-brake, can use 15inch rims now, and will cut 6lbs more rotational mass than having the front girodisc.
That might upset the brake balance. Not sure how strong the wilwood kit is, but if the rears are strong enough by comparision you could end up with nasty oversteer under hard braking.

Honestly, I would focus more on improving your power and drivetrain. Brakes are the last thing you want to compromise on for a street car.

girodiscs + light wheels will make a huge difference over stock.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I am already beefing up the driveline with a built tranny from Awd, and lightweight driveshaft. The t-case will be next. Power wise I am happy with the 443 on 93 right now,aliitle more power would be nice. Besides lightweight mods on the driveline help in not breaking stuff.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I installed AWDlightweight driveshaft today, and all I can say I am gonna get lightweight rotors. The car feels so much better with just the driveshaft its nuts. Overall the car feels like its lighter,accells alot faster in all gears,so I cant imagine what lightweight rotors will do.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i rock the AMS small brakes and i DD my car every day. They stop you just fine

Quick Reply: Ams lightweight brakes vs Girodisc utralite rotors, Which one would you pick?