Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New brake pads installed, few concerns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
New brake pads installed, few concerns

Hey guys, I recently installed a set of CL brakes RC5+ on the front and rear of my car. This was my first time swapping pads, and there are a few things that make me wonder if I did the swap correctly:

1. Even when I'm not pressing the brake pedal, at least 1 of the pads appears to rub very slightly against the rotor. Sometimes when I'm pulling away from a stop/red light, I'll hear one of the pads squeaking a bit, yet I'm not braking. Also, when I'm driving next to a concrete wall or barrier, I can hear the scrapping of the pad on the rotor. The pad might just be "leaning" on the rotor, because I can still push the car when it's in neutral and I don't really see a difference in resistance.

2. The first time that I brake when going in a new direction (ie. switching from forward to reverse), I can hear a bit of clunking, like if the pads are moving around. It only does it the first time, after that they're fine.

Is there anything specific I should check? I plan to go lapping on Sat., should I reinstall the pads to make sure they're on correctly before then, or will they stop rubbing as the pad material wears down?

Cheers!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you clean the rotors to remove the old material before install of the new pads? Did you bed them in? if so, properly?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No, I didn't remove the old material on the rotors. As far as bedding, CL says just to do a few moderate-hard stops to seat the pads correctly in the calipers, which I did.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just make sure the pins and the clips are properly installed... ie.. pins in all the way, not loose or baking out and make sure the clips are underneath the pins on each side. If everything appears to be secure I think you'll be ok.

Bedding procedure as follows, 4-5 quick slow downs from 60-20mph in a row (stomp them HARD, but don't come to a complete stop). Then use the brakes as little as possible till they can completely cool.

Good Luck, happy lapping.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Most disc brakes have no device to pull the pads away from the rotor when not braking. What ever run out the rotor has is supposed to be enough to knock the pads back. This doesn't mean that the pads won't rub a little on a high spot on the rotor. This is normal. And, if the brakes want to be noisy, you may hear it.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing this thread back up...How much rubbing is too much? I can hear a faint squeak coming from my brakes at low speed. It isn't very loud but enough to be a little annoying. It goes away when the brakes are applied. The brakes were bedded and copper anti-seize was used on the back of the pads. Is there any way to minimize the amount of dragging? Could new shims be helpful? The pads are DS2500's BTW.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm having a similar squeaking sound as well :/ just been too lazy to figure out how to fix it
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

^yeah I hear ya. I was thinking I might have reused my OEM shims one too many times? I'm don't know.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

These are high performance cars with high performance brakes, they are going to make noise, it is normal.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as you cleaned the pins that hold the pads in place really good you should be ok. I clean the pins on mine with steel wool and brake cleaner. Getting them as smooth as possible so the pad has very little resistance sliding back and forth on them. Good Luck.