Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear the blizzaks are surprisingly good on dry pavement. It does get cold in CO anyway and a winter tire compound might be better in colder conditions even on dry pavement depending on what tires you're comparing and what temps you're talking about. Of course don't forget you're pretty close to deep snow and you'll be better equipped to take a winter tour around your state on proper winter shoes.

Someone around here probably has some cold temp dry pavement stopping distance charts comparing winters and all seasons.

From some of the tests I've read winters are better in the wet in just about every test when compared to all seasons, of course that always depends on what you're comparing. Winters are very good in the wet though.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Aug 30, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal, care to comment on anything you have read or heard on the Cont DWS for deeper snow/unplowed roads? That is my concern, as I am in a small Ohio town (outside of snowbelt, but we get plenty of snow).. and our roads are not well maintained in winter. I would love to go to an allseason, rather than use the undersized (225) snows I am now, and then run the Z1 all summer (which I am only going to get ONE summer on mine... and that is with zero toe)...

Would love to go to a quality snow, all season (not too concerned with dry grip, more concerned with wet and snow traction) and then just run the Z1 for track/autox... Care to comment? Seems relevent to the thread. Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Putting all Season tires on an evo is like putting combat boots on a ballet dancer. What's the point may as well buy a civic.
Well if the ballet dancer was walking through snow and mud her ballet shoes would not work too well, I'll bet she would want the boots. Not sure of the point of that.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hammerevo
Well if the ballet dancer was walking through snow and mud her ballet shoes would not work too well, I'll bet she would want the boots. Not sure of the point of that.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

then get BOOTS

Originally Posted by hammerevo
get some real snows for the winter like the Blizzaks or better yet the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:00 AM

i think toxin is correct. the difference either way i.e. for a good summer tire, or from a dedicated winter tire to the all season is so massive that it really makes no sense to use all seasons. they just kill driving joy in any weather.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

I've had all season tires on my car for the last 50k miles and I still love driving my evo every day :shrug. Hell I've even tracked the car on all seasons and still had a blast.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
pao
Evolving Member

bridgestone potenza re960's are what i have stowed away for the fall/winter. seattle doesn't get much snow and when it does i drive the t100 anyway
Old Sep 5, 2010, 03:37 AM

the new bridgestone potenza s001 are supposedly gread all weather tires
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

when you say..

Originally Posted by cs82685
I've had all season tires on my car for the last 50k miles and I still love driving my evo every day :shrug. Hell I've even tracked the car on all seasons and still had a blast.

...tracked do you mean drag strip or road course? Sure the car is fun to drive with any tires just like having sex with a fat ugly chick, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you do it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pao
bridgestone potenza re960's are what i have stowed away for the fall/winter. seattle doesn't get much snow and when it does i drive the t100 anyway
hey - I'm in seattle too and looking to get some 265/35/18's for some new wheels but want a high performance all weather tire that is good in the rain and good in the summer.

Currently have BFGoodrich G-Forces on my STI which are great but want to try something different on the Evo - thoughts?

Also, trying to spend no more than $220ish per tire.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
For the OP I'd recommend Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. They will handle as well as all season tires, out wear all season tires and take anything the depths of winter can throw at you.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
+1 for the DWS. I had the RE960AS and they're a little better in the dry but the DWS is WAY better snow. Don't really need all seasons for dry pavement, I'm never pushing the car on the street. This lets me save up my summer tires for when I actually need them.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
+1 for the DWS. I had the RE960AS and they're a little better in the dry but the DWS is WAY better snow. Don't really need all seasons for dry pavement, I'm never pushing the car on the street. This lets me save up my summer tires for when I actually need them.
my thoughts exactly
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove through a Tahoe winter storm on Pirelli P6 four seasons and they did well. Sucked more in the dry though.

I deal in tires day in and day out and I've also heard nothing but good things about the Conti DWS', but have not had a chance to try them yet. If I still lived in Truckee/Tahoe, those would definitely be my next set of tires.

Overall though, after trying four different all seasons, I would say that if you're driving in snow, get dedicated snow tires. Makes for a much better drive.

Quick Reply: All-Season Tires