Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

passenger side tires wearing faster

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passenger side tires wearing faster

I rotated my tires last weekend and noticed that not only did the fronts have less tread than the rears, the passenger side tires were more worn than the drivers side.

There is a significant difference in tread between the front passengers tire and the rear drivers tire. Enough to make me concerned about my TC.

I auto-x, so my rotation schedule is faster than normal, but I think I waited an event longer than I should have. My previous event had lots of left turns, but I can't see one event causing this. By rotate, i mean just front to back.

My alignment is ok, seems to wear evenly on the street, but not as much on course. Last thing is that my front passengers side wheel well has a lot more tar/gunk in it than the others.

I am going to be buying tires very soon, but I wanted to see if anyone had ideas about what could cause this kind of wear. If there is an underlying problem I'd like to fix it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I know of nothing drive train related that would cause this.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

ok, i've been thinking that front tires could wear different due to the open diff. The rear tires are a bit more concerning, since it does have a diff. Maybe it just sucks

Im guessing the real solution would be to rotate my tires the expensive way.

Still, no one has any experience with this?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure your tire pressures are where they suppose to be when auto crossing.Makes a big difference.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:14 AM

your girlfriend's *** is too big.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by evremonde
I rotated my tires last weekend and noticed that not only did the fronts have less tread than the rears, the passenger side tires were more worn than the drivers side.

There is a significant difference in tread between the front passengers tire and the rear drivers tire. Enough to make me concerned about my TC.

I auto-x, so my rotation schedule is faster than normal, but I think I waited an event longer than I should have. My previous event had lots of left turns, but I can't see one event causing this. By rotate, i mean just front to back.

My alignment is ok, seems to wear evenly on the street, but not as much on course. Last thing is that my front passengers side wheel well has a lot more tar/gunk in it than the others.

I am going to be buying tires very soon, but I wanted to see if anyone had ideas about what could cause this kind of wear. If there is an underlying problem I'd like to fix it.

I noticed the same thing since I started autoxing 3 years ago. I'd have to assume the way our courses are set up here, that the passenger side would get beat up more since we take more hard left turns that right. I'm unsure if the car is has more weight on that side since the engine is a bit more positioned to that side as well, maybe someone can confirm this with the stock cornerweight numbers?

How frequently are you rotating?

I'm normally rotating between 1-2 events (front to back). Also "swapping" your tires from the right to the left side helps since the wear of the outside passenger tires would now be on the inner drivers side after the "swap".

What are you running for pressures?

I also run a pound or two higher in my passenger side because of the extra wear I was getting. It does help out from what I've been noticing the past couple autox's.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

You sure you're not taking those left turns a little too fast?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
How frequently are you rotating?
about every 4th event, which i think is a bit too long. I have not rotated side to side, thinking I'll need to to that at least with the fronts.

since the VIII has an open front diff, the passenger side is the drive wheel, i think that is causing the difference.

Originally Posted by LV///R
What are you running for pressures?
about 43psi, some events were cooler/wet so i used < 40 then.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:41 PM

Real answer.

There is only one correct answer for this question. It's because of left hand turns. They wear out the front passenger side tire faster because of the longer tien radius. That's a fact. !
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by josh fuhrmann
There is only one correct answer for this question. It's because of left hand turns. They wear out the front passenger side tire faster because of the longer tien radius. That's a fact. !
Exactly, and higher loads, very simple, we see it all the time.... probably those brake pads are more worn also, I would not be surprised.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Aug 26, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Good thing you were able to provide an answer, 5 years later.