Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Use stock seat belts and racing harness??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use stock seat belts and racing harness??

I found the thread that somebody asked about harnesses for out cars, but I have a more detailed quation.... I want a harness that I can use for the weekend on the track and unclip it and use the normal seat belt. Anybody know of a company that makes it??
Old Nov 25, 2003, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry, I dont have an answer to your question, but I have heard that using a racing harness without a roll bar is extremely dangerous, since if the car rolls, all the weight will go on your head as the roof crushes in and toy cant lower your head much since you're strapped into seat... you might want to go with regular seatbelt until you get a cage.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 05:47 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

You also have to be careful about selecting a roll cage for a dual use vehicle. It's often dangerous to drive a cage-equipped car without a helmet, due to the exposed cage elements around your head.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

I've been reading here about it being dangerous to use harnesses without a roll bar/cage. Yet, it is common practice in the driving school and autocross community. I'm not advocating using, or not using, harnesses without a cage/bar. That is your choice.

I installed the Schroth Rally 3 belts at both the driver and front passenger seats of my Evo:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evosafety.htm

I attached the end of the shoulder straps to the attachment points for the shoulder straps for the rear seats. When I don't use the harnesses, I disconnect the quick release for the Schroth shoulder straps, push the harnesses to the sides of the seat, and use the stock seat belts. The rear seats and belts are perfectly usable with this system.

These harnesses are also DOT approved for street use and I have heard that they are somewhat commonly used in Europe for street use. I've used these belts at 4 driving schools and they work really well to keep you firmly in the seat.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I have the SPARCO 4 point removable belts in my car. They come with hardened eyebolts that you use in place of the standard bolts that mount the regular seatbeat. You then have clips on the end of the lap belts.

The shoulder harness attaches to the anchors in the back of the car. It's a nice set-up and looks good, and they remove quickly after the event.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by tsi90awd

I installed the Schroth Rally 3 belts at both the driver and front passenger seats of my Evo:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evosafety.htm

A friend who does serious autocross also told me that Schroth was the way to go for cars without a rollbar.
In the event of a rollover crash, the standard seatbelt allows upper body movement.
Your body can twist and slide to save your head and neck from being crushed.
The danger ( as was already stated ) in using a 4-pt harness without a bar is that if you do roll over, you cannot move.
You could end up attempting to hold up your car with your neck. Not good.
He said one model of Schroth has special stitching on one of the shoulder straps. The strap is
actually longer, and folded over and stitched down.
Under extreme stress ( during a rollover crash for instance ) the stitching will burst, allowing the body to twist away.

Also, he said to follow carefully the install directions on where to mount the harness.
Many people make the mistake of mounting the shoulder portion to the floor behind the seat.
In a crash, you wil be pulled down into the seat instead of back. Can you say broken collarbones ???

Correct mounting is to the c-pillar or rear tray. Schroth has some great pictures about this.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Mike: I agree with what you are saying. Although that tweak of the Schroth belts is supposed to be an "antisubmarining" feature. The shoulder strap on the inside elongates and allows your upper body to roll over and in. This helps you from sliding out from under the lap belt, but would probably also help your body collapse with a collapsing roof.

Mounting the shoulder strap high at the back is very important, as you say. If you use the rear shoulder attachment point as I did, the strap is close to horizontal, as it should be.

Don't use the rear lap belts as attachment points for the front shoulder harness.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

According to schroth, the bolts for the rear lap belts are valid for their Rallye 4 harness...
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by nsnguyen
According to schroth, the bolts for the rear lap belts are valid for their Rallye 4 harness
True for the 4-pt.
I was referring to the 3-pt. The mounting is shown as to the c-pillar.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

OH, I see, I didn't read tsi90awd's post clearly. Yeah, on our car there's no appropriate way to attach the rallye 3 to the c-pillar, but I think the child seat anchors on the deck are designed to handle crash forces and should work fine. The Evo isn't certified by schroth, but I think it should be safe.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thnx guys for all the good info. I will be getting the schroth 4 point.