Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Eliminating Understeer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MGMaronich
Before you start spending money, I suggest that you experiment with tire pressure. I have found that the Evo is very sensitive to small adjustments. try staggering the front and rear tire presure. I run the front tires three pounds heaver than the rear. I suggest front at 32psi and rear 29 psi and go from there.
lowertire pressure usually means slightly more grip. so if you raise it in the front and lower in the back you will have more understeer because understeer is loss of traction at the front tires while cornering.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 2fast2Furious
I say throw more money at it and make it worse? I sure wish people would spend more money on how to drive then going with a coilover setup and bars all over the place. I bet NONE of these coilover kits pull a higher G then stock, UNLESS you have someone set it up that knows what the hell they are doing. And from reading the posts people don't even know WHY they are installing a coil over kit, Maybe because it looks cool and people like riding on bump stops?
Actually the coilovers did not increase the understeer. This car understeers like mad from the factory. And the coilovers were set up by Josh who used to work on cars for RMR and then aligned so I think he knows what he was doing

Last edited by ErroR; Nov 29, 2003 at 08:56 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ErroR

Actually the coilovers did not increase the understeer. This car understeers like mad from the factory.
Gotta disagree with that one ^

My feeling is that even in bone stock trim the Evo8 is the best balanced 4 wheel drive car I have driven/owned.

Audi 4000 quattro: understeered sooo badly regardless of technique that you could plant crops in the asphalt when you were done plowing

WRX: nice handling car but even with $$$ in susp mods never had that "power on balance/oversteer" that I was looking for

Audi A4 1.8tq: Spent almost $3000 on Stasis adj. coilovers (700lb front springs, 800lb rears) handled nicely, understeered, bounced like a bronco on crack going down the freeway, car was too freakin slow to find out about power on oversteer

Porsche Carrera4: push...push....push....push....snap OVERSTEER... whoops

I agree that a change in driving style is all thats needed to coax proper handling out of the Evo. Either lifting off the gas or a slight tap of the brake with my left foot on corner entry is all thats nessessary to create a full on "Tommy Makinnen" style drift in 2nd or 3rd gear corners. NOTHING beats this car on a twisty 2nd - 3rd gear coastal 2 lane. I've had to flash "crotch rocket" motorcycles to get them to pull over

Last edited by ogvw; Dec 1, 2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:04 PM
e8
Evolving Member

lift throttle oversteer is your friend.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

This is ridiculous....if your car is understeering that bad stock then your alignment came f***ed up from the dealer. For a AWD car that weighs 3200 lbs, my Evo understeers very little.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

I guess maybe I am used to my old SALEEN.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 08:23 AM

On my first track day my car (totally stock) had a slight understeer but it is "designed" understeer. What I mean by this is that the factory engineered the EVO to give a little so that it can be driven hard by just about anybody. The car would push just slightly into fast corners but it was so balanced I was doing four wheel drifts all day long (not the fastest away around but sure is fun). When the car would understeer I would trail brake slightly to transfer the weight to the front then just steer into the corner.

Since then my car has been lowered, larger swaybar in back and a PROPER alignment was done. The car now barely understeers, I think because of the larger rear sway bar (stiffer), you are forcing the rear to work harder to keep the weight towards the front. My lap times improved so much but I did not feel as if I was going that much faster (working alot less). This is testamate of how well balanced the EVO is, just awsome!

Cheers,

Winston