Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Aluminum Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Lug Nuts

What experiences have people had with Aluminum Lug nuts?

I recently swapped out my heavy Pep-Boys lugs with a set of Volk short-style aluminum lugs (like these http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ts-p-2199.html ).

People have told me to stay away from impact guns, and maybe keep them below 90 ft/lbs. I've also been told that aluminum lugs are less than ideal for hard use.

What else should be known about using aluminum lugs?

I did a HPDE with the Volk lugs, and I didn't have any problems. I checked them with a torque wrench after the second session, and they were fine. The guy who sold me the lugs tracks his car extensively.

I've never really read anything about aluminum lugs, and I couldn't find any good EvoM threads. I'll be curious to hear people thoughts and experiences.

Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Less unsrpung weight, less recipricating mass. all good. use a torque wrench to clinch. otherwise you will be in trouble.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

look at Mazda miata MX5 forums. very popular there as they cant really change dick but things like this
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newimportowner
Less unsrpung weight, less recipricating mass. all good. use a torque wrench to clinch. otherwise you will be in trouble.
The difference in weight between the short Volks and the pep-boys acorns is ridiculous. I should weight them, but I wouldn't be suprised if I lost 2-3lbs per corner.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, I weighed a set of Muteki lightweight lugs. Compared to stock, they save a hair over a pound for all 4 corners.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 2, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread. I recently purchased the blox aluminum lugs and would like some info also.

Should they be torqued to Mitsu specs? 85ft/lbs?
Iv herd that if you take your wheels off alot then it could become a problem as the lugs start to wear. Herd they can eventually strip out or even damage the stud. If they are removed once-twice a year shouldn't be a problem.
Anyone ever experience problems with aluminum lugs?
They look sick and weigh alot less compared to the autozone spline lugs I'm running now. Just don't like how it didn't come with locks

I'll post any info I come across
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RS
What experiences have people had with Aluminum Lug nuts?

I recently swapped out my heavy Pep-Boys lugs with a set of Volk short-style aluminum lugs (like these http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ts-p-2199.html ).

People have told me to stay away from impact guns, and maybe keep them below 90 ft/lbs. I've also been told that aluminum lugs are less than ideal for hard use.

What else should be known about using aluminum lugs?

I did a HPDE with the Volk lugs, and I didn't have any problems. I checked them with a torque wrench after the second session, and they were fine. The guy who sold me the lugs tracks his car extensively.

I've never really read anything about aluminum lugs, and I couldn't find any good EvoM threads. I'll be curious to hear people thoughts and experiences.

bad experience with my last car,it pretty much strayed me away from aluminum lugnuts for any track use. I had decided at the time that during my quest for shedding all weight on my mr2 turbo, gutted at 2502 lbs, I decided to replace the steel stock style ones with kyokugen lugnuts. I hand tightened all the lugnuts with the special key, putting on the last wheel the special key stripped and lost its shape so it would not grab the lugnut. I ordered a replacement key and the new key lasted until I needed to remove the wheels again. Not a really good design imo.

Im all about losing weight on our cars, but there are some parts that just seems not worth it if your gonna compromise strength and durability. I am only running blox chromoly lugnuts because Im running aftermarket wheels and they are much stronger than aluminum. If I could I would run oem lugnuts and keep piece of mind that I could take my wheels off with an impact if I needed to.

My experience seemed to be more with the key and not the lugnuts themselves, but what good are lightweight lugnuts if you cant even remove them. thats my .02, take it for what its worth.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
porsche uses/used them from the factory. as long as they are decent quality, threads have some sort of lube and they arent overtorqued, they are great.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

If used properly aluminum lugs are strong enough for track use and their weight benefit is nice however they're certainly not as strong or durable as steel would be. Aluminum threads will wear down after repeated use so I think the choice to use them will depend on how you use your car. If you're frequently removing/changing wheels for track or auto-x I would probably stay away from aluminum or be prepared to buy a new set every season. That said if you are going to use them and want to get good life out of them you need to do two things. Make sure the threads are clean and greased every time you remove them and always torque them properly, never with an impact gun.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would never use aluminum lug nuts for road race or auto X. They are not durable enough IMO. If you want a strong light lug, I'd look into titanium. Weight to safety… I’ll take weight any day of the week. If you’re looking to remove weight I would explore different wheel options and tires. Tirerack.com lists all weights of tires. Just a FYI

And if you are dead set on them I would do what sscottttt said with longer studs and check them for any fatigue as much as you can.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 02:08 PM

query

What torque do you use to tighten your aluminium nuts if I may ask?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luis p botas
What torque do you use to tighten your aluminium nuts if I may ask?
same as steel. 85 lb/ft is plenty with some lube on the studs.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommiM
I decided to replace the steel stock style ones with kyokugen lugnuts. I hand tightened all the lugnuts with the special key, putting on the last wheel the special key stripped and lost its shape so it would not grab the lugnut. I ordered a replacement key and the new key lasted until I needed to remove the wheels again. Not a really good design imo.
Kyo's are the worst. Used to run them in my Honda days. Always was replacing them. .....they are cheap.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
. Weight to safety… i’ll take weight any day of the week..

+1.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sscottttt
If used properly aluminum lugs are strong enough for track use and their weight benefit is nice however they're certainly not as strong or durable as steel would be. Aluminum threads will wear down after repeated use so I think the choice to use them will depend on how you use your car. If you're frequently removing/changing wheels for track or auto-x I would probably stay away from aluminum or be prepared to buy a new set every season. That said if you are going to use them and want to get good life out of them you need to do two things. Make sure the threads are clean and greased every time you remove them and always torque them properly, never with an impact gun.

NO!!! You degrade the torque capacity when you grease wheel studs!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Lug Nuts