Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which BBK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oddly enough, the Cosworth BBK is made by Stoptech.

- andrew
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

I think the picture of the Cosworths you linked to is incorrect.

Stoptech has a regular and a Trophy kit, which is baller status. Extra light, little more money.

Cosworth has the Sport and MaxSport, which correspond with the above.

The price listed for the Cosworth kit you linked to would lead me to believe that it is the Sport kit, not the baller MaxSport kit that is similar to the Stoptech Trophy kit.

- Andrew
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Oddly enough, the Cosworth BBK is made by Stoptech.

- andrew
Interesting. I'm actually somewhat surprised with that. On one hand I can totally understand a company outsourcing to another but with Cosworth, I have always regarded them as a premier, exclusive manufacturer of race parts that did everything in house sort-to-speak.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a link to the trophy kit...or do you sell them?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm surprised too that Cosworth bothered to do a BBK kit, simply because they're so well known for their excellent motor work.

We do sell the Stoptech trophy kits. Dan in the office runs them on his STI racecar and previously ran the regular 355mm Stoptechs. The trophy kit is basically optimized a little more, using a forged aluminum construction, a bit lighter, and a bit stiffer caliper. They are an excellent company and frankly would be my go to choice if I was building a racecar (and didn't have the $texas for the brembo monoblocks). We talk with Erik over there a lot and trust their advice when it comes to brakes. Lots of pad choices too.

I'll PM you a price shortly.

- Andrew
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Andrew
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm still leaning towards the RacingBrake kit. Reason being that they seem to be of high quality both in material and technology. Here are some of the things that stood out to me on the RacingBrake kits:

Calipers have stainless steal pistons.
Calipers have double seals.
Calipers are made from forged aluminum.
Has better axial clearance than competitors' kits due to the center mount design.

Do the StopTech or Brembo kits offer anything that is significantly better then what is offered by RacingBrake, or are they fairly similar. RacingBrake seems to be popular in racing as well and used by a lot of teams/individuals...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:39 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about Stoptech, but BREMBO just doesn't need to be asked. They prolly has the most research out of any of the manufacturers of performance brake products. However, on a performance to budget comparison, RacingBrake has them beat for sure. I really like the RB stuff myself, for those reason.

Check out one of my locals with the RB 4 piston kits on his car...its monsterous, and barely fits the stock BBS

Last edited by chu; Oct 20, 2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info and pics chu. I'm not really on a budget, but if I can get the same product for 900 less then I will do it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BenJ
Well, I'm still leaning towards the RacingBrake kit. Reason being that they seem to be of high quality both in material and technology. Here are some of the things that stood out to me on the RacingBrake kits:

Calipers have stainless steal pistons.
Calipers have double seals.
Calipers are made from forged aluminum.
Has better axial clearance than competitors' kits due to the center mount design.

Do the StopTech or Brembo kits offer anything that is significantly better then what is offered by RacingBrake, or are they fairly similar. RacingBrake seems to be popular in racing as well and used by a lot of teams/individuals...
Stoptech (and brembo) are used in quite a few motorsports applications. A nice list for Stoptech is here:

http://www.stoptech.com/proven_techn...partners.shtml

Note that these are real race teams at high levels of motorsports.

Calipers are forged aluminum, they have dustboots, carefully chosen piston sizes, etc. Spend some time on the Stoptech website and you'll learn a LOT about brake technology.

- Andrew
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

aren't the stoptechs made in china? how many automotive manufacturers supply oem stoptechs on their cars? people criticize jdm coilovers, but recommend you risk your life being able to stop your car at 200mph on the cheapest set of aftermarket calipers available.

i use the brembo GTR monoblock, titanium vented 8 piston setup on my time attack car. sierra sierra and chris rado use the gtr 6 piston setup. look at what the top leman's and daytona 24hr cars run, it aint no chinese knock off caliper. that's the biggest mistake i see 99% of people making. they spend $xx,xxx on making their car faster, but zero to xxx amount being able to stop.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:15 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tc17
aren't the stoptechs made in china? how many automotive manufacturers supply oem stoptechs on their cars? people criticize jdm coilovers, but recommend you risk your life being able to stop your car at 200mph on the cheapest set of aftermarket calipers available.

i use the brembo GTR monoblock, titanium vented 8 piston setup on my time attack car. sierra sierra and chris rado use the gtr 6 piston setup. look at what the top leman's and daytona 24hr cars run, it aint no chinese knock off caliper. that's the biggest mistake i see 99% of people making. they spend $xx,xxx on making their car faster, but zero to xxx amount being able to stop.
You're a baller...and so are they
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

I think you may have Stoptech mixed up with another company.

"StopTech's ST-40 and ST-60 calipers are fully forged for optimal strength and light weight. All caliper finish machining (such as piston bores sized correctly for the application) and assembly/testing is done in our Southern California facility. StopTech tests every single finished caliper to 2800 psi using brake fluid on a special test bench designed by StopTech engineers"

All hats, lines, and brackets are made in the US.

They are "real" calipers and are used on several World Challenge and Grand AM teams. And yes also time attack cars. No it's not the same as brembo gtr monoblock, but it is a very good system for the money and at least as good or better than a regular brembo bbk.

Again, look around the stoptech website and you will see they are a competition level brake system with real engineering behind them.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Oct 20, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
You're a baller...and so are they
whats so funny about running a good quality brake system? you post a 4piston RB system and that's ok?

he did ask this question:

Originally Posted by BenJ
so the stop tech hats, lines and mounts are made in the US. what about the calipers and rotors?

Last edited by tc17; Oct 20, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
chu
Evolved Member

whats so funny about running a good quality brake system? you post a 4piston RB system and that's ok? he did ask this question:

so the stop tech hats, lines and mounts are made in the US. what about the calipers and rotors?
Absolutely nothing. You misunderstood me there bud!

Quick Reply: Which BBK?