Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which BBK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I researched a bit more on the Stoptech Trophy kit and it has a lot of R&D into it to increase caliper stiffness, weight reduction, and rotor cooling. The cost isn't that bad either really when you consider what it is that you are getting. It's looking like I will be going with the Stoptech Trophy kit.
Attached Thumbnails Which BBK?-stoptech1.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That, my, friend, is a damn good looking caliper. I don't know if I like the unvented hat to rotor mounts though.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
That, my, friend, is a damn good looking caliper. I don't know if I like the unvented hat to rotor mounts though.
Thanks, they are a pretty stout setup with a lot of nice qualities. From what I read, Stoptech did testing on the venting of the center had and came to the conclusion that the majority of the cooling came from the backside and not the front side, making venting from the front a moot point.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

what about AP racing and alcon
there are so many good bbk company out there
haha...this will be a tough decision if price isnt a concern for you
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skyblas
what about AP racing and alcon
there are so many good bbk company out there
haha...this will be a tough decision if price isnt a concern for you
I looked into those as well, but the Stoptech trophy brakes have some things that they do not.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want the most retarded brake setup ever, contact these guys http://www.mooresport.com/ and ask them about their 6 piston Alcon caliper with matching custom hub setup for Evolutions. Be prepared to drop about $10k and that is just for the front setup.

Dan
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BenJ
I looked into those as well, but the Stoptech trophy brakes have some things that they do not.
Like.....??
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Oddly enough, the Cosworth BBK is made by Stoptech.

- andrew
The Cosworth USA system is a quick re-badge of a current kit. The Cosworth UK system actually developed specifically for their CS400 car was done by AP Racing.

Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Like.....??
Lighter weight and stiffer caliper.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BenJ
Lighter weight and stiffer caliper.
So material was removed and the caliper is now stiffer? Really?? Stiffer than what?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris_B
So material was removed and the caliper is now stiffer? Really?? Stiffer than what?
17-20% stiffer then their standard 6 piston caliper but not sure of the competitors standard 6 piston calipers stiffness. For reference, the Stoptech Trophy caliper weighs in at 8-9lbs. depending on the size of pistons and application, but for comparisons sake, lets use the maximum range of 9lbs. and compare that to Alcon/Stasis's 6 piston evo caliper that weighs in at 10.3lbs (all weights without pads). I also took a look at the Endless 6 piston kit whose standard 6 piston caliper only weighs in at 7.3lbs and monoblock 6 piston caliper that weighs in at 6.5lbs but I'm trying to keep my parts manufacturers within the U.S. to make it easier to deal with replacement parts...despite the hypocrisy of me owning an evo of course.

Now, of course I could go with a Brembo monoblock setup or stoptech ceramic brake setup, but I just don't need that much brake. I'm also favoring Stoptech because they are local, about 40 miles away. My main thrust behind purchasing the new brake setup is to have enough brakes to handle back to back highspeed braking in an event such as the texas mile or similar. I won't be tracking the car competitively in any way other then that to be honest.

Are you affiliated with a brake company Chris? If so, feel free to PM me with any comparable systems that you have or experience with different setups.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_monobloc.shtml

http://www.stasisengineering.com/whi...te%20paper.pdf

Last edited by BenJ; Oct 22, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider that piston sizes have drastic effects on brake bias. Keep in mind that you must maintain equivalent brake bias, or you must run a bias controller. Also, lighter isn't always better, just my opinion.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is a pic. of the RB Competition 13" Front Rotor and 4 Piston Caliper installed on the 06 MR. This kit is designed for those who have 17" wheels. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_6433.jpg MPG
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

We didn't forget the REAR 13" 4 Piston Caliper for the 17" wheels http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_6432.jpg MPG
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
Former Sponsor

There was not alot left to work with using the 17" wheels.. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_6424.jpg MPG

Quick Reply: Which BBK?