Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which BBK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which BBK?

Between the two, which is the better design that will have reliability and performance?

StopTech 14" 6 piston:
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/S...Brake-Kit.html

Cosworth 14" 6 piston:
http://www.maperformance.com/coswort...-20020689.html

Vehicle Background:

This will be for my 1000"ish"bhp evo that I'm tentatively thinking about running in the Texas mile or similar event for $hit$ and giggles and I just don't feel comfortable doing back to back runs with high speed braking with the stock brakes. Other then that, the car will be a street car but only in the sense that it will be driven once or twice a month....well maybe a little more, but you get the point.

Disclaimer:

I realize that a nice set of 2 piece rotors with a good pad will do the trick more then likely, actually I know that they will, but I'm going all out with everything else on the car so I feel that I might as well continue on to the brakes. At the least, I will have a nice set of brakes to look at

My conundrum:

StopTech makes a very well priced big brake setup and they have a great distribution network so parts will be easy to obtain when the time comes. StopTech is also a large company with good racing results behind them so I know that they are quality.

Cosworth on the other hand...I have never seen an evo with Cosworth brakes, even after searching for a bit. Cosworth is a fantastic company as many can attest to and have an outstanding racing pedigree, but I've never heard of their brakes. Is this a new market that they are going into, or have they been doing this for awhile.

My current conclusion:

I'm swaying towards the Cosworths because they look to be a quality piece and they are definitely unique.

Your opinions?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:03 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about the Brembo kit, or a RacingBrake kit. Both have been on the market for quite sometime with alot of success.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

I do like the Brembo kit and RB kit, but I'm just not sure if there would be any advantages to them over the StopTech or Cosworth Kits. I'm just speculating, but I would assume that the piston size and overall design of the above kits are fairly similar, minus perhaps the rotor design.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Chu...thanks for the input on the Racing Brake kit...I'm now looking into it. I really like the fact that they are local to me so communication would be a breeze. Anybody have any input on the RB 6 piston 14" kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_FRO...4-311-6111.htm
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:41 PM

i have heard good things about stoptech but i am sure brembo is great (they do make some of the best brake systems).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Brembo Monobloc GT Front & Rear Brake Kit

I actually like the brakes off of the Ams Blue Demon:

Last edited by L888Apex; Oct 18, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have definitely been looking at the Brembo BBK, but I'm swaying towards the Racing Brake system now that I have found that they are 10 minutes away from me. I'm a big fan of having the manufacturers close by if at all possible and it is a big selling point for me providing the quality is there.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BenJ
I have definitely been looking at the Brembo BBK, but I'm swaying towards the Racing Brake system now that I have found that they are 10 minutes away from me. I'm a big fan of having the manufacturers close by if at all possible and it is a big selling point for me providing the quality is there.
brembo has one of their facilities in costa mesa/tustin area IIRC
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:05 PM

not to mention brembo's quality. evo's come with them, porsche's, i think some ferraris might (not sure?), i think bmw's use them as well. widely used and widely respected.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Just searched a bit on Brembo and they are located in MI....not the biggest deal though.

I'm digging the RB kit with 6 pistons and 14" rotors though....
Attached Thumbnails Which BBK?-racingbrake.jpg  
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:17 PM

well it does depend on how obnoxious you want for brakes. i have seen that ksport makes really large BBK but i have not heard much on quality and their brakes are a bit on the unneeded side (8 or 12 pistons for the front). just another option for you.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Not feeling the Ksports....at all. They appear to have poor quality and small piston size from the pictures that i have seen. 6 piston is the max that I want to go....no need for anything bigger.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BenJ
Chu...thanks for the input on the Racing Brake kit...I'm now looking into it. I really like the fact that they are local to me so communication would be a breeze. Anybody have any input on the RB 6 piston 14" kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_FRO...4-311-6111.htm
RB designs some nice stuff. I'm glad I've open something up for you to consider.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:58 PM

lighter rotors would be a good thing to look into.........
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by swalltr207jg
lighter rotors would be a good thing to look into.........
I agree 100%. The brembo, racingbrake, and stoptech 14" rotors are of a lightweight 2_piece design.

Quick Reply: Which BBK?