Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help me! Can this be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free bump, for a great guy who doesn't hesitate to provide personal help locally for fellow evo enthusiasts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tehSteve
free bump, for a great guy who doesn't hesitate to provide personal help locally for fellow evo enthusiasts
Thanks Steve for the generous comment.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't now if you are still working on this, but you might be able to weld a nut to the broken off bolt and try and remove it again. The intense heat from the welding has been known to free really stuck metal and we have done this process when working on cars numerous times. No guarantee, but an option.

Dan
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 PM

I would utilize any easy out after applying a good penetrant overnight. Also consider PB blaster its a good widly available product at most automotive stores. Was this done using air tools? or an extension bar?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Wound up replacing my sub frame due to this.

Luckily I had a local friend who had one lying around.

Any bolt I have removed from my car has had generous amounts of anti seize applied before putting em back in.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawkus
Don't now if you are still working on this, but you might be able to weld a nut to the broken off bolt and try and remove it again. The intense heat from the welding has been known to free really stuck metal and we have done this process when working on cars numerous times. No guarantee, but an option.

Dan
I still haven't work on it yet, but I thought about welding option, I've heard in dealer thats what they do. thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by phastsupra
I would utilize any easy out after applying a good penetrant overnight. Also consider PB blaster its a good widly available product at most automotive stores. Was this done using air tools? or an extension bar?
Both air tool and extension bar won't lose the bolt.

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Wound up replacing my sub frame due to this.

Luckily I had a local friend who had one lying around.

Any bolt I have removed from my car has had generous amounts of anti seize applied before putting em back in.
I was told that subframe might need replacement, but most people I've talked to says this can be fixed w/out replacing subframe. Have you tried any other method?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I stripped a flywheel bolt once and used http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...olt+out+socket

they work great.. so maybe these + that aerokroil stuff n2oiroc suggested? i cant believe some of the **** i see these days happening to evos.

that bolt is big as hell and its in there from factory with 138ft/lbs+ and with that rust im betting its gonna take 180ft/lbs to get loose.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rawkus

Dan
id do this if i had this issue...... great idea!