Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

17" or 18" for track?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am using the stock enkei for the track with 235 40 17 nt01. The nt01 last a long time (compaired to a street tire doing double duty) The car dosent feel "over tire'ed" (is that a real word) for my skill level and the tires are cheaper in 17" and at a 235 rather than a 265 18 which is another point i dont remember reading about yet in this thread.

Then for streets I have a set of nt03+m 18x9.5 with Michelin for drivability and some comfort.

I also like using the stockers for the track because I am some what picky about my wheels and lets face it you really can't keep your wheels from geting damaged on the track it just happens.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:08 AM

Depends on what wheel you get the lighter the better.... It's up too u
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget about the cost difference between 17 and 18. Adds up fast with a track car.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I am very interested in this as well. Since I autocross quite a bit I run RE-11s in 245/45/17 and it feels a lot more precise around corners. Is there a benefit running 17's over 18's vice-versa?
Given the same overall diamter and same width tire, the trade off is weight vs. the sidewall.

The 17 will be lighter whille the thinner sidewall might improve feel/response. But less unsprung weight makes a huge difference.

A "general" rule of thumb is to use wheels that are just big enough to clear your brakes, which is usually a 17 inch wheel for an EVO with standard brembos.

- Andrew
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Don't forget about the cost difference between 17 and 18. Adds up fast with a track car.
that too.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you are a good enough driver to consistently lap within .5 secs, I would say it won't matter which tire size you go with (ok, running 155s might suck...), but either the 17" or a comparable 18" sized tire will be fine. I have not heard of the average driver gaining significant amounts of lap time on an Evo by changing tire diameter. I'd look into a solution that is cost effective over the long haul. If we were talking about a more competitive environment, like spec Miata, then there would probably be enough data to definitively answer the question.

l8r)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
HI

I have Evo VI TME also, and I have numerous wheels for it.

If you are serious about tracking your car, then you need to consider a few things:

1) Brake Dust will cover and corrode wheels, eventually (quickly) making them look ugly and worn. Using nice expensive wheels will break your heart!

2) Before you can truly drive and maximize the potential of your TME on track on R compunds, there will be a long steep learning curve, eventually platoing for a while before you hit the next raise. The cycle is in years, not days or months. In the mean-time, wheels size will have a much lesser or no impact/effect on your performance or your cars performance, so it should not be yet a concern.

3) If you clip a curb or go off-road at the track, you are likely to bend a wheel.
If you bent a nice new lightweight wheel you'll have quiet an expense to deal with, and again, it will break your heart.

4) I solved all these problems by using stock Evo 8/9 wheels and mounting grippy tires that slowly heat-up and last relatively long time: my tire choice currently is BFG R1.

5) Evo VI has much less clearance for wheels/tires in the back, therefore you can not compare or use the experience from an Evo 7/8/9. On 38mm offset, widest R Compound size that fits is 245/40 (17).

I used A048's Yoko's before, and found them to be pretty poor R compunds.
I know there are various compunds of A048's, and I chose carefully before purchasing.
I think of them as an old design, out of date compared to NT01, or many other choices.

The AD08 are awsome, as are RE-11 (Bridgestone) but I hear the new Federal RSR are also excellent, however only available in 255/40x17- and that may not fit the back even on 40 offset wheel.

So to summarize it and add a bit:
Consider using used wheels, E8/9, or aftermarket, as long as they are at least 17x8 and stockish offset.
Use modern R compunds, NT01 are on top of the list along for long wear, as are the BFG R1's. Consider buying used set of wheels tires, and learning to drive the car at 9/10ths.

Update the brake pads first and add brake cooling:
I use Raybestos ST-43, excellent choice, can drive on street to and from track no problem.
I use Forge Brake Cooling kit for E7/8/9, fist fine, with improvisation for duct mounting at the front of the bumper.
Update Brake Fluid to something suitable for track.

Consider using high performance coil-overs that are dual purpose-ish:
Robispec KW V3's would make a great choice, Robi will set you up so that the car is awsome in daily and at track.
Stock TME is great on backroad, but soft for track, although for start it is just fine.
There is lots to learn before needing much more.

NOTE: Evo VI hubs are thinner with smaller bolts for mounting front struts.
You'll need an adapter kit such as sold by EXE-TC in UK. Just email them and ask for the kit.

Best of luck
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:58 AM

I always wondered this, when a friend was deciding what size to go with on his E46 M3 there were opinions on both sizes, with a lot of people saying that the overall lower weight of 17s being the best reason to go with smaller wheels.

Im always interested in what makes more of a difference, so far on all my cars i have just stayed with bone stock wheels and just tried out different tires and etc.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:20 AM

Alpinaturbo what do you think the best size nt01 is on stock evo8 Enkei? I have been running 235 40 does a 245 work better? Or is it a little too wide for track use?
Sorry for all the run on questions!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

what about running a 17x9.5 wheel with a 255/45/17

im planning on doing that.