Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilsteins vs. oem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
rebuild is included assuming you dont have destroyed shafts or other hard parts damaged.
this.

my turn around was around 2 weeks IIRC including shipping time...but im just one state over
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:04 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
I am considering running MR Bilsteins on my RS in combination with GTWORX springs because I am looking for as little drop as possible due to the ultra bomb cratered roads in my country.
Why not just run the factory Bilstein suspension?

Originally Posted by ODUB
if you want a good set of springs for the MR bilstiens, you should get the GT/Worx springs. the rates are already matched to the valving of the bilstien shocks.
I'm really not convinced that's true for several reasons, not the least of which lies in the revalving specs that differ from stock.

FWIW, I've had both the KYBs and the Bilsteins on my car, all with factory springs. In this setup, the Bilsteins are definitely more compliant, which does translate into ride comfort. My car on the factory Bilstein setup and Hankook Evos (stock size) rides like a big Jaguar, if that's what the OP is asking about. Can't comment on the Swifts.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 27, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one really preferred the ride of the OEM KYB's, I've had both on my car and didn't like the Bilsteins's at all. This could have a great deal to do with the swift springs that were on the Bilsteins versus oem springs on the KYB's. Stock for stock, I think I prefer the Bilsteins but try to get a ride with someone if you plan on pairing them with aftermarket springs. Good luck
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
OEM KYB's are pretty harsh in my opinion. I put some Bilstein's on and the ride quality was dramatically better. It's more of a softer ride when you're just crusing around. When you hit a bump, you don't feel that jolt like the OEM KYB's. When you're going fast, it holds its own very well. So overall much better. You will have to get a new set of Swift Spec R's or Sports since the ride height actually goes up in the front compared to OEM KYB's. If you plan on doing minor lapping days for fun, I would consider a set of Swift Spec R's for the Bilsteins. Going to Bilsteins definitely was one of the cheaper mods that made my RS better. You can go a step beyond and have the Bilsteins revalved to bring out the full potential of the Spec R springs, but now you may be spending more than you wanted to in the first place.
i agree with this - went from oem springs + kybs to gtworx springs and bilstein hds - really like the current set up.. though i would love to get ohlins coilovers
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sirsol
I for one really preferred the ride of the OEM KYB's, I've had both on my car and didn't like the Bilsteins's at all. This could have a great deal to do with the swift springs that were on the Bilsteins versus oem springs on the KYB's. Stock for stock, I think I prefer the Bilsteins but try to get a ride with someone if you plan on pairing them with aftermarket springs. Good luck
Which springs were they? The spec R's? or the Sport? I was planning to pair the Bilsteins with aftermarket springs. Assuming the valving is correct for the springs they should ride well. Was this driving on the street or Track? Did you notice increased roll with the bilsteins?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bilstiens + SpecR's are all win vs the Stock KYB setup. Not only will the car handle better, it also does a much better job absorbing small stuff and results in a much smoother ride.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I was thinking of getting robispec springs with the Mr bilstein struts. Good idea or no? I don't track my car but do drag race on occasion. Just looking for better ride and handling but not hurt my 60fts at the same time.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what do you guys consider "handling better"? i know over dampened isnt good and we can all agree that the hd's are "softer" than the stock kyb's but im pretty sure the stock kyb's controlled body motion a bit better and it felt flatter to me. sure the hd's ride better. but it felt like the kyb's "handled better".
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
what do you guys consider "handling better"? i know over dampened isnt good and we can all agree that the hd's are "softer" than the stock kyb's but im pretty sure the stock kyb's controlled body motion a bit better and it felt flatter to me. sure the hd's ride better. but it felt like the kyb's "handled better".
Good question. I'd like to know as well. Would the stock KYB's with stiffer springs handle better than MR Bilsteins + springs, eventhough the ride would suffer?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

I've autocrossed with both Sports and Spec Rs on Bilsteins. They are both great springs. I ended up liking the Spec Rs more because they were slightly stiffer. The Sports rode better for everyday use. My perception might be slightly skewed as I put camber plates and pillow ball mounts on the Spec R at the same time. They maybe slight more compliant without them.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Good question. I'd like to know as well. Would the stock KYB's with stiffer springs handle better than MR Bilsteins + springs, eventhough the ride would suffer?
First off, the spring rate on the stockers (200 F 270 R) is less than say the swift SpecR's (358 F 380 R). The swifts do utilize helper springs of a much lower rate for the first inch or less of travel, but under hard driving, these play almost no role in handling. They do help smooth the ride out under daily road driving.

Secondly, the function of the strut/shock section is not to 'stiffen' the ride. It is to work in conjunction with the springs to control the motion of the suspension and maintain as steady a contact patch as possible on the given wheel. A good example would be a corner on a track where you deliberately hit a rumble strip aggresively. A poorly dampened suspension setup will become 'upset', in an Evo this can also result in the outside tires loosing traction as the inside suspension transmits a lot of the rumble strip impact to the chassis.

There are people on here a lot smarter about this stuff than I am that can chime in. Suffice it to say the misconception that 'stiffer' feeling always translates into better handling is an absolute myth.

First hand, I drove NSS on stock KYB/Springs and less than a month later I drove it on Bilstiens/SpecR's. Absolutely no comparison. Clipping the rumble strips exiting onto the back stretch with the stock setup usually resulted in the car entering a 4-wheel slide briefly. On the new setup, the outer wheels just held traction as the inside wheels took the rumble strip.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

How does spec R compare to an entry level coilover rate of 10K, 8K? I am not a math wiz
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1 (kg / mm) = 55.9974146 pounds / in
Swift Spec R's: front: 157-358 lb/in (6.4k final), rear: 196-380 lb/in (6.8k final) (153-380 for MR). -1.4 in, -0.8 in drop.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
First hand, I drove NSS on stock KYB/Springs and less than a month later I drove it on Bilstiens/SpecR's. Absolutely no comparison. Clipping the rumble strips exiting onto the back stretch with the stock setup usually resulted in the car entering a 4-wheel slide briefly. On the new setup, the outer wheels just held traction as the inside wheels took the rumble strip.
This is in-line with my experience as well. I mostly track at the Autobahn roadcourse in Joliet. With the Bilstein/Spec-R setup I can comfortably take lines that had a fairly high "pucker factor" with the stock suspension.

l8r)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Man, this makes me want to find bilsteins, but by the time I find some, get them re-valved and spec-R springs, I think it will be in the 1200's or so.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs. oem