Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilsteins vs. oem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
Man, this makes me want to find bilsteins, but by the time I find some, get them re-valved and spec-R springs, I think it will be in the 1200's or so.
My thoughts exactly. For that price you can get something that rides well and has adjustability.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by McDougal
My thoughts exactly. For that price you can get something that rides well and has adjustability.

show me one set of coilovers for 1200 that will have the ride quality and last as long as the bilstein/spring setup and I will be all over it... any of the sub 2000 coilover systems are just brutal unless used only for track or hardparking
Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:52 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McDougal
True, if you want some questionably made and harsh riding coilovers. Any coilover with a smidgen of ride comfort will set you back atleast 2k+. This is for entry kw's, hr coilovers, bilstein pss9. Or you can buy my used kw's for 1700 with springs rates that actually work!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to upgrade my GSR to Bilsteins. My plan is to use them in conjunction with a slight drop that something like the Swifts would give me. However, now there is a bit of confusion because apparently some 2005+ GSR received Bilsteins as OEM equipment as opposed to KYB's? Lancershop shows two types of Bilsteins.

I'm guessing I want the yellow "HD" models and I would then have to buy MR type lowering springs, but I was just wondering if someone could offer a bit of clarification - as I am guessing the more expensive (on their site) but non-HD "silver" Bilsteins are comparable to the standard KYBs and don't offer a performance upgrade - even though they say some MRs got them:

Here are the ones I think I need: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=104&page=1

Here are the ones that are throwing me off: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=104&page=1
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Only Evo that came stock with Bilsteins was the MR version, GSR had KYBs.

HDs are the replacement struts from Bilstein. Their valving is slightly firmer than the OEM MRs.

Thats just a stock file from Lancershop. Bilsteins are yellow.

I ran Bilstein HD (all four) with GSR Swift Sports and SpecRs.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Only Evo that came stock with Bilsteins was the MR version, GSR had KYBs.
Yeah, that's the way I understood it, until I saw that second link for the first time.
HDs are the replacement struts from Bilstein. Their valving is slightly firmer than the OEM MRs.
I am hoping they still offer a smoother ride then my stock GSR KYB's as that is my number one concern. I had been under the impression that you HAD to have MR style springs once you change, but I think now I see that it doesn't matter and that they are interchangeable. I would rather have the GSR version of a lowering spring that doesn't drop the back as much as I have a sound system. I will most likely go with the standard Swifts. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. The HDs are softer than the KYBs. Just a little bit firmer than the MRs.

For Swifts, the MR drop the rear less by .14in.

Swift Spec Rs: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 196 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.8 drop.

Swift Spec Rs MR: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 153 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.66 drop.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saxon
show me one set of coilovers for 1200 that will have the ride quality and last as long as the bilstein/spring setup and I will be all over it... any of the sub 2000 coilover systems are just brutal unless used only for track or hardparking
Not true. I have bilstein's PSS9, sub 2000, and the best dd coilover system you can get. Of course, they aren't $1200 (unless used) but if you have 2000 as a budget, get them, without even thinking.
On the other hand, if I had to choose fixed struts I would go with the HD's and springs.
FWIW I got stock KYB (blew one) then got MR bilsteins ( did not like them AT ALL, way too soft) and finally went for the PSS9 ( only because I got tired of waiting for the HD's to become available).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
For Swifts, the MR drop the rear less by .14in.
Uh, oh - is that not backwards from what I read here?:

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
I actually have an email from them before I bought these springs...

As for the differences between the MR(4M017R) and the GSR(4M008R) springs. There is a slight difference between the GSR and the MR spring but it will be noticeable if they are installed. If you were to put an MR spring onto your GSR then the rear end will drop even lower by about 15-20 mill. And vice versa if you were to swap the GSR onto the MR.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Gas pressures are different in the MR Bilsteins. Rear MR springs are 3-4mm higher than the GSR versions. Reason is for the increase pressure the Bilsteins have - as tested by Swift.

PS - doing a driving meet/greet/food run in AL on 2/5:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/so...-2-5-10am.html

Last edited by Smike; Jan 18, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope it's okay to bump this useful thread. I just got my IX RS and I've found the ride to be remarkably rigid for a production car. It reminds me of my old Neon ACR with the struts set at full stiff. This makes for a crisp ride on the street which I certainly don't mind but might not prove the best in the dirt. From what I gather here as well as some other threads, the MR Bilstein setup is slightly more compliant.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slowautoxr
I hope it's okay to bump this useful thread. I just got my IX RS and I've found the ride to be remarkably rigid for a production car. It reminds me of my old Neon ACR with the struts set at full stiff. This makes for a crisp ride on the street which I certainly don't mind but might not prove the best in the dirt. From what I gather here as well as some other threads, the MR Bilstein setup is slightly more compliant.
If you are on the OEM KYB's, they pretty much suck. Bilstiens + good springs, not only handles better, it rides a lot better. First hand experience in my case.

My particular setup was HD Bilstiens and Swift SpecR's. IF I hadn't conveted my car into a dedicated track machine, I would still have that setup on it for DD.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Is lancershop.com the only place to order the bilstien HD`s? I saw them at tirerack.com, but it looked like the fronts were HD and the rears were not... anyone got any clarification on this as I am planning on doing this set up very soon and last time I was on lancershop.com I could not find them on there.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SleepySamurai13
Is lancershop.com the only place to order the bilstien HD`s? I saw them at tirerack.com, but it looked like the fronts were HD and the rears were not... anyone got any clarification on this as I am planning on doing this set up very soon and last time I was on lancershop.com I could not find them on there.
I wondered about this too and even argued with friends about it and why Tirerack listed the rear "HD" and the fronts "Sport".

If you look up the part number for the "Sport", which are the fronts, it will come up as "Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty".
This website has both with the part numbers.
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?VC=92Q24&SubChar=Q

This website also has both front and rear listed as "HD" with matching part number from the link above.
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/ht...year='2005'

And lastly, I managed to find a thread about this.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...in-shocks.html
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
There are no Bilstein Sports for EVO....what is shown as "Sports" are really just HD.

- Andrew
Asking the same question on HD and Sport.
Originally Posted by WickedOne
I was just looking at TireRack and here is what i found.

Bilstein HD Shock
Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-B844-H0
rear fitment

Bilstein Sport Strut
Manufacturer Part #: F4-VE3-B843-H2
Front Fitment

those are the only availability. So pretty much you are getting a pair of sport and a pair of HD altogether if you want 4 of them?

Oh and estimated availability is less than 3. <------ meaning there might not be any in stock?
Neal@tirerack's response:
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Those part numbers are for the HD front/rear. We have one complete set in Nevada right now and two extra fronts in Indiana.
And there you have it. What's listed as "Sport" is actually "HD". There is no "Sport" for the Evo.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

@ Piro Fyre
thank you sir for the info!

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs. oem