Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
I ran into that issue when trying to purchase the Hankook V12 (Indefinite hold), after talking with Discount Tire they threw me a price cut on the RS-3s and I bit on them for 255/40/17. Ordered on Tuesday, delivered on Friday
Whats your set up? Rim size, suspension/alignment specs, do you have any rubbing?

They just seem like a tad to much tire for the stock wheels. I've run several 255's but the BFG R1's did rub a tad on the frame at full lock. Also turn is really suffers, it's night and day difference going from stock size to the 255's for turn in.

I notice it when auto crossing a LOT, lots of grip but can't get the car to turn in for **** on 255's.

Last edited by Nasty Evolution; Apr 24, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
Whats your set up? Rim size, suspension/alignment specs, do you have any rubbing?

They just seem like a tad to much tire for the stock wheels. I've run several 255's but the BFG R1's did rub a tad on the frame at full lock. Also turn is really suffers, it's night and day difference going from stock size to the 255's for turn in.

I notice it when auto crossing a LOT, lots of grip but can't get the car to turn in for **** on 255's.
17x8.5 Volk CE28N Megan Racing Coilovers Alignment - Optimal, can't tell you the specifics, but no tire wear on winters after 7000 miles.
Rubs only on right rear when going over bumps or going around left turns due to car being too low. With turn in there is no rubbing.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
17x8.5 Volk CE28N Megan Racing Coilovers Alignment - Optimal, can't tell you the specifics, but no tire wear on winters after 7000 miles.
Rubs only on right rear when going over bumps or going around left turns due to car being too low. With turn in there is no rubbing.
Thank you sir.. so the rubbing you get is it fender rubbing?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
Thank you sir.. so the rubbing you get is it fender rubbing?
Outside fender lip.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read through this whole thread but have not seen what pressures you guys are running on the track? I am thinking at least 40psi hot? Tyres are being fitted tomorrow and I have two weeks til my next track day so any help would be good.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

I would doubt the pressures require being that high.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have any of you used rs3's for drag racing?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:08 PM

Ran RS3s, Star Specs, and Sumitomo HTR-ZIIIs (though they really don't compare) on my old S2000. I liked the Dunlops best overall for daily driving (they just felt better to me in the wet), but the Hankooks put the biggest smile on my face in the mountains fwiw. Think I'll be ordering RS3s for the new Evo asap... the Eagle GTs that came wrapped around the stock BBS are NOT gonna cut it.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by osnap
Ran RS3s, Star Specs, and Sumitomo HTR-ZIIIs (though they really don't compare) on my old S2000. I liked the Dunlops best overall for daily driving (they just felt better to me in the wet), but the Hankooks put the biggest smile on my face in the mountains fwiw. Think I'll be ordering RS3s for the new Evo asap... the Eagle GTs that came wrapped around the stock BBS are NOT gonna cut it.

I am in the same boat, my BBS are wrapped in KUMO high performance all seasons. I was thinking about the star specs but now this thread has me thinking otherwise. Still not sure though.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

If you are not competing at a high level in autox or similar... RS3 for sure, lower cost, similar grip... it is what I would do anyway...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:53 AM

I still think the AD08 is the best overall street tire on the market but in terms of grip and lap times, the hankook rs3 and kumho xs have proven to be the fastest street tires on the market. Grassroots Motorsports tested the Kumho XS, Hankook RS3, Toyo R1R, Falken RT615K, BStone Potenza RE11 and Dunlop StarSpec in two different magazine test sometime last year and the XS came out on top both times. Korean tires are known for being able to handle heat really well, but the sidewalls are on the softer side. Im not sure if anyone mentioned the Federal RSR, those tires are great when they're stickers, but they cant handle heat for **** on the track and go to crap after a few hard heat cycles.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Strange Woodstock, no evos seem to run the XS for autocross work... at least not the fast guys.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
I still think the AD08 is the best overall street tire on the market but in terms of grip and lap times, the hankook rs3 and kumho xs have proven to be the fastest street tires on the market. Grassroots Motorsports tested the Kumho XS, Hankook RS3, Toyo R1R, Falken RT615K, BStone Potenza RE11 and Dunlop StarSpec in two different magazine test sometime last year and the XS came out on top both times. Korean tires are known for being able to handle heat really well, but the sidewalls are on the softer side. Im not sure if anyone mentioned the Federal RSR, those tires are great when they're stickers, but they cant handle heat for **** on the track and go to crap after a few hard heat cycles.
As so many people have pointed out, the GRM tests are on a Miata, which has pretty much nothing to do with what tires you should run on an Evo
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I didn't have as much luck with this tire as some people are having. This is my front tire after last weekend's track day (first non-drag track day):

After a few laps they got really hot and greasy on me. This weekend I will try to run more tire pressure and see if it helps. More camber to come later on when I get coilovers. But even with more camber I can see them getting hot and greasy again when pushed hard.

In comparison my friends with ad08s had no problems with their tires and their tire looked in way better shape after the event. One was running an STi with even less tire pressure than me (30psi hot vs 32).
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
Is that rubber build up?

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*