Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm going to try the RS-3's next year for street duty/autocross (10-15 events) next year.

I've been on
Street tires:
AD07's (never autoxed, just DD'd)
Star specs (really liked these for a street/autox tire)
NT05's (didn't like as much as the Dunlops for the street/autox)

Not for the street:
A032R's (sucked ***** for autox)
Hankook's Z214 (INSANE grip obviously, even for just the c51 compound). A local guy who's consistently ran A6's, tried a set of the C51 Z214's and he even thought they were slightly faster than the A6's. This coming from a past National Champ that's been in the game for 10+ years. The prices on these are pretty competitive too, unless you step up to the c71/c91 compounds which are more on par with A6's.

I can't wait to try these out. Most likely I'll be going with a 255/40/17 unless I step up to an 18" setup next year.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great discussion guys. Thank you very much! I've been waiting a long time to hear from someone who actually uses the RS3's. Now, having said that, just because Nitto NT01's are advertised as a DOT approved competition radial, it doesn't automatically make it better than another brand's extreme summer. Companies can advertise whatever they want, it still comes down to performance and lap times. I think we should respect people's opinions and comments, especially when they have been tested on track by a driver who have used both brand of tires.

I had a feeling the RS3's would not be that great in the wet. Kinda like the Kumho's. And the limited sizing really does suck. Dying to see some Tire Rack charts. Those tests and charts are awesome to stare at when researching tires.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^word. I need to pick up a set now for testing You cant go wrong for $125ea
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodood

They are under the "Competition" Tire category but they don't have an "R" in the model

toyo R1R not an R comp tire.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not sponsored by Hankook, I wish I was, and I have the receipts for the tires I purchased if anyone really wants to check. The tires have proven faster than NT01's repeatedly. Attached is GPS lateral acceleration data from Autoclub Speedway this November at Redline Time Attack's final. This is the record lap set on Hankook RS3 255/40 17 tires. Note the 1.71 G peak was set in the banking, but over 1.4! G was reached in the infield which has no banking. Granted the Professional Awesome Evo is very well prepared, but the tires contribute quite a bit.

Dan

Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

well I guess I underestimated them. Good info. Glad to hear they are a big upgrade to the RS2s..because they just sucked.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawkus

Playing devils advocate here, what data was used and how is lateral acceleration calculated? If you used GPS, what was the sample rate and how many points did you use to smooth? If there was a hardware accelerometer, how was it calibrated? Was that on concrete or asphalt?

No doubt the car is very well prepared. In hundreds of hours of logging virtually every top street tire (dunlop, bridgestone, hankook, yoko, falken, toyo, kuhmo, I've never seen consistent 1.4s on a flat surface. I do have a few logs with numbers that high, but it's always some kind fluke in a transient state -- the car on bump, bouncing, etc.

Sorry to go slightly offtopic.

cheers,

d
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
...I had a feeling the RS3's would not be that great in the wet....
Actually they are pretty decent in the wet. It's just when cold that I didn't like them.

They are fine when hot (warm) and wet.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Playing devils advocate here, what data was used and how is lateral acceleration calculated? If you used GPS, what was the sample rate and how many points did you use to smooth? If there was a hardware accelerometer, how was it calibrated? Was that on concrete or asphalt?

No doubt the car is very well prepared. In hundreds of hours of logging virtually every top street tire (dunlop, bridgestone, hankook, yoko, falken, toyo, kuhmo, I've never seen consistent 1.4s on a flat surface. I do have a few logs with numbers that high, but it's always some kind fluke in a transient state -- the car on bump, bouncing, etc.

Sorry to go slightly offtopic.

cheers,

d
According to Wikipedia the surface of Auto Club Speedway is asphalt. It was calculated with GPS using an AIM Sport MXL Pista dash. I cannot tell you the sample rate or how many points unfortunately, but as I am sure you know the AIM Sport MXL is commonly used in all forms of motorsports. I do have data with the built in accelerometer, but I do not have that handy at the moment, I can post it later.

Our car corners extremely well and we beat the previous record by a full second with approx 250 less wheel horsepower on a track with over a half mile straight. We pride ourselves on being able to turn well!

Dan
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm for the subscribe. I'm thinking of using these for a track tire since I want to be able to drive home on them.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has turned into a real good thread Probably pick a set up for myself soon for the new season. They are $500 a set and if they are indeed close to NT01's thats a steal in my book. Anything has to be better than NT05's in the rain too...those are just downright scary.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawkus
According to Wikipedia the surface of Auto Club Speedway is asphalt. It was calculated with GPS using an AIM Sport MXL Pista dash. I cannot tell you the sample rate or how many points unfortunately, but as I am sure you know the AIM Sport MXL is commonly used in all forms of motorsports. I do have data with the built in accelerometer, but I do not have that handy at the moment, I can post it later.
Gotcha.

My experience with several GPS loggers (maxq, trakmate, aim, etc.) is that the peak g values tend to be a little suspect. Compared to real accelerometer, they have a very hard time catching quick or violent events. It's bitten me quite hard when testing tires.

I do agree that the RS3 is an awesome tire. There's a set mounted on my race car right now. However, my testing has not shown them to be as fast as the next tier, which is the harder compound race tires (NT01, RA1, R888).

While I'm thinking about it...Like many high performance tires, I found a significant increase in grip after one very, very good heat cycle. The RE01R/RE11 is the same way. This is in contrast to the Z1 which was _fast_ by the 3rd lap. As always YMMV.

d
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha.

My experience with several GPS loggers (maxq, trakmate, aim, etc.) is that the peak g values tend to be a little suspect. Compared to real accelerometer, they have a very hard time catching quick or violent events.
I agree with you, but that's why I am not a huge fan of real accelerometers. They have huge g's that are more representative of bumps and dips of the road. The GPS tends to be more of a 'smoothed' reading. Luckily I have both, sadly I am 'working' right now so I can't access all of the data.

Dan
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotcha.

My experience with several GPS loggers (maxq, trakmate, aim, etc.) is that the peak g values tend to be a little suspect. Compared to real accelerometer, they have a very hard time catching quick or violent events. It's bitten me quite hard when testing tires.

I do agree that the RS3 is an awesome tire. There's a set mounted on my race car right now. However, my testing has not shown them to be as fast as the next tier, which is the harder compound race tires (NT01, RA1, R888).

While I'm thinking about it...Like many high performance tires, I found a significant increase in grip after one very, very good heat cycle. The RE01R/RE11 is the same way. This is in contrast to the Z1 which was _fast_ by the 3rd lap. As always YMMV.

d
Curious have you dealt with RA1 much? How much longer do they last over NT01's? My car isn't a DD but still wouldn't mind a tire I can take on the street every now and again. Being in Seattle NT01's aren't that practical just in case rain hits and the camber I run even eats NT05's pretty hard on the street.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodood
Actually they are pretty decent in the wet. It's just when cold that I didn't like them.

They are fine when hot (warm) and wet.
Gotcha. How cold are we talking about. I know all the extreme summer category turn into bowling ***** when it is near freezing. It snowed in Seattle in Novemeber and I was still rolling Z1's..........that was quite the experience. Are we talking that cold? Or did you mean tires were cold and the weather was also cold and they didn't work too well. Curious with that spin out you had....

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Dec 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*