Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And the two measuring devices combined from Autoclub Speedway. Side note, these are both sampled at 10hz.

And some cool data on OLD RS-3's from Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI. I have a lot more comfort and experience at this track. There is a little camber to some of these turns, but not much, I would guess just a couple of degrees.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*-gps-accel.png   Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*-gingerman-data.png  
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a pair, have only put about 800 miles on them (city streets/highway)
i definitely notice the grip compared to some random old set on my car.
just remember they are summer tires. and should not be used in snow at all
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Rawkus-

Some nice data there. It seems they are a great track tire. However you mentioned not so great when they are cold. How long does it take to heat these up to acceptable limits, and would you reccomend these for an autocross tire? thanks in advance.

-J
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

I have 2 sets of these, 255/40/17 and 265/35/18. Im use to running the nt05's but mann after switching to RS 3's id never buy a set of nt05s again. Car handles real good, like a spaceship

rs 3 like a spaceship...
nt05 not like a spaceship...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mean4g63
Rawkus-

Some nice data there. It seems they are a great track tire. However you mentioned not so great when they are cold. How long does it take to heat these up to acceptable limits, and would you reccomend these for an autocross tire? thanks in advance.

-J
I never have had any issues with them 'cold' at the track. I normally do one or two warm up laps to familiarize with the track and then really build up the speed. These tires have gripped well in TRACK conditions as cold as about 45 degrees ambient (when those above Gingerman numbers were achieved) up to about 110 degrees at Sebring this summer. As far as autocross, they have proven to be great on both my Evo and my friend's 07 Civic SI coupe, he is a far more serious autoxer than me though. I have never driven these tires in cold conditions on the street so I can't really comment what would happen, but having driven Falken RT615's and Hankook RS-2's through winter, I wouldn't recommend it ever!!!

Dan
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
Gotcha. How cold are we talking about. I know all the extreme summer category turn into bowling ***** when it is near freezing. It snowed in Seattle in Novemeber and I was still rolling Z1's..........that was quite the experience. Are we talking that cold? Or did you mean tires were cold and the weather was also cold and they didn't work too well. Curious with that spin out you had....
Spin out occured first thing in the am (overcast morning, prolly about 9am) on cold tires about trying to catch a yellow light for a left turn at an intersection about 200 meters out of my drive way. Outside temp was prolly about 55ish the tires were likely still quite a bit colder and street temp???? still pretty cold I'd assume.

I had made the turn at similar speed before prolly 100 times...you know the drill close to home, yada yada. But never on those tires at that temp. and they were apparently a little grumpy still that morning.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbsears
Curious have you dealt with RA1 much? How much longer do they last over NT01's?
That's a _whole_ conversation. I can speak at length about them, but I don't want to clog up this thread...

PM for details.

d
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Good input. Interesting observation on the NT05's. Really felt they are faster than NT01's as well?
Originally Posted by rawkus
Turn in Concept's was 2 seconds a lap faster at Nashville Super Speedway in 2009 with Dunlop Star Specs vs NT05's.

And yes, at all tracks we do our testing on NT01's as they handle abuse well and are consistant, but the Hankook RS-3's have been faster each and every time in a heads up comparison, not by much, but always faster.

Dan
I went from NT05's to Z1's and have never looked back. I also run at Nashville frequently and the NT05's were shot after three MILD HPDE days when I was a complete track noob. They weren't bad new, but they can't take the heat range an Evo generates driven hard. Smike saw the tires, hard as a rock.

That said, I am tickled with the Z1's. Good grip and they wear like iron. Just what someone trying to get lots of seat time (like me) needs.

I will keep an eye out for reports on the RS3. Never hurts to have options.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Rawkus-

Just out of curiosity have you ever driven on the Kumho XS's? Apparently they are supposed to be the best tires out there for lateral grip (as well as being proven at SCCA nationals). However I have heard complaints when they are cold and wet weather they are bad, and the other problem I have heard is they are sloppy, and turn-in isn't very good. It sounds like to me that it is very similar to the V700's I ran years ago. I personally didn't like the V700s because of how sloppy they are on a track, and it was very hard to dial out the understeer because of this. I tried many different pressures on the V700s and just couldnt get it right.

Your thoughts on the XS VS the RS3? thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
anyone runninig the 255/40-17 on the stock wheels? fits without too much drama?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
I've ran both the NT05's and Star specs in a 255/40/17 on the stock wheel. No probs...
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
I've ran both the NT05's and Star specs in a 255/40/17 on the stock wheel. No probs...
cool thx
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mean4g63
Rawkus-

Just out of curiosity have you ever driven on the Kumho XS's? Apparently they are supposed to be the best tires out there for lateral grip (as well as being proven at SCCA nationals). However I have heard complaints when they are cold and wet weather they are bad, and the other problem I have heard is they are sloppy, and turn-in isn't very good. It sounds like to me that it is very similar to the V700's I ran years ago. I personally didn't like the V700s because of how sloppy they are on a track, and it was very hard to dial out the understeer because of this. I tried many different pressures on the V700s and just couldnt get it right.

Your thoughts on the XS VS the RS3? thanks in advance.
I don't have enough experience with the XS's to give a great comparison to the RS3's. I have been on the track and street with them and to me they do not have the same level of grip and lose grip as they wear. I also felt they wore more quickly than they should have. I can't say about wet weather or cold as I haven't driven them much in those conditions.

Dan
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anybody tried the federal 595 rsr? I have heard great things about them, but I never see any evo's running them.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

The Federal's are very tough to get ahold of. I have heard good things from the lucky few drivers that get the opportunity to run with them.

Dan

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*