Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i would recommend against 255s. i had 255s on my BBS wheels at one point. it was very mushy and unresponsive feeling. the sidewall was very straight, if not a little ballooned out..i can't really remember exactly, as it was about a year ago.

my next set was a 245 tire on a 9" wheel. it had a slight stretch, so the responsiveness was night and day. it was very precise and felt like a completely different car.

a lot of people bag on stretched tires, but if you look at a lot of road race/time attack cars, they run a narrow tire on a wide rim. the Cyber Evo comes to mind. i don't mean "drift" stretched, but just a bit. i'd post a picture, if i could find some.

cyber evo runs 255s but on a 9.5" wheel. slight stretch.
I had the same experience. I put 255/40's on OEM BBS's, and I didn't like them one bit. Definitely 'mushy and unresponsive' as you put it. I very quickly found a 9.5" wheel, and it absolutely transformed the tire. The stretch is very slight, but it feels ten times better. The steering is much better and the wheel doesn't feel like it moves around on the tire like the 8" wheel did.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChanseEvo8
Depending on the style of wheel you chooses, spacers maybe needed to clear the brembo especially when you are going wide with a lower offset.
Yeah. Basically I want some Rota Grids with a aggressive offset. A vendor on here said 17x9 +25 will fit perfect with no spacers or fender rolling. I'd like to see how those look on an evo.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RS
I had the same experience. I put 255/40's on OEM BBS's, and I didn't like them one bit. Definitely 'mushy and unresponsive' as you put it. I very quickly found a 9.5" wheel, and it absolutely transformed the tire. The stretch is very slight, but it feels ten times better. The steering is much better and the wheel doesn't feel like it moves around on the tire like the 8" wheel did.
I did an auto-x with that combo. S u c k e d. Lol. I will forever run stretched tires. Car handles great that way.

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
Yeah. Basically I want some Rota Grids with a aggressive offset. A vendor on here said 17x9 +25 will fit perfect with no spacers or fender rolling. I'd like to see how those look on an evo.
My wheels are +25 and fit, as long as I don't lower the car too much, but they are 10". Yours should be fine.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Out of curiosity, to the people that say a 255 on an 8 inch rim, what tires were you using?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by hikaru
out of curiosity, to the people that say a 255 on an 8 inch rim, what tires were you using?
bfg kdw2
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ummmmmm, yeah, that tire sux. Tires with stiffer sidewalls like the Z1 star spec are better for running a 255/40 17 on an 8 inch rim (although an 8.5 or 9 inch would be ideal). Many people have run 255/40 on stock wheels for autox with much success for years and years.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:51 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Hikaru
^ummmmmm, yeah, that tire sux. Tires with stiffer sidewalls like the Z1 star spec are better for running a 255/40 17 on an 8 inch rim (although an 8.5 or 9 inch would be ideal). Many people have run 255/40 on stock wheels for autox with much success for years and years.
Good to see we agree and just because many have done it doesn't make it work any better.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

^actually it works really well, hence why people have been doing it for years. It just needs to be the right tire. But for most people out there the need to go over the stock tire size just isn't there as far as autox goes.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 08:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Hikaru
^actually it works really well, hence why people have been doing it for years. It just needs to be the right tire. But for most people out there the need to go over the stock tire size just isn't there as far as autox goes.
I guess I'm going off the assumption sharp handling characteristics would be more important in auto-x since the transitions are faster then a road course. At Buttonwillow, i can compensate for a mushy tire. At our auto-x events, i can't.
I'm not trying to say you are wrong, just that most serious motorsports driver's may disagree. After a short bit of Googling, I have yet to find any teams/cars/drivers using a 255 on anything less than a 9"wheel.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

many many people have been running a 255 tires on an 8 inch wheel. I know smike had done that with much success. it all depends on what your application is for, and if for racing what the rules are.

personally I like to get as much tires and as big of a contact patch as possible with the appropriate camber. that being said, a proper sized wheel will help with that. there a fine line between putting too much tires on a small wheel and being hella jdm flush.

a 255 sits perfect on a 9inch wheel from a performance standpoint. I personally run 265 Z1s on a 9.5 in wheel. no stretching, stiff sidewall, handles great. its all about goals for the car, tire, wheel size, sidewall stiffness, rules etc. to each there own!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:26 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by boostedtres

personally I like to get as much tires and as big of a contact patch as possible with the appropriate camber. that being said, a proper sized wheel will help with that.

a 255 sits perfect on a 9inch wheel from a performance standpoint. I personally run 265 Z1s on a 9.5 in wheel. no stretching, stiff sidewall, handles great. its all about goals for the car, tire, wheel size, sidewall stiffness, rules etc. to each there own!
I agree.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

LOL, I think we are all thinking and agree on the the same things guys. Personally I run a 255/35 on my 9 inch Advan (cuz it fits the best). I was just saying that a 255/40 on an 8 inch is done a lot and is proven to work well given the right tire and application...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I have read through almost all of this thread. I am looking into buying 18x10 +25 offset wheels for my Evo 8. I was wondering what size spacers and what will be needed for these wheels to fit. I greatly appreciate any and all help.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

currently im running evo x wheels w/265s on my 9. i have coilovers, no fender mods, and no rubbing whatsoever. the clearance is tight but there are no issues. if i downgraded, will mr bilsteins+ tanabe gf210s work with my wheel/tire combo without my tires rubbing? i know they will fit with 245s but idk about the 265s
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoluvin
Okay, I have read through almost all of this thread. I am looking into buying 18x10 +25 offset wheels for my Evo 8. I was wondering what size spacers and what will be needed for these wheels to fit. I greatly appreciate any and all help.
spacers would be dependent on the style of wheel, but with that offset, there is a good chance that you wouldn't need any spacers.

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions