Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 02:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by VeebeeIX
I am looking at purchasing a set of Rota Grid in 18 x 9.5, ET 38
I already have tyres Pzero tyres in 255/35/18.

Currently have Enkei RC T4 in 18 x 9J, ET35.

Will there be any issues in changing to the Rota Grid with the width being wider ? Rear fenders are rolled already but not sure about the space and clearance on the inside to the shock.
Your RCT4 is original Enkei Japan? If so why want to downgrade to Rota???
Old Mar 26, 2021, 02:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
Your RCT4 is original Enkei Japan? If so why want to downgrade to Rota???
Yes they are original Enkei.
I want a change of look and Rays are too expensive to get to South Africa. We are very limited here with parts. I will also keep the Enkei's so will have 2 sets of wheels.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Yes they are original Enkei.
I want a change of look and Rays are too expensive to get to South Africa. We are very limited here with parts. I will also keep the Enkei's so will have 2 sets of wheels.
If I were you I'd just keep using the RCT4 and would not buy Rota, not worth it IMHO. Based on my experiences looking at used wheels, Rota is the most I found got cracks (seen 3 cases so far). If you want value for money I suggest you get a Konig instead, proven better and probably cheaper too. I am using Konig Hypergram now, almost as light as Enkei RPF1 for about half the price only.

As for the size question, you might have inside clearance issue cuz the tires will be 1.3cm more inward.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 06:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a set of Rota Grid in 18 x 9.5, ET 38
I already have tyres Pzero tyres in 255/35/18.

Currently have Enkei RC T4 in 18 x 9J, ET35.

Will there be any issues in changing to the Rota Grid with the width being wider ? Rear fenders are rolled already but not sure about the space and clearance on the inside to the shock.
@VeebeeIX

Should be OK running the 9.5" ROTA's. Should be clear to the strut especially due to the 255 tires. The +38 offset is certainly helping w/the fit as well as your rear fender roll

I too have been running ROTA's on the street. Too heavy for the track as i run ADVANs there. My ROTA's (P45R's 17x9.5 +30A) have been bullet proof & they have many wheels that fit over the front Brembos
Did a little internet research on ROTA & i believe them to be a very high quality wheel. At one time ROTA pumped out 50,000 wheels in one month. You cant produce that many wheels & survive as a company (with all the legal pitfalls) delivering that many wheels

Any more questions, just let me know / Cheers, Joe
The following users liked this post:
VeebeeIX (Mar 27, 2021)
Old Mar 26, 2021, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
@everkain

Only way to know is if someone else has used that wheel or you do a test fit. I searched our forum & could not any info regarding caliper clearance on either the DR's or the CS's.

There is no simple math or other technique that I know of. Its all in the spoke & hub design that dictates caliper clearance

Is there any way of doing a test fit?

The wheel size you noted as 18x9.5 +35 is certainly a good offset for the EvO rear. The 9.5" width is aggressive & will make whatever tire size you run look as wide as possible. A nice 265/35 would be great!

Sorry cant help w/the front spacer question
Any other questions, feel free to ask
thanks for all the help. I think either of those wheels are going to be a tough fit given their spoke design. If i were to switch gears and look at some Advan RGD2's what would be a good size to look into? Are you familiar with Carbyne Sprints? They are similar to the Advans and come in 18x9 +12 and 18x9.5 +22. would any of these fit without too much work?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 07:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by everkain
thanks for all the help. I think either of those wheels are going to be a tough fit given their spoke design. If i were to switch gears and look at some Advan RGD2's what would be a good size to look into? Are you familiar with Carbyne Sprints? They are similar to the Advans and come in 18x9 +12 and 18x9.5 +22. would any of these fit without too much work?
Yeah, the Advans will likely fit over the Brembos (please double check before ordering). I have a set of 17x9 ADVAN RGII's +29 & they fit over the Brembos w/out spacers.

Regarding the Advan size = 18x9 or 17x9 +29 to +35 would be good to look at. If you dont mind a bit more rear fit work the 9.5" width would be more of an aggressive fit & gets that tire footprint a bit wider

Not familiar w/the Carbynes? But that +12 would be an absolute nightmare to fit in the rear. The +22's would be tough as well if youre OK w/some serious rear fender work. Your best offset range for minimal work is approx +32 to +38
Old Mar 27, 2021, 03:29 AM

@VeebeeIX

Should be OK running the 9.5" ROTA's. Should be clear to the strut especially due to the 255 tires. The +38 offset is certainly helping w/the fit as well as your rear fender roll

I too have been running ROTA's on the street. Too heavy for the track as i run ADVANs there. My ROTA's (P45R's 17x9.5 +30A) have been bullet proof & they have many wheels that fit over the front Brembos
Did a little internet research on ROTA & i believe them to be a very high quality wheel. At one time ROTA pumped out 50,000 wheels in one month. You cant produce that many wheels & survive as a company (with all the legal pitfalls) delivering that many wheels

Any more questions, just let me know / Cheers, Joe
I have read online and guys believe the Rota to be poor quality but there are loads of good reviews.

I won't be doing much track time, and if i do I will have original Evo 9 wheels with semi slicks on them, that might only be once or twice a year.

For me the Rota is just going to be a daily wheel which offers a good look, it seems the best value for money and Driftworks UK offer shipping at really good prices to South Africa.
They don't have a 35 offset wheel so the 38 will have to do, will also help to lower the car more for a more aggressive look.
MinusPrevious (Mar 27, 2021)
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

et12 will not fit cuz poke out way too much. Even et22 will still rub at the rear cuz it will be line ball very flush with the outside of the fenders. The most aggressive offset you can push to still clear with just fender lip rolling I think is et25 (based on measurements on my E9).
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
et12 will not fit cuz poke out way too much. Even et22 will still rub at the rear cuz it will be line ball very flush with the outside of the fenders. The most aggressive offset you can push to still clear with just fender lip rolling I think is et25 (based on measurements on my E9).
thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I don’t want to go past rolling the fenders. So like a et30-et35 would be a safe bet I’m assuming.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 09:50 PM

I had a look at the rear and see there's very little clearance between tyre and rear trailing arm.

My current wheels are 9j, et35 with 255 wide tyres.
concerned that 9.5j with et38 will bring the tyre too close to the arm. There is only about 1cm of space currently.

are there aftermarket arms which offer more clearance at the rear ?
what else can be done here to avoid any rubbing ?

Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I don’t want to go past rolling the fenders. So like a et30-et35 would be a safe bet I’m assuming.
Yes et30-35 is OK depending on tire width. If 255 safer with et35 while 245 can go down too et30.

I had a look at the rear and see there's very little clearance between tyre and rear trailing arm.

My current wheels are 9j, et35 with 255 wide tyres.
concerned that 9.5j with et38 will bring the tyre too close to the arm. There is only about 1cm of space currently.

are there aftermarket arms which offer more clearance at the rear ?
what else can be done here to avoid any rubbing ?

Easier to just get wheels et30-35.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 06:19 AM

Will I get away without any touching on the rear trailing arm with 9.5J, ET30 wheels with 255 wide tyres ?
Also will there be any issues on the front ?

Old Mar 29, 2021, 02:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
245/45R17 Fit with the XYZ Off-road Rally suspension. Next time they go bigger!

245/45R17 & XYZ Rally

6.5in of ground clearance
Old Mar 29, 2021, 02:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Will I get away without any touching on the rear trailing arm with 9.5J, ET30 wheels with 255 wide tyres ?
Also will there be any issues on the front ?
Yeah, no problem at all w/rear arm clearance & a +30 wheel. Trouble begins running wide rubber (275 & up) & +38 wheels
VeebeeIX (Mar 29, 2021)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:44 PM

Yeah, no problem at all w/rear arm clearance & a +30 wheel. Trouble begins running wide rubber (275 & up) & +38 wheels
Great thanks, appreciate it.

Last question, does the Rota Grid in ET30 clear the front Brembo's ? the 9.5j is quite a deep concave, concerned the spokes might not clear the front.
Have sent emails to rota but still waiting for a reply.
MinusPrevious (Mar 30, 2021)

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions