Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Debating on TIRES!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its a "real", high mileage DD, I would go for the Continental DWS's. I've put about 5K on mine and have been very happy. Great highway manners, AMAZING wear, and good grip for an all season.

If you're looking for a much more sporty DD, however, the star specs hands down. I ran those for about 10K and was very happy with them. Only real downside is they are awful when it gets cold, so don't drive or have alternate tires.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

^^^^^^

This
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i ran yokohama advan sport tires... they lasted 22k... they would have lasted longer but my alignment got thrown off when someone ran me off the road, when i noticed how short the front had gotten i swapped them to the back... but then 2 weeks later i noticed they had gone bald... i was like WTF!!! alignment shop said my toe was off-3* on each side...

anyway these tires were amazing. very responsive. very sticky. and handled amazing on snow and water...

they were replaced by kumho ecsta's... ****ing horrible!!! so noisy and so stiff they are horrible. and when its cold they don't grip at all... almost got me in a couple accidents now... turbo goes boost... car goes sideways... its rarely cold so it always catches me off guard...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

I had the Invo's I absolutely loved them no issues for 3 years, but now I'm looking at BF goodrich G-Force T/A KDW ... I hope I'm not dissapointed.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

You will be disappointed with KDW's

Originally Posted by GBAILEY472
I had the Invo's I absolutely loved them no issues for 3 years, but now I'm looking at BF goodrich G-Force T/A KDW ... I hope I'm not dissapointed.
I have KDW's. They grip well but they are way too loud, at highway speeds they roar down the road like like a freight train. I have about 6k on them and they are about 50% tread left. Again, grip is very good but my car is already loud enough.

Try these out. I had them before and will be going back to them soon. Best traction I've had from any tire hands down wet or dry! Lasted about 18k of aggressive street driving and dead silent at any speed.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...&nichtweiter=1
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good info in this thread. I need to buy tires really soon, so I will be coming back here and then I'll make a decision. Any other responses?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Getting rid of my Hankook V12's and putting on some NT05's **** hankook and there ****ty tires. Took all of 10 min to decide they where junk....
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

One note on KDW's: I had them for about 10K miles on another car (not evo), they started as a very nice tire and ended with me absolutely hating them. After 5K miles, they were LOUD. I don't mean "oh, I can hear my tires", I mean "holy sh*t, what is that noise??". Keep in mind, this is a car with a straight through, non catted 3" exhaust, cams, with solid motor mounts so obviously, my tolerance for noise and discomfort should be high but honestly, it was ridiculous. I got rid of them as soon as I could.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sirsol
One note on KDW's: I had them for about 10K miles on another car (not evo), they started as a very nice tire and ended with me absolutely hating them. After 5K miles, they were LOUD. I don't mean "oh, I can hear my tires", I mean "holy sh*t, what is that noise??". Keep in mind, this is a car with a straight through, non catted 3" exhaust, cams, with solid motor mounts so obviously, my tolerance for noise and discomfort should be high but honestly, it was ridiculous. I got rid of them as soon as I could.
I second this whole heartedly! These are on my Evo now and it's the loudest part of the car.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:18 AM

Lots of responses on the KDWs already, but I will emphasize again they can be VERY loud. Had them on a SRT-4. Excellent dry grip, decent wet grip, deathtrap in anything under 35 degrees...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you say you're going to the track... do you actually want to be competitive at the track? or do you just want to roll around to say you're on a track, while getting the brakes beat off your car by everything around you? you say it's not a dd, so i'd go with something with some grip. i ran NT05's on my IX MR, and went through probably 5-6 sets? loved them. best tire i've ever driven on hands down. i got 15,000+ miles out of them DD'ing and autocrossing when work schedule permitted. right before i sold the IX MR, i was going to give the Hankook RS3's a shot because they are FAST. someone said something about the 140 treadwear, but the stock tires are only like 140. the NT05's are 200, but those numbers are all arbitrary between companies anyway, sooo lol

the neo gen is a decent tire. i ran them on my honda accord before, and the grip was okay....i swapped to the old falken azenis sports (the performance tire before the 615) and it was like night and day. i put a set of neo gen's on my gf's TSX when we changed the wheels, but i'd never run them on an EVO.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

the NT05 are to loud buddy. I went with the Nitto Invo
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

my Sumitomo HTR Z III wore down with in 15k miles. wont buy that tire again.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I've got 25k on my Kuhmo ASX's. I put them through 2 winters in Pennsylvania.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

NT05 is quiet, grips well and last long time, tread wear rating is 300, I think 300 is reasonable for the street car.

Quick Reply: Debating on TIRES!!!