Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Debating on TIRES!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating on TIRES!!!

I am about to pick up some new tires for new wheels I have coming in. Picking up some 18x9.5 with an offset of +25. Im trying to decide the best tire to go with. Im looking for a good tire in all of these areas.

-Quiet on Highway
-Good in wet/dry weather
-Doesn't wear down to quick
-Rides really well

My car will be used for some track use. (Drag) Highway use (not on a daily. weekend warrior or something close to it.)

I have a few tires in mind but Im still doing some research on them.

Nitto NT05
Nitto 555 Extreme Performance
Hankook Ventus HRII H405

Right now Im on General Exclaim UHPs.

Any input would be beneficial. If you experienced with them or have knowledge with them.

Thanks,
TK
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

No tires is good at everything, you need to think what is most important to your driving style. If your car makes under 350whp than having a good dry traction for drag wouldnt make a difference.
Nt05 will wear out in under 10,000 miles under normal daily conditions.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:54 AM

My setup was more autocross than drag, but I ran Toyo R888's, and got about 12,000 miles with 7 auto-x's on them. But my best tires were Dunlop Duraza Star-Spec's they weren’t as aggressive as the 888's but they were quieter, and lasted twice as long.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Look at the Hankook Ventus V12 and Sumitomo HTR Z III too.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I checked out the Sumitomos too. Good price.

I guess the importance for me is how long they last, handling in dry/wet weather and a quiet ride. I will go to the track but its not a every weekend thing. Maybe 4x's MAX next summer. If that
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to answer your question op: for a dd tire, stay away from the nitto nt05 they wear real fast, handle good but wear fast, the hankook hr2s are ok, there more of a dd tire however they dont handle good on the track. the nt555s are a good option.

well if u wanna daily driver tire with good wear and handling, but quiet look into these:
kumho ecsta spt ( ran those for 25k miles on my car no problems)
currently running bf goodrich gforce sport z there good no more better or worse then the kumho, another tire to look at is the general exclaim uhp good tread wear rating, but also good in wet/dry weather for a good dd tire, yokohama s drives are also nice, will last about as long as the kumho or general.

op u gotta ask yourself how much u wanna spend on tires, now personal recommendation when you buy the tires, is have them road force balanced, and have an alignment done at the same time....those 2 things should keep u in the clear from issues.
good luck
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Nitto NT05,Hankook Ventus HRII H405 and Nitto 555 are out.

-Ive added Nitto NT NeoGen ZR, Falken ZE-912 or keep the General Exclaim UHP.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
to answer your question op: for a dd tire, stay away from the nitto nt05 they wear real fast, handle good but wear fast, the hankook hr2s are ok, there more of a dd tire however they dont handle good on the track. the nt555s are a good option.

well if u wanna daily driver tire with good wear and handling, but quiet look into these:
kumho ecsta spt ( ran those for 25k miles on my car no problems)
currently running bf goodrich gforce sport z there good no more better or worse then the kumho, another tire to look at is the general exclaim uhp good tread wear rating, but also good in wet/dry weather for a good dd tire, yokohama s drives are also nice, will last about as long as the kumho or general.

op u gotta ask yourself how much u wanna spend on tires, now personal recommendation when you buy the tires, is have them road force balanced, and have an alignment done at the same time....those 2 things should keep u in the clear from issues.
good luck
Thanks man you gave some good info. Im running the Generals now. They are good and are back on the board to purchase again. Im buying my tires from discounttiredirect.com I just looked at the Kumhos. Seem like a great tire but including everything, price a little to much.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

I tried to convince myself and even look at 255/25/18s. Just cant happen right now...sigh. At least I decided on a brand. Going with the Nittos. Just comparing 2 styles right now
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
Nitto NT05,Hankook Ventus HRII H405 and Nitto 555 are out.

-Ive added Nitto NT NeoGen ZR, Falken ZE-912 or keep the General Exclaim UHP.
I've had the Falken 912's and honestly was not impressed, they seemed to not do anything well, dry, rain or snow they were less than expected in all areas. They also did not last very long, I think I got less than 20k miles out of them and considering I got almost 15k out of the stock Advans I think thats sayin something. Since I got rid of those I've had Sumitomo HTR+ which I must say have been much better than expected performance and ride wise and have lasted over 25k, plus they're cheap!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Im looking at Nitto NeoGen or Nitto Invo
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's going to be pretty hard getting a tire that will do all that and perform on a track. You're basically describing a performance all season tire, which would work fine, except when you toss in track time. Assuming size would be 255/35-18.

If you run an all season I'd look at the Yoko Envigor or Conti DWS as the best two options. Have had great luck with both thus far.

In a summer based tire the B-Stone 760 or Yoko S-Drive would work well. Both are very good dd tires that should get you really close to what you initially asked for.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well im recommending these tires cuz for the past 5 years ive worked in the automotive industry as a service advisor at independent shops, so i had to do my homework on a lot of the tires, so that way when customers had questions reguarding what kinda tires they want, i can kinda narrow it down for them to help. ^^ now neal those s drives are good, but i dunno ive ran a couple of bridgestones i personally didnt care for them much, they got the handling and ride but dont last, although the ones i ran were the potenza re050, now i hear the re760 is a better tire, now op with those nittos between the two you would be better of with the neo gen, the nitto invo, handles great is good for mostly all season but doesnt wear as quick youll get a little more mileage out of the neo gen then the invo.
good luck
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody likes Hankook RS3's? That's what I've been leaning toward for my next summer tire. $131 ea in 255/40/17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^RS3 have very nice reviews but i don't think you can put too much miles on it. thread wear 140 i think. the op is looking for something that will last a bit.

Quick Reply: Debating on TIRES!!!