Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Perplexed - Tire went flat question...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perplexed - Tire went flat question...

OK - I can't figure this out (unless someone let the air out of my tire -which I don't think happened). I have Cointinental all seasons that are about 5-6 years old (THANKS NEAL - bought them from Neal at Tire Rack). I use these tires during the late fall to early spring season. One day last week, I was driving home from the train station (about a 10 min drive) - I wenet over several pot holes (although they weren't horrible) - I began to hear a noise and the evo just didn't feel right. When I got home, I checked the tires - my front passenger tire was basically flat.

I filled the tire, left it over night in my garage. The next morning, the tire was fine, hadn't lost even one pound of air. For the last 4 days, I have checked the tire 3-4 times each day - I haven't lost any air. I don't get it - flat to no problem.

What happened - what's the explanantion?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:10 PM

Even though the potholes might not have been horrible. There could have been one that possibly let the seal loose or repostioned it. Then u hit another and it blew the seal. Therefore letting enough air out to let the tire be flat. After you had re filled the tire, the seal set back in to place and is good to go. It happens. Its pretty rare with low pro file tires but it is possible. Thats most likely what happened. I dont know tires like a pro but i did work at a junk yard braking down tires for days and days as we prepped them for crushing.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unseated the bead from the rim. Not completely, but enough to leak out the air. If it was a complete event, you would have gone instantly flat. You could have been a few psi low to start with (weather changes, etc). Double check the other tires for correct PSI. Watch that tire that went flat. If concerned, spray the tire with a slightly soapy water mix and look for bubbles around the rim or from a nail in the tread.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the responses. I've checked a few times each day since it happened - I haven't lost any air. Thanks again
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:09 PM

^ those guys stole my answer >;(