Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Opinions before purchase

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions before purchase

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec vs Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

I have pretty much narrowed my sights down to these two specific Summer tires. I have seen good reviews on both but want to know is it worth spending the extra $200.00 on the dunlop's compared to purchasing the Hankook's. Im mostly going to be only doing spirited street driving and it may see the drag strip once or twice, and possibly a road event once a year.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you track time I'd spend the extra on the Z1's. The $200 extra will make a big difference. The V12's have been really popular, and will handle any aggressive street driving. However, the Z1 has that little extra "umpf" when you need it.

Call me when ready!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my Z1's. ZERO complaints about this tire in the summer. Wet and dry are great.

in the winter I run the 3D's and they rock on the snow/cold
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Specs are hands down an awesome summer tire and track tire short of a full blown race tire.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I'm planning on some local auto-x events instead of drag/road racing. Since you said you're doing a road event this year, I would lean towards the Star Specs. If you're not road racing and just sticking to the street, then the V12's might make more sense as they should last longer and by most accounts, are quieter and work well(for summer tires) in the rain. This is assuming that your car is a daily driver though. Good luck with your purchase!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:16 PM

my friend has the z1's on his evo and its his dd and does auto x events and loves them. not bad on wet traction either.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two different types of tires altogether in my opinion.

I would compare Dunlop Star Specs vs Hankook RS-3s or Dunlop Direzzas (non Star Spec) vs the Hankook V12.

I have had loads of luck with the RS-3s on track.

Dan
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brsox10288
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec vs Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

I have pretty much narrowed my sights down to these two specific Summer tires. I have seen good reviews on both but want to know is it worth spending the extra $200.00 on the dunlop's compared to purchasing the Hankook's. Im mostly going to be only doing spirited street driving and it may see the drag strip once or twice, and possibly a road event once a year.
If you're not going to do HPDEs or auto-x the car with a somewhat serious intent, you'll never utilize Star Specs' capabilities, not even close, but you will add more weight to the car at the worst place possible, you'll restrict the success of a launch due to their stiff sidewalls, and they'll wear significantly faster than the V12s. I can guarantee that if you're not a competitive (cornering) pilot with a deathwish, you won't reach the Hankook's limits on the street. They're lighter, they wear longer, and they're killer in the rain. FWIW, I've auto-x'd the V12s. They didn't embarrass themselves. Good luck.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am more leaning towards the v12's because this car will see much more street action that anything else. It may see the strip a couple times and maybe an event. If there are any other options ppl recommend just list them. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Going from star specs to Toyo R1R's was great, now I will be trying rs-3's.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
If you're not going to do HPDEs or auto-x the car with a somewhat serious intent, you'll never utilize Star Specs' capabilities, not even close, but you will add more weight to the car at the worst place possible, you'll restrict the success of a launch due to their stiff sidewalls, and they'll wear significantly faster than the V12s. I can guarantee that if you're not a competitive (cornering) pilot with a deathwish, you won't reach the Hankook's limits on the street. They're lighter, they wear longer, and they're killer in the rain. FWIW, I've auto-x'd the V12s. They didn't embarrass themselves. Good luck.
agreed. many people run tires that are overkill on the streets when they never see any track time. granted, its nice to have the extra grip there as a safety net on the streets, but if you don't track your car, i'd suggest getting something that is a little less hardcore and lasts significantly longer. the Evo V12 is just that, and cheaper to boot too

all the high performance tires available nowadays far exceed 95% of the capabilities of the drivers anyway, so one really shouldn't be pushing the limits on the streets