Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec versus Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec versus Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Thoughts on which is a better choice for a dedicated every day summer tire? What if price were no object ?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went from the PS2 to the StarSpec. There is a huge difference between the two. First let me say, everyone on this forum is gonna tell you to go with the Dunlop, most of these people have never ran the Michelins, so they really dont know.

My thoughts, Michelin is a far better DD tire that still offer high levels of grip in both the wet and the dry. If I didn't autox and track my car I would have bought another set. By far the best overall tire I've ever owned. If you want all out performance go with the Dunlop. It offers way more grip in the dry and turn in is def faster due to a stiffer side wall. It really comes down to how you use the car...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:04 AM

The Dunlops are a great tire that we've used on the One Lap VR4 for the last two years (before we were sponsored by them) but, those two tires are not in the same class. The Pilot Sports have long been considered R-comps wrapped in street trim. Price wise they are not in the same class either so if you are factoring budget into the equation the Dunlops win hands down. If money is no issue then the Pilot Sports will offer the most dry grip you can get in a street tire.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenGSX
The Dunlops are a great tire that we've used on the One Lap VR4 for the last two years (before we were sponsored by them) but, those two tires are not in the same class. The Pilot Sports have long been considered R-comps wrapped in street trim. Price wise they are not in the same class either so if you are factoring budget into the equation the Dunlops win hands down. If money is no issue then the Pilot Sports will offer the most dry grip you can get in a street tire.
Your thinking of Pilot Sport Cups, not the PS2. Way different...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:52 AM

starspec z1's are AMAZING!!! I have run them on everycar i track.....they give u warning when they are going to let go....
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried the PS2s, imo the only thing I liked better about them vs the star specs was that the sidewalls flexed a bit more making them easier to mount on the rim. Michelin makes great tires, I just dont personally care for them.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If price were no object I would suggest you consider PS2s or Neova AD07s. Taking a big step down in class, The Star Specs are great tires but in a different league.

Each option has very good if not excellent dry traction and enough water handilng capability to keep you from hydroplaning off the Saw Mill, Taconic, Hutch, or whichever parkway you drive that happens to reside next tone of the wonderful Westchester rivers prone to flooding.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

The Z1 is in a perf class one higher than the PS2 which makes it a better dry tire and will response better over the Michelin. Guess it depends on how hard you drive the car daily. Spirited driving and pushing her a little every once in a while will satisfy the PS2 fine. If you're super aggressive consistently, maybe see some auto-x or track time then I would step up to the Z1's.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:15 PM

PS2s for a street car, Star Specs for a car that is ever tracked.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

you guys act like star specs are horrible to daily drive on. they are fine unless you are a 50 year old woman.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you guys act like star specs are horrible to daily drive on. they are fine unless you are a 50 year old woman.
What if you are Lynn St. James ???
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

I ran the PS2's for almost 2 years, I never liked them - they were too squishy. If I were still buying expensive summer street tires, the Star Specs would be at the top of my list.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Advan A048's or Pilot sport cups, you will have to change them twice a year. lol, Not really street tires per-say. You did say money was no object, that's what I would run if I had unlimited cash. Neova's are great tires too, more of a "street tire", at least compared to the other two. I DD mine with Z1's BTW, love them, but I bought them as a track tire/DD tire.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec versus Michelin Pilot Sport PS2