Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HELP! I have a few wheel, tire, and spring questions.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! I have a few wheel, tire, and spring questions.

I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find answers to on the board.

1. If I just get lowering springs will I risk damageing the stock shocks?
2. If springs are ok with stock shocks what ones do you recommend? I am looking for somthing stiffer then stock but without compromising to much comfort.
3. With the lowering springs you recommend what is the biggest wheel and tire size I can run without rubbing on hard cornering?
4. What is the EVO wheel bolt pattern?

I like these wheels and was wondering if they come in the right offset and bolt pattern? anyone know where I can buy them if they do?

O.Z. Racing Supertourismo in white

Thanks

Last edited by Sugar T; Dec 14, 2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:42 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. You won't damage the stock shocks per se, if you get lowering springs. Their life will be compromised though. If you're looking for a big improvement in handling, get coilovers.

2. There are 3 spring brands I recommend: Tein, Espelir and kg/mm.

3. Lowering your car will not affect what size wheel you can run.

4. Stock Evo wheel bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

5. Those OZ Superturismos are discontinued. Doubt you'll find a set to fit the Evo nowadays.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by BPAuto
1. You won't damage the stock shocks per se, if you get lowering springs. Their life will be compromised though. If you're looking for a big improvement in handling, get coilovers.

2. There are 3 spring brands I recommend: Tein, Espelir and kg/mm.

3. Lowering your car will not affect what size wheel you can run.

4. Stock Evo wheel bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

5. Those OZ Superturismos are discontinued. Doubt you'll find a set to fit the Evo nowadays.
1.How much if the life compromised? I plan on getting coilovers eventually but I just want to get rid of the gap in the mean time because I want to do engine mods first.

2.What spring would you pick out of Tein, Espelir, and kg/mm for a stiff yet daily drivable setup? Also how much does each of those lower the car in the front and rear? Not to mention how much does each cost?

3.So what is the biggest size wheel and biggest size tire I can run without problems? Also what is the minimum offset?

4.Thanks! Is that a very common pattern?

5.DAMN! That sucks I will have to look for other wheels.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:53 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sugar T

1.How much if the life compromised? I plan on getting coilovers eventually but I just want to get rid of the gap in the mean time because I want to do engine mods first.

2.What spring would you pick out of Tein, Espelir, and kg/mm for a stiff yet daily drivable setup? Also how much does each of those lower the car in the front and rear? Not to mention how much does each cost?

3.So what is the biggest size wheel and biggest size tire I can run without problems? Also what is the minimum offset?

4.Thanks! Is that a very common pattern?

5.DAMN! That sucks I will have to look for other wheels.

Thanks for the help!
1. If the springs are just a stopgap measure, stick with the stock suspension. It's excellent. Then when you're ready, step up to a good set of coilovers like Cusco or JIC.

2. Do a search under Tein and Espelir to find out more info about them. If you're interested in the kg/mm, PM me and I'll provide you info. If I had to get springs, the kg/mms are the ones I would choose.

3. Widest width: 9.5 inches. I think with that you can run a 245/40/18. If you're going to purchase wheels, let me know and I'll provide more info.

4. Most Japanese sports cars, like RX7, Supra, Z, S2000 use 5x114.3 bolt pattern.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Dec 14, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

BPAuto I have a very important question about wheel spacers. I was very interested in purchasing SSR Competition Wheels 18 x 8.5 I believe is the size and they need 5mm wheel spacers to clear the brake calipers. What is your opinion on this set up?? Pros and or Cons of having 5mm wheel spacers on the Evo. I was told 5mm spacers don't hurt that much because the lug bolts on the Evo are really long and there is enough bite for the lugs. Please give me your honest opinion on this situation.