Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help with offsets... squared vs staggered

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with offsets... squared vs staggered

Looking at ordering up some wheels. I have the option of getting anything I want in terms of offset and here are the two I am deciding on

17x9.5 is the size I am getting so the only differences would be offset

setup 1
+38 all the way around. I would use a 15mm spacer up front to effectively have a +23 front +38 rear. This would allow me to rotate and would give me a wider track up front. This, according to the wheel company, would be beneficial as it would reduce front push. I do need the spacer to clear front suspension (KW coils)

setup 2
+25 all the way around. a squared setup. No spacers used and I would still be able to rotate.... but I don't get the benefit of the staggered offset as referred to above.

I am kind of torn between the two. I could have make me a +25 front and +38 rear and no use any spacers, but I would loose the ability to rotate.

any thoughts?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
the +38 should be a better fit in the rear than a +25. You'd be stuck to skinny tires and pretty substantial rear fender rolling with the +25's.

The 15mm spacer up front should limit the body work needed as a +38 with a 25mm spacer would likely mean fender rolling (which isn't easy with the aluminum fenders). For max performance though i'd go with the 25mm spacer.

i would not do the staggered offset wheels. way too much of a pain in the ***.

Last edited by griceiv; Mar 14, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
the +38 should be a better fit in the rear than a +25. You'd be stuck to skinny tires and pretty substantial rear fender rolling with the +25's.

The 15mm spacer up front should limit the body work needed as a +38 with a 25mm spacer would likely mean fender rolling (which isn't easy with the aluminum fenders). For max performance though i'd go with the 25mm spacer.

i would not do the staggered offset wheels. way too much of a pain in the ***.
I know the 25's will fit all around. I have +38's with 15 mm spacers on right now. I plan to run a 255/40/17 tire, so nothing extreme
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
I didn't say the +25's wouldn't fit, i said the +38's were a better fit in the rear. Maybe you're going for the VIP look and disagree with me, that's fine. Personally I choose the performance of the larger stagger.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
I didn't say the +25's wouldn't fit, i said the +38's were a better fit in the rear. Maybe you're going for the VIP look and disagree with me, that's fine. Personally I choose the performance of the larger stagger.
spoke with CCW again.... if they fit, wouldn't it be beneficial to run a wider track?

for the record, I have rolled fenders already. Thinking 17x9.5 +29 all around. this will fit all around without spacers and would still allow me to run a 5mm spacer up front if I wanted to.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're ordering custom offsets via CCW or some place like that, why not get something that fits correctly?

I'm not a huge - widen the front track - guy. But a lotta people like the 'idea' at least. Probably the same amount of people that say not to run a spacer. So take all that into consideration.

I don't know the spoke design, but you should be able to get something that works in the front AND rear that fits under the fenders, clears the calipers and doesn't need a spacer. I've talked with CCW before about a setup and they say they know all the measurements (although never share).

I worked with Forgeline to get a setup that fits w/o spacers and all have the same offsets and don't need fenders rolled. If you're interested in an 18x9.5" setup, PM me.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
If you're ordering custom offsets via CCW or some place like that, why not get something that fits correctly?

I'm not a huge - widen the front track - guy. But a lotta people like the 'idea' at least. Probably the same amount of people that say not to run a spacer. So take all that into consideration.

I don't know the spoke design, but you should be able to get something that works in the front AND rear that fits under the fenders, clears the calipers and doesn't need a spacer. I've talked with CCW before about a setup and they say they know all the measurements (although never share).

I worked with Forgeline to get a setup that fits w/o spacers and all have the same offsets and don't need fenders rolled. If you're interested in an 18x9.5" setup, PM me.
Yes, I can get a setup that fits all around without spacers....

for example... 17x9.5 +38 rears 17x9.5 +25 fronts.... BUT I cannot rotate

so I have the option of 17x9.5 +29 or +25 all around... this fits all around and requires a fender roll in the rear... or I get 17x9.5 +38 and run a spacer in the front for caliper AND suspension clearance.... either set still allows me to rotate the wheels. My main question is, is it best to get a squared setup or am I better off getting a setup that has a wider track upfront?