Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Unstable handling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unstable handling

Last week-end i changed my winter tires for my summer set. But since i did it the car behave like if it had a false wheel but really faint. But enough to feel it. Now i know the wheels are ok since they were ok when i removed them last fall.

But since the set was put on a homemade wooden rack, could the weight of the wheel misshaped the tire during winter?

Also i noticed a sporadic, really faint sound when driving at slow speed that make me think of a wheel bearing.(didn't notice before since winter tires are studded and noisy as hell). Can a bad wheel bearing cause a unstable behavior like a false wheel?

I do believe that the wheel are well balance since there is no shaking.Can it be a bad alignement?(Personnally i don't think,but i'm no mecanic just DIY willing to learn a lot)
Any advice is welcome! thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Its possible but unlikely storage did something. I'd suggest jacking each wheel and checking for any abnormal movement. Also, double check for loose lug nuts.

Beyond that, I see you are in Canada. Summer tires are exactly that. And, until it warms up some, they may act strange.

Last edited by barneyb; Mar 23, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:52 AM
ddb
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll check that out. Forgot to mention that i'm on yokohama avid envigor tires (4 seasons tire) and on bilstein with eibach springs.