Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus v12 evo Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
I auto-x/track my car..... grip matters. I dont have 4 sets of tires. I have 2 (Blizzak for winter, z1 for summer)
You'e citing a lack of ultimate grip in a tire that was never designed for ultimate grip.

Also, your quoted comment above pretty much sums up why you think the v12 rocks. Sorry to be blunt.
I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth, whatever they may mean. Sure, sidewall stiffness, alone, is ndicatve of goodness, compound (and all other factors) aside. Model-T tires have stiff sidewalls, too.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 29, 2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review. I ran these tires on my Evo for about 20K miles, both DD and track. Really good "bang for the buck" tire.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Excited to start pushing my V12's, it is finally starting to warm up enough and rain enough to wash the salt/sand off the cloverleafs up here in MN to start finding the limits of these things before any auto-x events. I had the Sumitomo HTRZ III last year, and the BFG G Force KDW2 the year before that. Those should make for a decent comparison.

I also was less impressed with the V12 as opposed to the B-Stone z1 star spec.

I didnt find the cost difference to be enough to outweigh getting the z1's and their superior grip and side wall stiffness.

Compared to the Falken 615 though, they should be better (assuming you arent referring to the 615K)
Please stop comparing apples and Oranges, it's what throws off every good discussion of tires. If you want to compare something, compare it to something in the same class of tire. Maybe I should compare a C6 Vette to an UGR Gallardo huh?

Better comparisons for the V12 would be Sumitomo HTR Z III, Eagle F1, Pilot Sport PS2, etc

Originally Posted by paintballer419
The Z1 is, in my opinion, is more akin to tires such as the ad08, re-11, and kumho xs. I dont think the v12's were ever designed to compete with those types of tires, other wise there would not be a market for the rs2/3.

I really don't want to get into the sidewall stiffness debate, but a stiff sidewall does not always mean better grip/handling. Would have to do more with the turn in response of the tire.
This.

Last edited by goodhart; Apr 5, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the review. This and other reviews make me want to get these tires as my next set of summers. I'm inadvertently becoming a hankook fanboy. Already have the rs3s for track and icebears for winter.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
As for sidewall stiffness, I've yet to understand how it, alone, is indicative of anything, really, other than sidewall stiffness.
Originally Posted by FJF
I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth, whatever they may mean. Sure, sidewall stiffness, alone, is ndicatve of goodness, compound (and all other factors) aside. Model-T tires have stiff sidewalls, too.
I didnt put any words in your mouth.... You said it.

And as you dont understand how sidewall stiffness is indicative of anything (again, these are YOUR words), i'll provide some information so that you may understand why its important, AND, drop the defensive posturing.

http://adamstechshed.com/2010/11/18/...ective-camber/

This one is less informative, but as its from a tire manufacturer, it might carry more weight with you.

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/widthRatio.html

Also, as the Z1 star spec and V12 dont have drastically different lifespans (assuming identical driving) they arent as much apples/oranges as you guys make them out to be.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I didnt put any words in your mouth.... You said it.
I really wish you'd quote me within the context of the comment. Allow me to illustrate:

And as you dont understand how sidewall stiffness is indicative of anything (again, these are YOUR words), i'll provide some information so that you may understand why its important, AND, drop the defensive posturing.

http://adamstechshed.com/2010/11/18/...ective-camber/

This one is less informative, but as its from a tire manufacturer, it might carry more weight with you.

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/widthRatio.html

Also, as the Z1 star spec and V12 dont have drastically different lifespans (assuming identical driving) they arent as much apples/oranges as you guys make them out to be.
Here's what I said:

Originally Posted by FJF
The question is, superior grip, where? In a competitive setting, sure. On the street, c'mon! The choice comes down to a quiet, longer lasting tire with superior wet traction and better overall response to environmental extremes, not to mention a significant reduction in rotational mass vs the promise of higher performance. As for sidewall stiffness, I've yet to understand how it, alone, is indicative of anything, really, other than sidewall stiffness.
Again, sidewall stiffness alone. Notice how you're the only one who wants to argue with me. This is why we don't run Model-T tires, because sidewall stiffness alone is solely indicative of sidewall stiffness. Thank you for posting back a week later to teach me about aspect ratios. I learned a lot.

Last edited by FJF; Apr 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
60.00 rebate at tire rack if you buy a set of 4. makes a great deal even better.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Thank you for posting back a week later to teach me about aspect ratios. I learned a lot.
I'm glad to make your day. Unfortunate isnt it that work requirements dont allow instant gratification for your forum habits.

But hey, congrats on the killer post count, and your effective use of grammar and prose is fantastic!

Wasnt it sidewall stiffness, ALONE, that was a determining factor in the Z1 being so much better than the Falken 615K on track? Must not have been, as nobody was able to put either on a ford Model T. (the gold standard on EvoM for comparative analysys is now "Mod X vs. Ford Model T?)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I'm glad to make your day. Unfortunate isnt it that work requirements dont allow instant gratification for your forum habits.

But hey, congrats on the killer post count, and your effective use of grammar and prose is fantastic!
...hope you feel better.

Wasnt it sidewall stiffness, ALONE, that was a determining factor in the Z1 being so much better than the Falken 615K on track?
1. You mean to say that the 615K and the Z1 have identical compounds, etc, differing only in their sidewall stiffness? That's an interesting claim that I'm sure you can support, given your predisposition for accuracy. Just know that if you choose to post useless links, like above, solely meant to waste one's time, it'll mean the end of my participation. I don't think an expectation of intellectual honesty is asking a lot.

2. Seeing how I've never driven both tires in a controlled setting, and neither have you, I'm not really sure what you can expect for a reply.

Must not have been, as nobody was able to put either on a ford Model T. (the gold standard on EvoM for comparative analysys is now "Mod X vs. Ford Model T?)
Unfortunately, you chose to base your argument solely on the sidewalls. As Model-T tires, and the like, have some of the stiffest sidewalls in existence, why not run those? Perhaps, because, stiff sidewalls aren't the sole determining factor. That's the point.

Last edited by FJF; Apr 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

V12?I would say is just a good daily drive tire with a reasonable price range.performance? It's ok.side wall is a little in the soft side.got hydro plane one time on the freeway when I was having -2.5 camber on them.so conclusion,won't put too much good performance expectation on those tires.will buy them again for DD because of the price.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
1. You mean to say that the 615K and the Z1 have identical compounds, etc, differing only in their sidewall stiffness? That's an interesting claim that I'm sure you can support, given your predisposition for accuracy. Just know that if you choose to post useless links, like above, solely meant to waste one's time, it'll mean the end of my participation. I don't think an expectation of intellectual honesty is asking a lot.

2. Seeing how I've never driven both tires in a controlled setting, and neither have you, I'm not really sure what you can expect for a reply.

Unfortunately, you chose to base your argument solely on the sidewalls. As Model-T tires, and the like, have some of the stiffest sidewalls in existence, why not run those? Perhaps, because, stiff sidewalls aren't the sole determining factor. That's the point.
1) you mean you have a controlled comparison acrost brands for the V12, (aside from the Ford model T) to support this thread?

Please provide the molecular or construction comparison information that must be at your fingertips to have attemped that call-out.

Personal note: Yes, i've owned and driven through a set of the Falken 615, 615K and Z1 star specs (along with Nitto 555 and RE-01's if you really care). local friends have owned and driven through sets of the v12 and Z1 star spec. My observations and input regarding sidewall strength, compound and drivability stem from this. The Z1 would be a better DD tire in certain parts of the crountry (ie: Those that dont get much snow/ice). Providing superior turn-in, grip, lateral lode and heat handling characteristics at the expense of being a few db quieter and a little less wet-weather traction.

I live in Seattle where it seems to rain quite a bit and run Z1's in wet months. Switching to Blizzaks during the ski season.

Please note that you discredit your arguments (and requests for information) when you continue to cite comparisons against a Ford model T tire which A) uses a tube, rather than a belted radial, and B) Has a 21" natural varnished wooden rim. How you know (or care) so much about this tire is beyond me.... but i'm sure you will provide a detailed perspectus on its creation, characteristics and atributes because you are certainly detail oriented, hence calling for others to provide information that you have, as of yet, failed to produce.

(feel free to PM the perspectus on the Model T tires so we dont take this thread off topic)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

1) you mean you have a controlled comparison acrost brands for the V12, (aside from the Ford model T) to support this thread?
A reply to a question with a question. Intellectual honesty, remember?

Please provide the molecular or construction comparison information that must be at your fingertips to have attemped that call-out.

Personal note: Yes, i've owned and driven through a set of the Falken 615, 615K and Z1 star specs (along with Nitto 555 and RE-01's if you really care). local friends have owned and driven through sets of the v12 and Z1 star spec. My observations and input regarding sidewall strength, compound and drivability stem from this. The Z1 would be a better DD tire in certain parts of the crountry (ie: Those that dont get much snow/ice). Providing superior turn-in, grip, lateral lode and heat handling characteristics at the expense of being a few db quieter and a little less wet-weather traction.

I live in Seattle where it seems to rain quite a bit and run Z1's in wet months. Switching to Blizzaks during the ski season.

Please note that you discredit your arguments (and requests for information) when you continue to cite comparisons against a Ford model T tire which A) uses a tube, rather than a belted radial, and B) Has a 21" natural varnished wooden rim. How you know (or care) so much about this tire is beyond me.... but i'm sure you will provide a detailed perspectus on its creation, characteristics and atributes because you are certainly detail oriented, hence calling for others to provide information that you have, as of yet, failed to produce.

(feel free to PM the perspectus on the Model T tires so we dont take this thread off topic)
To make this short, you have friends with the V12s and you chose the Z1s. Great. End of story.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
60.00 rebate at tire rack if you buy a set of 4. makes a great deal even better.
Ordered a set of these today

265/35/18 Read a lot of reviews and the price to performance sounds good. Plus the Car and Driver review was very good.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

What size is everyone going with on these? 255/40/17? Looking to get a set of the V12 just had Azenis 255/40/17 but here they run a little different in size?

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus v12 evo Review