Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Blizzak WS-50's or Yokohama Ice Guard?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the rims are on their way from rdmwheels.com, will hopefully be here next week. I don't think I'm going to do the blizzak-ws50's, we just don't get that much snow here to warrant them. I might go with the Dunlop WinterSport M3's, I've heard good reviews on them and the M2's, and the M3's have a higher speed rating than the M2's. If anyone knows any good tire shops in the Westchester area, let me know...I've called Mavis, Firestone, uhm, some place in Elmsford, none of them have the WInterSports in stock, in either 215/50 or 235/45-17. I'll probably make a bunch of calls this weekend, trying to find a place that has 'em, "let my fingers do the walking" as it were.... I'd order tires online, but I'll get raped for $20/tire to get 'em mounted, odds are the savings online won't make it worth it to get them.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Have you considered the Yokohama AVS Winter? I've heard good things about them...people who've sworn by suchnsuch a tire their whole lives who've switched over to them.

I'm not sure...but I think they might've been developed with the Evo in mind, kinda like the Avans that come with the car. In any case, they're more of a performance tire like the LM22's by Blizzak or Pilot Sports by Mich.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:48 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mhgsx
That's just it, they really aren't better.
We're well into subjective evaluations, at this point.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice.

I've been driving in the snow for 30 years (the last 15 with a AWD Celica Turbo), and I've never had a tire handle snow like the Nokians, so I'm happy with my choice, too.

So why did you get the all seasons??
VR speed rating. Specifically, a 94V load/speed rating on a 225/45-17 tire.

And these are all Finland seasons: Winter, Arctic, and Sixth Circle of Hell. (Fifth? It's been a while since I've read Dante's Inferno.)

- DGS
Old Jan 1, 2004, 07:41 AM

I've got 275,000 on my VR4 and I've burned through every snow you can think of. Hakka's without studs BLOW.
NNOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, touches the WS-50.
When the Blizzaks save your hiney and keep you from wrecking your car, it will be money well spent. I have a set on each of the three all wheel drive cars we own and unless God markets a new snow tire himself, that's all I'll ever buy.