Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

fortune auto vs. bc vs. hsd

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo

Just going to post this here in response to that show of English above.

And HSD = BC = D2 = Ksport = Megan. All made in the same factory. Just different colors. And they all have zero comprehension of motion ratio / wheel rate. Which I have pointed out a hundred times. Rates are wrong for the Evo 7/8/9.

Evo X is NOT the same as the CT9A.
SmikeEvo, Not sure if where you are getting your info, but I am pretty certain HSD or HD systems doesnt make the brands you are referring to. Hey I will certainly apologize if I am wrong. But I am very sure that the Megan and BC Racing coilovers are made in Taiwan. I am not aware of the origin of the D2 or Ksport . But HSD coilovers are made in South Korea. As far as I know they always have been.

I have actually had the chance to interview the manufacturer on two occasions and while the HR coilover they have is great and performance amazing they have something new in the works which will certainly turn heads with adding further levels of adjustable and control. (more on that later)

Getting back to you were saying about HSD coilover. Your right the EVO X is not the EVO 7 8 9. Different platform entirely. And you must forgive me. As a Canadian we were never as lucky as you guys in the States to have the evo 8 9. Only 2 years ago was the EVO 8 and 9 Admissible due to a harmonizing of bumper laws. The sum of my experience with this coilovers are on the EVO X and now the Lancer + Ralliart (current gen) My knowledge of the EVO 7-8-9 kit is based on a dozen Q&A sessions from some pretty savvy owners who are very much impressed with the way their HSD coilover performs on the track as well as the street. Since the spring rates run a foul with you, I am not really sure how to respond. When we last spoke about this, you were interested in alot of technical data which I dont have. But I have heard stories from people who use the kit in some pretty serious ways and are blown away. Sure talk is talk. But when everyone who uses the kit gives it a nod of respect. That tells me there is surely something there. But it begs the question. Is HSD the real deal? Time will tell.

I am not saying HSD is the best coilover ever. But its reputation says its a worthy option to consider.

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the fortune autos
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

I have the fortune auto. Very reasonable, close to correctly dampened and springed for the CT9A. Good ride quality on the street and great customer service. I can't speak for the other brands but there are plenty of mixed reviews on here if you search. I chose FA because I couldn't find any negative reviews from people whom actually had them. Keep in mind I've only had them 3 months and have only driven them on the street ( likely will only ever drive them on the street). Hope this helps...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
i like my BC BR coilovers..
Do u have any more imput? Or is there any more feedback on the bc's by anyone else? Even other suggestions would help.. i still have about another month b4 i get something.. thanks again for the help guys!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I understand you are trying to vend the part. Build quality and specs look to be common between them all. In the end, I care about quality of parts, built to meet the needs of the car (specs per car). Car in question is the CT9A, I argue that the rates (and inserts) are not optimized for the car.

Great performance is subjective and needs to be tested and backed with results. Especially if it comes from the manufacture. Hey, we'll all say that if its our product.

Yep, still interested in their data. Rates are based on solid math and proven by the people in the Motor Sports forum. You're putting yourself in an uphill battle if you want to run 9k front and 6k rear. They could be like the KWs. Terrible rates out of the box. But good construction for rate/valving changes. Or they could be not.

Originally Posted by evo_soul
SmikeEvo, Not sure if where you are getting your info, but I am pretty certain HSD or HD systems doesnt make the brands you are referring to. Hey I will certainly apologize if I am wrong. But I am very sure that the Megan and BC Racing coilovers are made in Taiwan. I am not aware of the origin of the D2 or Ksport . But HSD coilovers are made in South Korea. As far as I know they always have been.

I have actually had the chance to interview the manufacturer on two occasions and while the HR coilover they have is great and performance amazing they have something new in the works which will certainly turn heads with adding further levels of adjustable and control. (more on that later)

Getting back to you were saying about HSD coilover. Your right the EVO X is not the EVO 7 8 9. Different platform entirely. And you must forgive me. As a Canadian we were never as lucky as you guys in the States to have the evo 8 9. Only 2 years ago was the EVO 8 and 9 Admissible due to a harmonizing of bumper laws. The sum of my experience with this coilovers are on the EVO X and now the Lancer + Ralliart (current gen) My knowledge of the EVO 7-8-9 kit is based on a dozen Q&A sessions from some pretty savvy owners who are very much impressed with the way their HSD coilover performs on the track as well as the street. Since the spring rates run a foul with you, I am not really sure how to respond. When we last spoke about this, you were interested in alot of technical data which I dont have. But I have heard stories from people who use the kit in some pretty serious ways and are blown away. Sure talk is talk. But when everyone who uses the kit gives it a nod of respect. That tells me there is surely something there. But it begs the question. Is HSD the real deal? Time will tell.

I am not saying HSD is the best coilover ever. But its reputation says its a worthy option to consider.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I understand you are trying to vend the part. Build quality and specs look to be common between them all. In the end, I care about quality of parts, built to meet the needs of the car (specs per car). Car in question is the CT9A, I argue that the rates (and inserts) are not optimized for the car.

Great performance is subjective and needs to be tested and backed with results. Especially if it comes from the manufacture. Hey, we'll all say that if its our product.

Yep, still interested in their data. Rates are based on solid math and proven by the people in the Motor Sports forum. You're putting yourself in an uphill battle if you want to run 9k front and 6k rear. They could be like the KWs. Terrible rates out of the box. But good construction for rate/valving changes. Or they could be not.
Smike if you ever come to Florida you can have at my car and test the Fortune Auto's.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

For the CT9A, I am not able to talk from personal experience on that platform. I have never driven a EVO 8 or 9, but I will be fortunate enough to experience it this summer on my trip down to Cali as I hit the track for a review. In terms of data. Well I am curious to so who knows might be able to get some actual testing done on that front as well.

For the record however, CT9A Evo VII to IX F9 R8. And there is a rare HA variant that offers F9 / R9.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
RCY

Stance!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Look into AMR, they are reasonably priced and all of there suspension setups are custom tailored to the car and what you want it to do.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

HSD purchases the parts from Taiwan and assembles the coilover in South Korea just like how Fortune Auto gets their coilover kits from Taiwan and assembles them in the US.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raph
HSD purchases the parts from Taiwan and assembles the coilover in South Korea just like how Fortune Auto gets their coilover kits from Taiwan and assembles them in the US.

For the CT9A, I am not able to talk from personal experience on that platform. I have never driven a EVO 8 or 9, but I will be fortunate enough to experience it this summer on my trip down to Cali as I hit the track for a review. In terms of data. Well I am curious to so who knows might be able to get some actual testing done on that front as well.

For the record however, CT9A Evo VII to IX F9 R8. And there is a rare HA variant that offers F9 / R9.
You know this is the CT9A section correct? For a review to be worth it. Drive a stock CT9A. One with known great coilovers. Then your HSD. Keep tires, brakes, track the same.

I threw the rates out as an absurd example. 9k front and 8k rear is still not better.

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Smike if you ever come to Florida you can have at my car and test the Fortune Auto's.
Deal!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

smike i think your fairly close to me, i plan on getting a set of fa coils this summer and would love to have you throw my car around and get your input on them
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raph
This is news to me. Do you know what components of this kit are made in Taiwan?

You know this is the CT9A section correct? For a review to be worth it. Drive a stock CT9A. One with known great coilovers. Then your HSD. Keep tires, brakes, track the same.

I threw the rates out as an absurd example. 9k front and 8k rear is still not better.
This sounds like a perfect test. I think I will reach out to my team in the states to see if we can do this. I think we can have one of my sponsors help put this together.

May I ask your opinion of what competing coilover would be good to face off in this test?

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 19, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:34 PM

I'm going to jump into this and give a little of my .02.

I am fully aware of HSD because they are in fact made in Korea along with ARK, and some even say buddyclub, and then there is BC, megan which is made in Taiwan, and then D2 and Ksport which is made in a different factory in Taiwan.

I will be completely blunt and say The build quality in Taiwan is much better than Korea. I wish I took pictures of the pistons to show people but its visible with even their machined brackets. You can safely assume that their is no vehicle specific R&D in any of these coilovers. All the spring rates are not thought out so valving and setup aside. The only thing I can show is the build quality. If your going for performance, none of these overseas options are bad as long as they are revalved for whatever you want to do, which there are a lot of raceshops out there that does. I have one that I take my coilovers to when I need them.

Anyways here are simple pictures I found on another forum, S2000.
Name:  7pics228.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  70.6 KB
Name:  MRCoiloverS2000.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.0 KB

The orange ones are Ksport, which is the same company as HSD (go on their website and you can see that they are identical). And as you can see the forks have **** poor weld on them while BC is cleanly machined. Now you should check out the bottom brackets for macpherson type struts.

I can tell you this, I have tested and tried many different overseas brands and most of them will dyno different on all four corners. If you think that these cheap coilover companies are going to pump these babies out with precision, you couldnt be further off. Also keep in mind that the reason why they are so inexpensive is because what these companies do is make maybe 5-6 different size shock bodies and then make custom brackets and then chooses propper length shocks (out of the 5-6 shocks they have) to make for every application.

Verdict imo- Fortune Auto (Get the Swift Option, it makes a huge difference)... The main reason being they can rebuild in house and at least they can give you dyno numbers for all four corners.

Last edited by WoODStOcK; Apr 19, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

This sounds like a perfect test. I think I will reach out to my team in the states to see if we can do this. I think we can have one of my sponsors help put this together.

May I ask your opinion of what competing coilover would be good to face off in this test?
GTWorx AST. GTWorx/RobiSpec KW3s.

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
I can tell you this, I have tested and tried many different overseas brands and most of them will dyno different on all four corners. If you think that these cheap coilover companies are going to pump these babies out with precision, you couldnt be further off. Also keep in mind that the reason why they are so inexpensive is because what these companies do is make maybe 5-6 different size shock bodies and then make custom brackets and then chooses propper length shocks (out of the 5-6 shocks they have) to make for every application.

Verdict imo- Fortune Auto (Get the Swift Option, it makes a huge difference)... The main reason being they can rebuild in house and at least they can give you dyno numbers for all four corners.
Bingo.

Quick Reply: fortune auto vs. bc vs. hsd