Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

suspension knocking/clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension knocking/clunking noise

Ive been experiencing everytime i turn right (load on the left front of the car) especially on intermediate speed (25-40mph) or on banked turns theres this knocking/clunking noise i hear. i can also feel it very slightly in the pedals. i inspected the axle and it looks fine. however both of the control arms (on the ball joints to the spindle) are torn. do i need new control arms or is it another problem?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:44 PM

if you jack your car up and attempt to wobble the wheels will they? don't go easy on it.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be the top hats on the struts out of alignment with the bottom portion of the strut causing the springs to catch and bind while your turning... I may not be explaining that correctly but here's a thread that explains it a lot better. Post #27 has a great pic that shows what I mean. This was the problem with mine after I did some drifting in about 8" of snow last winter... Good times but I wouldn't recommend doing it again.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...install-2.html
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by benwara
if you jack your car up and attempt to wobble the wheels will they? don't go easy on it.
yes i jacked up the front of the car and both sides wobble side to side but the steering wheel is turing too. even in full lock. im wondering if i need tie rod ends then or does the shaft have excessive play. even when the car was on the ground and i turned the steering wheel side to side hard i heard a little knocking noise

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Could be the top hats on the struts out of alignment with the bottom portion of the strut causing the springs to catch and bind while your turning... I may not be explaining that correctly but here's a thread that explains it a lot better. Post #27 has a great pic that shows what I mean. This was the problem with mine after I did some drifting in about 8" of snow last winter... Good times but I wouldn't recommend doing it again.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...install-2.html
while the car was jacked i checked the suspension and the holes are aligned
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:58 PM

is there any play before the steering wheel starts to turn? it might be helpful to have someone wobble the wheel while you are looking to see what has slop.

If you just need new boots you can buy perfect fit ones from the stealer. The parts counter will likely only have a universal one.

If you are planner on fixing this yourself and can't determine the problem maybe take it somewhere that will give you a free estimate.

if you aren't going to fix this yourself just go to a few different places and see what they say and decide based on that.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by benwara
is there any play before the steering wheel starts to turn? it might be helpful to have someone wobble the wheel while you are looking to see what has slop.

If you just need new boots you can buy perfect fit ones from the stealer. The parts counter will likely only have a universal one.

If you are planner on fixing this yourself and can't determine the problem maybe take it somewhere that will give you a free estimate.

if you aren't going to fix this yourself just go to a few different places and see what they say and decide based on that.
well as its raining profusely right now i will have to wait until tomorrow