Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

over-torqued tie rod end?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over-torqued tie rod end?

I installed the whiteline anti-roll kit a little while ago (couple weeks)

Since then I have noticed my steering is much heavier. I attributed it initially to bigger stickier tires and putting my coilovers back in after winter. Now I have come to realize that I overtorqued the whiteline tie rod ends....

Would this cause the heavy steering? I know they are more snug than 27 lb/ft as the specs say from mitsu.

b
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Also mention, alignment has been done, so that isnt an issue. PS pump does not make any noise, and fluid level is fine.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Wider tires will always reduce steering feel and ease. The torque on the jam nut have nothing to do with how easy the steering will be. Also a good idea to get an alignment. Even being a thread off will cause a major change in toe.

EDIT: Just saw you had alignment already done. I'm pretty sure it's just the tires.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I backed the nut off, retightened to approx 25 ft lbs. Feels way better. So strange.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:47 PM

like MitsuJDM said over tightening the nut will not affect it's movement. on a ball joint the part that actually does the moving is the ball in the cup at the bottom. Most ball joints are tapered so the part it goes through will not go down far enought to mess with the movement of the ball joint. The ball joint on the lower control arm of an evo is not tapered but has the little notch in it for the bolt to pass through so it won't go down past that.

all that is assuming you didn't drill/sand/go crazy with anything.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

im talking about the tie rod end. not the balljoint in the control arm with the notch. the one with the castle/jam nut on it at the back of the knucke. I he-man'd it on there, without thinking about tq spec. Didnt realize it would be such a low tq spec.

I just took it out after, and the steerig wheel is much lighter. Strange or maybe just in my head, but it has been annoying me for a couple weeks.

Last edited by brenner; Apr 13, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by brenner
im talking about the tie rod end. not the balljoint in the control arm with the notch. the one with the castle/jam nut on it at the back of the knucke. I he-man'd it on there, without thinking about tq spec. Didnt realize it would be such a low tq spec.

I just took it out after, and the steerig wheel is much lighter. Strange or maybe just in my head, but it has been annoying me for a couple weeks.

The little thing the sticks out of the tie rod end that connects to the knuckle is a ball joint.

Just trying to explain how they work. I didn’t mean to go over your head.

and a jam nut is typically a secondary nut used to lock a primary nut in place. It's not intended to take any load.

Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

I know it is also a ball-joint, sounded like you were referring to the ball joint in the control arm. Regardless, just miscommunication.

Originally Posted by benwara
The little thing the sticks out of the tie rod end that connects to the knuckle is a ball joint.

Just trying to explain how they work. I didn’t mean to go over your head.

and a jam nut is typically a secondary nut used to lock a primary nut in place. It's not intended to take any load.