Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CT9A Chassis Weakpoints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Haha, some of you don't know me very well! I will NEVER put a cage in the Bad Bish if I am going to EVER drive it on the street! The car has gone 9.04 at 159.64 with NO cage. Cages are not for street cars. I think my points have been missed.

I have some great ideas. I am going to look into a quick release harness bar and these fender braces. I love the idea of the harness bar being easily removable! We WILL build this! I will also build fender braces that do not require drilling.

Hope to start both projects next week!

Thanks for the ideas.
now im intrested!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking at the pictures in this thread Ive got some killer ideas, I hope they play out! Should make for a better fitting, no drilling required kit!

I've always wanted to run a harness bar in my car but never wanted it stuck there for my kids to smash their faces into. Making it removable is going to be killer!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A proper cage would include running a triangulated point into the back of the strut tower and I think that would be much more effective than the fender brace.

My personal opinion from doing a few years of racing, road racing and drag racing. There are a lot of things said to do a lot of things. At the end of the day most of those things show no improvement and you end up with less money in your pocket and a heavier car. IF Robi SWEARS by it then I'd say go for it. I'm guessing though that the fender brace or welding all over your cars chassis will be not noticeable to 99% of drivers. As for the spot welding I look at each one of those spots as a potential place for rust. For the brace I look at it as another extra few pounds to carry. I'm a weird guy....
Thank YOU this is exactly what I was saying on page one also.

For the people in this whole thread making it a thread, don't get me wrong it's cool to see all this info but for the majority of these parts and an EVEN larger majority of the people, you're just buying parts that wont do anything for you. I have to chuckle at some of the stock suspension guys attempting to say they notice a difference after adding parts.

I would put money on the fact that you could take two EVO's with 90% of these parts, then drive one without it and not be able to tell me which car was which. Well ok, maybe.. you might notice the 50 extra lbs of weight when you toss the car into a corner, or can't stop as quickly. The plan in simple truth is most people will make themselves think that $xxx.xx part made a difference, to justify their decision. Spend the money on things that will actually help you, like tires, and brakes, alignment and if you're serious, coilovers and corner weighting and the absolute most important thing.. Track time.

People have been beating these cars to death for years and years and years now. Trust me if there was a huge or even worth while weak point, there would be threads and threads about it. You wouldn't be here scrounging for " well that looks like it would help" type info.

My last thought is this.. if there is anyone out there who knows the road racing ins and outs of this car, it's AMS. Ask them for some info, they raced the living snot out of the 2004 AMS Time Attack EVO for years.

Last edited by Nasty Evolution; Apr 29, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerEvo8RS
On a side note - I wish they made a harness bar with quick disconnects for the bar section, so passengers don't lose their teeth or have busted noses. I think it would work great if you could remove the section easily.

I have some great ideas. I am going to look into a quick release harness bar and these fender braces. I love the idea of the harness bar being easily removable! We WILL build this! I will also build fender braces that do not require drilling. Hope to start both projects next week! Thanks for the ideas.
So, do I get to commissions or some sort of royalties for sparking the inner loins of Dave Buschur to build this piece?

Worst case, I should get the 1st production version at a discounted price...

David - Honestly, the design I am thinking of is no different the swing out door bar setup as most cages have. All it would require is 2 pins pulled and the bar removed. If you weld in some loops, so the pins can just hang when the bar is removed, even better. I won't lose the pins under the seat somewhere...lol.

Similar to this picture below but on both ends, sir!

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
what brand fender bracing is that?
Forget the brace...Where do you get that clear fender??
Old May 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I'm with David as others have said, cage or stay home.

However - on the topic of stiffening the chassis, the single best improvement I felt when it was still a street car, was installing a harness bar. This bridged the biggest gap in the Evo which is the space between the B pillars. Made a very noticeable difference going around corners slightly faster then normal. I would not recomm anyone use a harness bar on a street or race car though for reasons you can find....everywhere. But that space, is by far the weakest point.
I completely agree with this...I noticed a huge difference in my car during my first autox event after installing the harness bar...But like you said I also wouldn't recommend leaving it in the car during daily driving unless no one rides in your back seat...

Haha, some of you don't know me very well! I will NEVER put a cage in the Bad Bish if I am going to EVER drive it on the street! The car has gone 9.04 at 159.64 with NO cage. Cages are not for street cars. I think my points have been missed.

I have some great ideas. I am going to look into a quick release harness bar and these fender braces. I love the idea of the harness bar being easily removable! We WILL build this! I will also build fender braces that do not require drilling.

Hope to start both projects next week!

Thanks for the ideas.
I already have fender braces and a harness bar BUT I am VERY interested with what you could out with Mr. Buschur...looking forward to updates...
Old May 1, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo

I already have fender braces and a harness bar BUT I am VERY interested with what you could out with Mr. Buschur...looking forward to updates...
Curious - what braces do you have, sir?
Old May 2, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
Curious - what braces do you have, sir?
Nagisa Fender Braces
Ebay Harness Bar with no adjustable pieces...here is the link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...item19c4ac516c
DC Sports Ti Front & Rear Strut Tower Bars
Beatrush Front Member Support Braces
RMR Front K Brace
Cusco Truck Brace
Progress 27mm Rear Sway Bar
Perrin Rear Endlinks
BC Coilovers (8k Front & 10k Rear)

Thats pretty much my full suspension setup...
Old May 2, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I just met with the chassis shop for these two parts. They will be in process very soon.

We are going to build a removable quick release harness bar. This way it can be taken in and out so you can have passengers in the back seat, safely.

The fender bracing I have an idea for too, it will require no holes to be drilled and should have more strength than what I am seeing pictured here. I have to find a loaner car to send over to the chassis shop for that, I've got too much going on with my RS to have it down for a week or two. Anyone in the area want to volunteer their EVO for 2 weeks for some free parts?
Old May 2, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just met with the chassis shop for these two parts. They will be in process very soon.

We are going to build a removable quick release harness bar. This way it can be taken in and out so you can have passengers in the back seat, safely.

The fender bracing I have an idea for too, it will require no holes to be drilled and should have more strength than what I am seeing pictured here. I have to find a loaner car to send over to the chassis shop for that, I've got too much going on with my RS to have it down for a week or two. Anyone in the area want to volunteer their EVO for 2 weeks for some free parts?
Sweet! I will probably get one of these then. I really like the idea of being able to easily remove the bar

-Bink
Old May 2, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts

ugh if i lived in ohio i would my car's just been sitting in a shop for the last two months
Old May 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still looking for a car for the fender braces, if someone wants to volunteer I'll give you a set for free.

The harness bar, we just installed it in the Bish, this is the prototype bar. It's gonna be *****in'. I will have the first production bar in my car for the Winged Warrior event coming up the 22nd of May. It came out very-very nice. Quick removal for your rear passengers all via pull pins. There will be an option for bolt in harnesses to, without them taking the bar out quickly will be not-so-quick. I'd like to see this bar come out in less than one minute, including the seat belts, if it's any longer than that I won't consider it "removable".
Old May 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still looking for a car for the fender braces, if someone wants to volunteer I'll give you a set for free.

The harness bar, we just installed it in the Bish, this is the prototype bar. It's gonna be *****in'. I will have the first production bar in my car for the Winged Warrior event coming up the 22nd of May. It came out very-very nice. Quick removal for your rear passengers all via pull pins. There will be an option for bolt in harnesses to, without them taking the bar out quickly will be not-so-quick. I'd like to see this bar come out in less than one minute, including the seat belts, if it's any longer than that I won't consider it "removable".
Hey Dave,

Im not really local to you as I am in NY. But i have the Nagasi Fender Braces and AMS harness bar on my car now that I autocross with. If you want me to test out the products id be willing to. Let me know if i can help. My email is Joe@EvoJoeRacing.com
Old May 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I appreciate the offer, I don't need someone to test them, I can do that. I need a car for a week to build fender braces on.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Got you. Again, wish i was closer lol you could have had the car for a few weeks if needed. Let me know if i can be of any help if you need it.

Thanks
EvoJoe

Quick Reply: CT9A Chassis Weakpoints