Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CT9A Chassis Weakpoints

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

I just got off the phone ordering harnesses for this bar we are building. I think we will end up putting together a hell of a nice kit, I can't wait to start the finished thread on it.
Old May 9, 2011 | 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I just got off the phone ordering harnesses for this bar we are building. I think we will end up putting together a hell of a nice kit, I can't wait to start the finished thread on it.
Looking forward to it

-Bink
Old May 9, 2011 | 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

how about a discount for starting the thread? lol. def up for a fender brace that doesnt require drilling
Old May 10, 2011 | 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.tuningculture.com/partsbi...rear-sub-frame

What about this guy? 18kg from the rear???
Old May 10, 2011 | 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still looking for a car for the fender braces, if someone wants to volunteer I'll give you a set for free.

The harness bar, we just installed it in the Bish, this is the prototype bar. It's gonna be *****in'. I will have the first production bar in my car for the Winged Warrior event coming up the 22nd of May. It came out very-very nice. Quick removal for your rear passengers all via pull pins. There will be an option for bolt in harnesses to, without them taking the bar out quickly will be not-so-quick. I'd like to see this bar come out in less than one minute, including the seat belts, if it's any longer than that I won't consider it "removable".

Ahhhhh....I want to see pictures, damn it! Your killin me DB!
Old May 10, 2011 | 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
http://www.tuningculture.com/partsbi...rear-sub-frame

What about this guy? 18kg from the rear???
Isn't there already a thread about this and decided it was way over priced and didn't have all the mounting points, etc....
Old May 10, 2011 | 12:24 PM
Veteran: Army

ya thats about 2290$... and still no message from that guy so im gonna have to bow out. i leave arizona soon and wont be able to give up the car anymore.
Old May 10, 2011 | 12:44 PM

Very interesting!
Old May 10, 2011 | 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Isn't there already a thread about this and decided it was way over priced and didn't have all the mounting points, etc....

...And reducing weight from the rear isnt as critical. On a stock to mild weight reduced setup evo I would rather keep the heavier oem subframe for better bias imo. Thats one reason I relocated my battery to the trunk--remove the weight from the front and transfer it to the rear.
Old May 11, 2011 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
...And reducing weight from the rear isnt as critical. On a stock to mild weight reduced setup evo I would rather keep the heavier oem subframe for better bias imo. Thats one reason I relocated my battery to the trunk--remove the weight from the front and transfer it to the rear.
Exactly...now if someone made a light weight front subframe that actually worked then that would be a different story...I am assuming you mounted your battery in the middle or right side?
Old May 11, 2011 | 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Great thread for sure....
Old May 12, 2011 | 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

man am excited , am building my car in the garage now, am bouts to buy a crap load of bushur parts shorty!
Old May 12, 2011 | 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Exactly...now if someone made a light weight front subframe that actually worked then that would be a different story...I am assuming you mounted your battery in the middle or right side?
its in the middle, on the trunk floor in between the two strut towers.
Old May 12, 2011 | 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I appreciate the offer, I don't need someone to test them, I can do that. I need a car for a week to build fender braces on.
im close enough to where i can drop my car off, shoot me an email at ihockey123@aol.com if you still need to borrow a car
Old May 13, 2011 | 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
So, does the autopower rollbar work as chassis stiffening? Its not a full fledged cage.

Balrok - Your comment about harness bar made me wonder:

Does the beatrush floor bar help at all? Its not at the b-pillars and much lower, but I wonder what the thought process behind the design of this bar is?

On a side note - I wish they made a harness bar with quick disconnects for the bar section, so passengers don't lose their teeth or have busted noses. I think it would work great if you could remove the section easily.
The beatrush one would do some of the work, I love their lightweight designs. You gotta think of it from a geometry standpoint. If you put a piece of wood up on a table, and hold it at the bottom, it'll still move, but not as much. If you put your hand higher up say 2/3rd's, it won't move hardly at all.

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
The search button must not like me. I don't seem to understand the contradiction. The single best improvement is not the one you would recommend ? can you give me another key word because harness bar brings up to many links.

Thanks
Well like others said afterwards, the design of the USDM safety in cars is meant to operate in a very certain way. In this case the seat collapses in the event of a rollover/g forces pressing against it. If you got a bar behind it, your head is not going anywhere but into your roof. Bye Bye.

Originally Posted by GG06MR
What about getting the harness bar, and not actually using it for anything other than just stiffening up the chassis...i.e. don't even strap a harness to it?!
Exactly what David's after. I'm sure he'll provision something for pass and driver belts but you don't "have" to put belts on it. Since it's not made to be a safety device in the event of a rollover, having it bolted in sections is a brilliant idea.

Dave - I'm sure it goes without saying but make sure to use all 4 seatbelt points and good hardware. A camera provision would be cool too i'm sure

Quick Reply: CT9A Chassis Weakpoints