Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My Evo handles like crap

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8207564-post3.html

5mm drop difference f/r. If you can see that from 5 feet away...you should be a sniper
Old May 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
If stock are: 180lbs front / 225lbs rear. Then his are ~ 216 lb/in / 225 lb/in. Those are the numbers Bilstein will need. I'd call Robi to be 100% on max rates.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8207564-post3.html

5mm drop difference f/r. If you can see that from 5 feet away...you should be a sniper
I agree, no noticable rake. I like it!!! but not so sure on the ride height. I think it would be fine with the factory BBS wheels, but I worry that when I throw those RGII's on there with the Star Specs that the gap is going to look huge for that setup.

Edit: ALSO, I see no way to determine what shocks those pics are on. Not a single one of those cars has MR wheels or a VG!!! They all look like GSR's to me.

So according to the link, the GTWorx springs are:
290 lbs/in Front
330 lbs/in Rear

This is both stiffer than the Robispec advertised (which you did the math on above), as well as more "correct" rates for the Evo rear suspension geometry. Damn that is awfully tempting!!!

Smike, looking at those rates, is it safe to say that GTWorx is the second-best AutoX/DD setup behind the Swift Spec R and ahead of the Swift Mach?

Andrew: Do you know if it is recommended to rebuild the Bilsteins to these rates or are they designed with the factory rate in mind for best performance?

Last edited by FERNO; May 6, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

If you're that worried about the gap, run a slightly taller tire.

l8r)
Old May 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you're that worried about the gap, run a slightly taller tire.

l8r)
haha! too late dude! tires already been bought, yo!

But seriously... I'm trying to have my cake and eat it to. I want performance, looks, ride height, and travel. I'll admit it is a delicate balance to say the least.

Edit: Oh hey, your avatar is trippin me out. What's the pic from and do you have it in full size?

Last edited by FERNO; May 6, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: avatar TRIPPIN!
Old May 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i have gtworx with bilstein hds.. i really think the drop is perfect, esp when you see it in person, it's exactly the height i want the car to sit
Old May 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread, you're starting to scare me man. I purchased a set of those Robispec springs for that same vendor on Ebay. I just put them on my 34k mile Bilstiens and was planning on installing them on the car tomorrow. I'm hoping we didn't get screwed and they are in fact the real deal. Now I'm torn, do I take a better part of my day tomorrow and install them or say **** it and buy a set of GTWorx or Spec R's???
Old May 6, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

If they're on, mount em up I'd say.

Like Smike said, hard to tell if mine have been used to outrun Roscoe P. Coltrain for the better part of their lives. They were used Bilsteins, and unfortunately not used by me, as my first Evo came with Ohlins Flags and the one I have now came with the JIC's.

Might as well give them a shot. Honestly I'm curious if yours behave with the same bounciness I'm experiencing. On the other hand, if you stop now, you're only out the cost of the Ebay springs, and you can recoup some of that selling them and try something else.

What do you have now? If you're running stock, please measure your fender to hub center distance and post it up!
Old May 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
i have gtworx with bilstein hds.. i really think the drop is perfect, esp when you see it in person, it's exactly the height i want the car to sit
I'd ask for pics, but I don't trust the appearance of HDs to accurately compare to OEMs. Oh what the hell. Got any pics?
Old May 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
I'd ask for pics, but I don't trust the appearance of HDs to accurately compare to OEMs. Oh what the hell. Got any pics?
oddly enough i dont. surprised i dont and dont have the car with me right now. once i get the car back i'll take some pics of the ride height
Old May 6, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
This is my Evo IX with GTWorx springs installed, but I have the KYB shocks. Hopefully this helps you a bit
Attached Thumbnails My Evo handles like crap-176470_828775130895_6423441_44553612_6162824_o.jpg  
Old May 7, 2011, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

I've had Ebay Robi's with stock KYB(60k) on the car for three weeks.

I get a slight steering wheel movement when over some real shi... roads in NYC when traveling @ highway speeds. Nothing that would ever suggest the car is out of control.

I had the car re-aligned after I did spring install, shop recommended bumpsteer kit whenever car is lowered.

I'll be doing bumpsteer and RCK next week.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree, no noticable rake. I like it!!! but not so sure on the ride height. I think it would be fine with the factory BBS wheels, but I worry that when I throw those RGII's on there with the Star Specs that the gap is going to look huge for that setup.

Edit: ALSO, I see no way to determine what shocks those pics are on. Not a single one of those cars has MR wheels or a VG!!! They all look like GSR's to me.

So according to the link, the GTWorx springs are:
290 lbs/in Front
330 lbs/in Rear

This is both stiffer than the Robispec advertised (which you did the math on above), as well as more "correct" rates for the Evo rear suspension geometry. Damn that is awfully tempting!!!

Smike, looking at those rates, is it safe to say that GTWorx is the second-best AutoX/DD setup behind the Swift Spec R and ahead of the Swift Mach?

Andrew: Do you know if it is recommended to rebuild the Bilsteins to these rates or are they designed with the factory rate in mind for best performance?
What is the tire size for the other set of rims?

Yes and yes for the GTWorx.

Originally Posted by LRM1981
After reading this thread, you're starting to scare me man. I purchased a set of those Robispec springs for that same vendor on Ebay. I just put them on my 34k mile Bilstiens and was planning on installing them on the car tomorrow. I'm hoping we didn't get screwed and they are in fact the real deal. Now I'm torn, do I take a better part of my day tomorrow and install them or say **** it and buy a set of GTWorx or Spec R's???
Well, you can confirm if they are good/bad. We have 1 bad, 1 ok...you're the tie breaker.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: Oh hey, your avatar is trippin me out. What's the pic from and do you have it in full size?
Actually I have the pic life-sized... That's a shot of my wife about 7 years ago when she was still doing fitness competitions.

l8r)
Old May 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Actually I have the pic life-sized... That's a shot of my wife about 7 years ago when she was still doing fitness competitions.

l8r)
I can haz? Really I just want to see a bigger copy, not in a creepy way...

What is the tire size for the other set of rims?

Yes and yes for the GTWorx.
255/40-17. So not physically smaller than the factory tire diameter, but I'm speaking in terms of the RGII's GTR-Face, small outer rim style. The look of the package gives a weird optical illusion making gaps look larger to me sometimes.

So, I went to the local Cars n Coffee Meet this morning, and saw something VERY interesting. 2 IX's. One GSR with Swift Sport (mach, whatever you want to call them?) and one MR with Spec R.

The Spec R were NOT excessively raked. It was the damnedest thing I've seen in a while, because it was certainly NOT what I have seen in pictures. I know they are supposed to sit the same, Sport or Spec R, but these did not. The IX MR on Spec R's had no rear fender gap and a slight front gap. It looked great. I took a pic with my camera phone but it mucked up royally tiny and pixellated.

UPDATE!: I forgot the owner has a blog, here are some pics of the car:
http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/
And here is a pic of the install, confirming Swift on Bilstein (not that I doubted).:
http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2009...new-stability/

Here is a pic in case the link is broken, but you can see, not a ton of rake and pretty good ride height and gap.:

The blue IX GSR was raked too much for my taste, exactly like the forum pics. So much so that I began to doubt the validity of the Spec R's on the MR, but the owner, Jim, showed me the receipt, with part number 4M017R. He also showed me a Swift catalog sheet showing part number 4M008 or something, and said they are different part numbers. Still, I thought the rake was supposed to be the exact same. Any way possible to reduce the rear ride height? Bushings, modifying the spring perch, etc? This **** looked like coilovers that were set to the correct height, I was blown away, to be honest.

So I ask you. What the deuce?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails My Evo handles like crap-2011-dragons.jpg  
Old May 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you can confirm if they are good/bad. We have 1 bad, 1 ok...you're the tie breaker.
I did the install today, everything went on on just fine. I took the car for a test drive and the difference was night and day between the Bilstien's w/ Robispecs and my old stock KYB's with stock springs. Although I didn't get a chance to really hammer through many corners, I'm going to have to say these Ebay Robispecs are in fact legit. I don't have any of the problems like the OP is having. The car feels very balanced, and the ride quality is much more superior to my old setup - the overall handling is greatly improved.

I'll need some more time with the car and a proper alignment, but I'm happy with the way the car feels as of now.

Pics after the install:

Quick Reply: My Evo handles like crap