Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HELP! OEM schocks or coilovers

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! OEM schocks or coilovers

My front shocks r blown on my Evo 9, I was thinking about getting the Tein basic damper coil over set, I was going to buy the oem shocks but I dont feel like paying $600 for 2 oem shocks if for a couple bucks more I can get a full set of coilovers. I want to know which set of coilovers u recomend me, Im looking for a soft ride the closest I can get to a stock feeling, is not a race car is my lightly modified daily driver....Thanks!
Old May 9, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Coil-overs - none.

Search used parts for KYBs. Fronts should be under $200 for a pair.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:16 AM

KYB doesnt make Evo front struts, just the rear ones...I already check!
Old May 9, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

No. Re-read my post. Get a used KYB from the For Sale section here.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
For what you want, Tein would be a terrible idea.. Actually, IMO Tein is always a bad idea :P

Find some used bilsteins or kyb's if you're real cheap/poor.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swift sports & mr bilstein's / bilstein hd's , 1200 or less if you can find used. Doubt any coilover will ride better in the less than 2k range
Old May 9, 2011, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Torito_Evo
My front shocks r blown on my Evo 9, I was thinking about getting the Tein basic damper coil over set, I was going to buy the oem shocks but I dont feel like paying $600 for 2 oem shocks if for a couple bucks more I can get a full set of coilovers. I want to know which set of coilovers u recomend me, Im looking for a soft ride the closest I can get to a stock feeling, is not a race car is my lightly modified daily driver....Thanks!
If your front shocks are gone, then it might be safe to bet that your rears may be closer to death than you like. Could be tomorrow, or a year from now, possibly never.

It may be wiser to make the upgrade to coilovers. Quality may vary from brand to brand. But Tein basics coilovers would be compliant for what your looking for, daily driver comfort and decent stance. Twin Tube Technology is fine for the street, but in more extreme applications, its not the coilover to be running.

Just curious, how would you describe your local city roads that you drive on for your daily driver.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
If your front shocks are gone, then it might be safe to bet that your rears may be closer to death than you like. Could be tomorrow, or a year from now, possibly never.

It may be wiser to make the upgrade to coilovers. Quality may vary from brand to brand. But Tein basics coilovers would be compliant for what your looking for, daily driver comfort and decent stance. Twin Tube Technology is fine for the street, but in more extreme applications, its not the coilover to be running.

Just curious, how would you describe your local city roads that you drive on for your daily driver.
Really. I...lets say...dislike...that word stance. I get immediate visions of Paul Walker and danger to manifold. Cue Ja Rule.

Whole sets:
Used KYBs ~$200
Used MR/HD Bilsteins ~$400
New HD Bilstein ~$750

And rears and fronts see different hits. I recommend doing both front struts. Thats where its true that one goes the other one is likely to follow. But rears with fronts -- saying is not true.

OP is looking for stock ride in a daily driver. There is no reason to get some cheap coil-overs to "gain" anything.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

<~~ is stalking the on-going forum fight..
Old May 10, 2011, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bassicfun

Old May 10, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torito_Evo
Your best bet is a set of used KYB struts. IMO second best choice is a set of new Bilstein HD struts (~750) - can be hard to find at times, but well worth it, IMO. You'll need a set of springs at ~250-300 to go with them (GT Worx or Swift Sport for your application).

Going with cheap coilovers will ruin your ride.

l8r)
Old May 10, 2011, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Not an ongoing fight, just differences of opinions. I think if we started a talk show, I would love to have my friend sitting on the other side

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Really. I...lets say...dislike...that word stance. I get immediate visions of Paul Walker and danger to manifold. Cue Ja Rule.

Whole sets:
Used KYBs ~$200
Used MR/HD Bilsteins ~$400
New HD Bilstein ~$750

And rears and fronts see different hits. I recommend doing both front struts. Thats where its true that one goes the other one is likely to follow. But rears with fronts -- saying is not true.

OP is looking for stock ride in a daily driver. There is no reason to get some cheap coil-overs to "gain" anything.
With my limited experience. When you opt for used anything, you should approach with caution. Not to put any doubt on Bilstein or KYB struts quality or construction, but generally the condition of suspension items are under reported. In my car club here in Canada, our road and weather conditions are worse so use struts have a shortened life cycle. It must be nice living in the south... sigh... again I am not driving an evo 8 or 9. But every other car I deal with on a regular basis means that you may pay more over time.

P.S. I take it your not watching the final Fast 5 movie lol

Last edited by evo_soul; May 10, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Not an ongoing fight, just differences of opinions. I think if we started a talk show, I would love to have my friend sitting on the other side

With my limited experience. When you opt for used anything, you should approach with caution. Not to put any doubt on Bilstein or KYB struts quality or construction, but generally the condition of suspension items are under reported. In my car club here in Canada, our road and weather conditions are worse so use struts have a shortened life cycle. It must be nice living in the south... sigh... again I am not driving an evo 8 or 9. But every other car I deal with on a regular basis means that you may pay more over time.

P.S. I take it your not watching the final Fast 5 movie lol
My opinions are backed by fact and science. And that little bit being that I owned, raced, and developed parts on the CT9A.

Approach with caution? You're just about to tell him to get some low end coil-overs that are over his budget. Not what he wants. OP wants stock replacement and his limited budget.

Used KYB are the most economical. And likely can be had with low mileage. Bilsteins can be rebuilt at the Bilstein West HQ. Meaning, they will last forever with servicing.

Struts are wear times. Coil-overs need rebuilds too over time. And many coil-overs do not like salt/snow/sand. Seen enough seized ones. Seized = replace whole unit.

From Michigan. Technically I live in Ohio. Work has me in the south. To be honest, roads are not that much better. They are incredibly slow to repair them when they need it. Going on 7 months here and a bridge is still down to the base substrate and awaiting asphalt.

And no. Not wasting my money on that movie.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I had a blown strut. A poster here sold me his KYB and spring stuff - all four corners and they look nearly new. Three nuts on top, two bolts below, the little nut that holds the brake line and the strut was swapped. It took longer to jack the car and remove the wheel.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts

With my limited experience. When you opt for used anything, you should approach with caution.

Should say, When you opt for Tein you should approach with caution

Unless you like horribly miss-matched crap that blows annually...