Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possible to convert front Mac Suspension to Double A arm?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011 | 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Iowa...

Do you think they use Mac for Rally due to Travel???

I can say for certain though, a 2G DSMs suck *** on handling in comparison to the EVO. That tall cast iron upright SUCKS and limits tire clearance. It's not really a double A-arm setup though, as it actually has two lower links and one upper. The knuckle actually gains caster as you steer and they did this supposedly for packaging constraints.

Regardless, the EVO is much more developed and thinking of getting a 2G because it has an double A-arm setup is NOT a good idea.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; May 25, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 24, 2011 | 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have a complete computer model of the 2G DSM suspension and can tell you that it is one of craziest designs ever. The offset double lower ball joints at the lower front are a total nightmare and that compression arm added an incredible amount of almost useless partially sprung weight. With that said, with some work, that car could be made to handle very nicely.

But it wasn't an Evo.

And please note that I didn't suggest that he should switch to a 2G regardless of motivation. I said he should try a 2G if he really wants double wishbone. I know that I'm not going back. If nothing else, I want to rallycross and the 2G had very little suspension travel in the front. And I've seen a post or two lately that suggested that suspension travel is kind of a big deal for rally cars.
Old May 24, 2011 | 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

I used to own a '78 Trans Am and with its double A-arm front suspension and horse drawn wagon rear suspension it was a great handling car. Now I own an Evo with its very simple strut front suspension and complicated rear suspension and it is a great handling car. It makes me wonder if fashion doesn't dictate what suspension the car will have and then it is up to the engineers to make it work.
Old May 25, 2011 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Not gonna happen. This thread is a bit silly, no offense to OP. I mean while we are at it redesigning the front suspension let's just find a way to swap in a 2jzgte. The evos handle very well even in stock form regardless of your thoughts on macpherson struts. My mildly modded evo with macpherson struts is regularly faster at autox's and tracks than other cars with fancy a-arms. There are ways to make the evo handle without trying to re-invent the wheel. My .02. Ymmv
Old May 28, 2011 | 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

A double A-arm in the front of the Evo would make it crazy good. Griggs Racing has a double A-arm conversion kit for Mustangs, and classic hot rods have had double a-arm kits available for years.

The kits themselves are not cheap, and usually run $1500+
Double A-arm does have it's benefits and is a superior design to a MacPherson strut, but that argument would end up ten pages long.