Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possible to convert front Mac Suspension to Double A arm?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011 | 12:49 PM

Possible to convert front Mac Suspension to Double A arm?

I've been reading about car chassis recently and read about double wishbone suspensions. They seem to be very beneficial in many ways, so I was wondering is it possible to change the front MacPherson suspension on the Evo into a double wishbone one? I was suprised to find out that Honda actually used double wishbone suspensions on their Civic for a time seeing that the Civic is their cheaper, economy car. Anyways would a front Doublewishbone benefit the Evo? And is it possible to make one?
Old May 23, 2011 | 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Anything is possible... But, not gonna happen. This is definitely one of those topic where if you have to ask you cant do it.
Old May 23, 2011 | 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jlee4706
I've been reading about car chassis recently and read about double wishbone suspensions. They seem to be very beneficial in many ways, so I was wondering is it possible to change the front MacPherson suspension on the Evo into a double wishbone one? I was suprised to find out that Honda actually used double wishbone suspensions on their Civic for a time seeing that the Civic is their cheaper, economy car. Anyways would a front Doublewishbone benefit the Evo? And is it possible to make one?
I would say if you started off with a tube frame chassis with an evo body would be the easiest way. What are you trying to accomplish with this?
Old May 24, 2011 | 11:21 AM

I'm not planning on doing it now, I was just wondering if such a thing was feasible. Double wishbone seems to be superior in many ways so I was thinking why the Evo didn't have one in the front. If it is possible I might do it one day in the future when I have extra cash or want to heavily modify my Evo.
Old May 24, 2011 | 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

To be blunt, if you have an Evo VIII, but want double wishbone front suspension, presumably for road racing, then I'd just get a 2G DSM. After all, for a long time the 2G DSM was, effectively, the road-racing version of the Evo (which is a rally car at heart).
Old May 24, 2011 | 12:48 PM

Okay, thanks for the replies. Maybe I will get a 2g one day. Just out of curiosity why does the Evo use MacPherson Struts up front? Is it stronger? Or is it just smaller and cheaper to build.
Old May 24, 2011 | 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

By my understanding, the main reason for struts on rally cars is suspension travel. (I know that this is the reason you don't rallycross a 2G DSM ... lack of travel.) Maybe strength and weight play roles, too, but travel is key.

Last edited by Iowa999; May 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 24, 2011 | 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

You would have to cut and weld in new suspension mounting points as well as be familiar with how to align a vehicles suspension, But to answer your question. Yes it can be done.
Old May 24, 2011 | 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, it can definitely be done. If you search the DSM forums, you'll find at least one example of someone putting a 2G DSM front suspension on a 1G DSM. It turned out to be a nightmare and not worth it, IIRC, but it's been done.
Old May 24, 2011 | 02:49 PM

They use Macpherson because its cheaper to produce.
If you want a vehicle with double wishbone just sell your car and get a miata or a an s2k or something. Any of the older hondas are doublewishbone as well.

but macpherson has its advantages as well. ease of adjusting camber at the track with plates. even though they are pretty set throughout travel.

Just because a car has macpherson doesnt mean it sucks. Most Porsche's use macpherson up front. Heck they rave about how well the cayman and the boxster handles and it has a macpherson setup on all four corners.
Old May 24, 2011 | 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
They use Macpherson because its cheaper to produce.
I do not agree. If the only advantage of struts for a rally car was cost, then none of the WRC cars would have struts, since cost is not an issue to them. But all rally cars do have struts and it's for the reason I gave above: more suspension travel.
Old May 24, 2011 | 09:33 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

I dont know for sure but I suspect Rally uses mac-strut for the lack of camber change through out its motion. A road race car has high grip and chassis roll where a rally car spends its times over bumps, un-even roads, and sliding sideways. So minimal camber and toe change under bump is more important than camber gain.

As far as which is more robust, Id argue double wishbone is more robust since all the suspension parts are loaded as two force members (or roughly so) where as with Mac-strut the strut is loaded in bending.
Old May 24, 2011 | 09:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I do not agree. If the only advantage of struts for a rally car was cost, then none of the WRC cars would have struts, since cost is not an issue to them. But all rally cars do have struts and it's for the reason I gave above: more suspension travel.
Well, it is cheaper too and that's the reason for most (maybe not all) street cars that run a macstrut set-up.

- drew
Old May 24, 2011 | 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Packaging for one. The McPherson strut package takes up less room, which when the engine is sitting transversely, that's an advantage.

Less parts to break for another, I think this is partially the reason for the use in Rally cars too, as you can make a double wishbone have any kind of camber curve you want but the Strut is one robust piece of equipment, even though it has to take both axial and radial loads where a double A-Arm shock only carries axial loads.

FWIW, the EVO, the 911 turbo, and the M3 are some of the best handling cars money can buy...they all have struts up front. I'm not saying it is better, but it can get the job done.
Old May 24, 2011 | 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you wanted to, Dallas, you can design a double wishbone with a flat bump-camber curve. Equal-length, parallel arms. If that's what they wanted for a rally car, they'd do it. (In fact, I've seen plenty of rally trucks with exactly that.) And given that a double wishbone has the strength advantage, there must be a different reason for struts on WRC cars. Oh, wait. I have an idea. Suspension travel.

Quick Reply: Possible to convert front Mac Suspension to Double A arm?