Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

coilover feedback???

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilover feedback???

im having trouble trying to decide on a decent coil over i can autox with but rides well on the streets i was maybe looking at the tien mono flex but would like other opinions what u guys runninibg how are they??
Old May 25, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Search and read. I don't know, maybe a few hundred threads - ones I would start with...Motor Sports Forum -- SM, BSP, STU discussions.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:28 AM

sorrryyyy... i was trying to get people feed back from person expirence.....
Old May 25, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My experience with non-Evos is that Teins are not what you want since they have way too much compression damping when set to have adequate amounts of rebound damping.

If looking for advice on mods for autocrossing, always include tow pieces of information: the class in which you intend to run and your budget. Then we can be much more helpful.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by walker992
sorrryyyy... i was trying to get people feed back from person expirence.....
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Search and read. I don't know, maybe a few hundred threads - ones I would start with...Motor Sports Forum -- SM, BSP, STU discussions.
Note bold sections.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

There are many threads detailing coilover experiences ... seriously, search.

To give you the really quick rundown in my opinion:

1. Tein on Evo = FAIL
2. Evo Suspension from most to least effective:

High end coilovers (5k++, think JRZ, Ohlins, Motons, etc.) > Mid range coilovers ($3K+, think Ohlins, AST, etc.) > Stock + Good Spring > Stock > cheap coilover > stock + poor spring (Tein comes to mind)

3. The #1 biggest thing negatively affecting your Evo 8's handling is your rear diff. Get it upgraded (how far you upgrade it will depend on which class you want to auto-x in). Lack of a front LSD on the '03/'04 doesn't help either.

l8r)
Old May 26, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some Tein Flex on my car previously. While they were better than the stock KYB with stock springs imo they were not all that great. I since then got good deal on a nice set of PSS9's with swift springs that were revalved and boy the difference was huge from the tein. I would say do what smike says and check out the motorsports forums and look at MR bilstein with some swift springs for the 'cheap but good option' or something better like was said above. Although I would add KW V3 to the list above as well for the 3k range.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:10 AM

thank you guys no i know tiens are peices of **** on an evo and i didnt know the rear dif fhas alot to do with the handling
Old May 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tein makes a broad range of coilovers and not all of their coilovers should be classed as the same "crap". Tein's top of the line stuff seeems like it would be pretty good. I remember reading the fastest evo in the 2010 Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge, an unsponsored driver at that, was running teins. The Super Racing model I think. He lapped 7+ seconds faster than the 929 AMS/Amsoil Evo the 2nd fastest evo out there. So I have to dissagree with that blanket statemant "Tein on Evo = FAIL" and change it to sub $2K Tein=Fail

Last edited by nudge120; May 27, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Muellerized suspension has been doing well at the auto x events here in CO. there are different price ranges he offers. one of the fastest evo viii in the stock class out here is running muelerized JIC. Just something to look into