Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Here I go again: PSS9 problems :(

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here I go again: PSS9 problems :(

Hey guys how's it going, here's my problem:
My PSS9 clunk and I've checked/replaced every part possible and the clunk is still there, so the culprit is the strut itself. I will try to contact bilstein about the warranty and all that, but I was thinking instead of getting a new suspension ( onlins DFV for instance) I could have the PSS9 revalved and matched to new springs, and here's where my question actually comes: what rates should I ask for? I have no clue how that works, all I know is I want the car to ride at stock height or closest to stock possible ( longer springs maybe ?? ) and I want it to ride like the stock KYB's and better ( reason why I got the PSS9). Right now the car feels floaty, it's fairly easy to compress on the corners and make the car bounce, it's not like that with my brother's Sti ( PSS9 kit on that one) which on setting #4 ( 1 is hardest) the car is nearly impossible to compress/bounce, yet the ride feels/handles amazing. I think my whole kit just went boing, but it's really odd since the susp. has only 5k miles ( I got it new) and no track duty at all, no hitting potholes or anything like that.
Well, that was a long post, I hope all the experts can chime in and help me out.
Thanks a lot,
Ed

Cliffnotes: I need to know what springs to get for my PSS9 and what valving to ask for. I believe one strut went bad, makes clunk.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What rates do you have now and how are the streets in Ecuador?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

the ones that came with bilstein, I don't really know what they are sorry and streets over here are OK, I avoid anything and everything that can potentially damage my vehicle and it's components.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Your first step is to find out what rates you have. I read in another thread that they are 8k/9k but you should double check. Judging by your other thread your coil overs have never performed right. What are your settings?

Last edited by RevMoto; Jun 7, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

this is actually the second set of PSS9 I get, the first one ( got it used ) didn't quite perform, this new was fine until I heard the clunk, and compared the ride stiffness to my brother's STI...
I am really considering re valving them, and getting a new set of springs, but I really don't know where to even start, what should I ask bilstein to do?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

The biggest selling point to these coil overs is the valving that they come with and the springs seem perfect for aggreSsive street driving. Unless you hit something and destroyed one then they should be fine with 5k miles. Maybe want to check other suspension parts. Try stiffening up the shocks, remember 9 is the softest. That or sell these and try another brand.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Responded to PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Guys thanks for your help, now I'm going back to the drawing board... After I installed the stock suspension I hear even more noises :-( maybe the stock setup is blown too... Right now I will install the pss9 on my friend's evo 7 and see if it makes any noises, if the struts are blown I will send them to bilstein for revalve/repair...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Guys thanks for your help, now I'm going back to the drawing board... After I installed the stock suspension I hear even more noises :-( maybe the stock setup is blown too... Right now I will install the pss9 on my friend's evo 7 and see if it makes any noises, if the struts are blown I will send them to bilstein for revalve/repair...
Good benchmark - let us know how that goes.

As a former PSS9 owner, I had clunking too and had to send in for a revalve. I had some aggressive valving done to all four shocks with some pretty high rates, so that part of my experience won't help you, but I will say they handled very well.

After the revalve (also about 4-5k miles on them before the clunk) they were mint.

I switched to Ohlin DFV R&T and even on 10k/12k rates, they're like riding on clouds on the street
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

well, this is how my experiment went: the 2 front PSS9 struts are definitely bad, one is more noticeable than the other, but both of them made clunking noises when installed on my friend's evo 7 ( he has MR bilsteins and they don't make a single noise ).
So, I already spoke to Bilstein, and they said I have to send them in, they will inspect them, and replace or repair if that's the case.
Hey Solo II Evo, your experience is actually quite helpful, do you mind sharing with me what rates did you ask bilstein to use when re valving your kit? also, what springs did you go with? and finally, how does the ohlins compare to the re valved PSS9 you had?
Thanks a lot guys, at least now I know what that horrendous clunk was, and hopefully I will get a whole lot better suspension out of all this
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I would get them fixed and then sell them. I am sure it is a good suspension but needing a rebuild after 5k is a no go in my book unless I owned a high end set of coil overs that got tracked every weekend.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember you posting a while ago about your last set of pss9's. Sorry to hear your still having issues with those coilovers. Have you thought about just going back to a set of oem struts? With the right setup they can be decent for dd and still be fast at the track.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the last time I posted about the PSS9's I had a used set, this time I got a new kit ( should have gotten ohlins instead ) and I agree that at 5k they shouldn't need a rebuild, like I said I take good care of my stuff and I haven't hit them or anything, so maybe I just got a bad batch or something.
I always wanted to get bilstein HD's with nice springs, but I got tired of waiting for them to be available, so I got the PSS9. I'll have them fixed, then maybe sell, or re valve, we'll see.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I completely forgot to update this thread, I contacted Bilstein's warranty department, and they agreed to send me 2 NEW front struts, I got the new struts, installed them, and I am riding noise free, with a great set of coilovers!
So there guys, whoever wants to get a great set of coilovers at an affordable price, go ahead, Bilstein is a stand up company.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this thread is old but i am still battling the pss9 clunk lol. how have yours held up since you got them back evorado?
was your clunk the same as this ? cos this is how mine sounds !
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7kj1...le_driving.mp3

i put friends stock suspension in (30,000miles) and it was silent so my noise was indeed the pss9/top strut.. but im still worried it could be the top strut as that is stock and not the pss9 ?