Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Recommended Tire Pressure for Stanced Cars [chime in]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommended Tire Pressure for Stanced Cars [chime in]

Im looking for any info someone might have on what tire pressure is ideal for a stanced car.

For exmaple; when running -2 camber, any recommended tire pressure for max performance while not raping the tire?

Im sure there has to be a recommended amount of psi in the tires. If the tire has to much air, it'll be more of a bubble and probably ride a lot more on the side, causing lots of wear with -2 camber, versus a tire that could be for example running 25psi(50max) to create more contact with the road reducing uneven wear. Obviously if the tire doesn't have enough air in it, it will be sloppy on turns.

Anyone care to chime in?
Or does everyone just run the norm of about 32 psi front, and 29psi rear (or so), even while under camber and just replace tires as needed?

/dave
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
Im looking for any info someone might have on what tire pressure is ideal for a stanced car.

For exmaple; when running -2 camber, any recommended tire pressure for max performance while not raping the tire?

Im sure there has to be a recommended amount of psi in the tires. If the tire has to much air, it'll be more of a bubble and probably ride a lot more on the side, causing lots of wear with -2 camber, versus a tire that could be for example running 25psi(50max) to create more contact with the road reducing uneven wear. Obviously if the tire doesn't have enough air in it, it will be sloppy on turns.

Anyone care to chime in?
Or does everyone just run the norm of about 32 psi front, and 29psi rear (or so), even while under camber and just replace tires as needed?

/dave
i ran 40psi on my last tires, with -4 camber. lasted about a year. if you are running aggressive camber(-2 is not aggressive) then as long as you are not superstretch(225/40 on 10 or 10.5 inch rim) then just run toward the upper band of the recomended tire pressure. and run the same pressure front and rear this might not help you with my set up though. i have 225/40 on a 9.5 width rim
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the post.
Wouldn't your tires last a little more with less psi?
And you're right, -2 isn't that aggressive. Im gonna be running 255/40 on 17x9's.

I'll just stick around the 30's and see how it goes (psi)

/dave

Originally Posted by stpkenton
i ran 40psi on my last tires, with -4 camber. lasted about a year. if you are running aggressive camber(-2 is not aggressive) then as long as you are not superstretch(225/40 on 10 or 10.5 inch rim) then just run toward the upper band of the recomended tire pressure. and run the same pressure front and rear this might not help you with my set up though. i have 225/40 on a 9.5 width rim
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What is 'stanced'? Is this the new hellaflush trend?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Yes.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxevo
unfortunately...

to the OP i have a feeling ur just going to be DD'ing the car, so you should be fine running 35psi
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
unfortunately...

to the OP i have a feeling ur just going to be DD'ing the car, so you should be fine running 35psi
+1 and yes i would have benefited from using less pressure. i found out the hard way
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

+1 and yes i would have benefited from using less pressure. i found out the hard way
;o

i dd my evo, with maybe 1-2 track sessions during the season. -2front -1.5 rear, and gonna sit around 30psi in the tires, maybe make slight adjustment depending how it sits and handles in corners.

ill post some pics when i get the tires on next week
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
-2/-1.5 is hardly over the top for the street.

Run 34-36 psi.

And if your tires are stretched...well all I'll say is....good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
;o

i dd my evo, with maybe 1-2 track sessions during the season. -2front -1.5 rear, and gonna sit around 30psi in the tires, maybe make slight adjustment depending how it sits and handles in corners.

ill post some pics when i get the tires on next week
Your car looks sick but is going to handle like garbage. You should sign up for Smikes Handling 101 aka email him a million times until your car handles amazing.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's toe that eats tires, not camber, and toe-out is more damaging than toe-in. Camber just focuses the wear on only part of the tread. Lowering the pressures allows the sidewall to flex more, reducing the damage done by toe. But eliminating any toe-out is the best way to prolong the life of a tire.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
Your car looks sick but is going to handle like garbage. You should sign up for Smikes Handling 101 aka email him a million times until your car handles amazing.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any recommended tire pressure for max performance
systematic testing with a temperature sensor is the only way, i believe. Everything else is simply hearsay.

40psi , -4 camber, 225/40, 9.5 width rim
must drive awesome.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
-2/-1.5 is hardly over the top for the street.

Run 34-36 psi.
This is a good range for a 255/40. I run 38-39 psi on my 265/35R18s. A lot depends on the tire as well (ie. not just tire size).

l8r)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
It's toe that eats tires, not camber, and toe-out is more damaging than toe-in. Camber just focuses the wear on only part of the tread. Lowering the pressures allows the sidewall to flex more, reducing the damage done by toe. But eliminating any toe-out is the best way to prolong the life of a tire.
My last set of tires prematurely wore out due to camber with zero toe all around so I wouldn't say that is entirely true.

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire Pressure for Stanced Cars [chime in]