Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shakes when I hit the brakes, new rotors needed?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shakes when I hit the brakes, new rotors needed?

Hi, I've been having this problem lately where whenever I step on the brakes, especially when coming off the freeway (from 65 mph), my steering wheel starts to shake back and forth. Could this be a sign I need to replace my rotors? It only happens when I step on the brakes.

For reference, my car is an '06 Evo IX GSR with OEM brake system, wheels and tires. I did replace my brake pads a few months back with Stoptechs, but the shaking only recently started in the last couple weeks. Car has less than 40K miles on the odometer.

So yeah, should I be looking at replacement rotors or maybe looking at other things? Thanks for you help Evom.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Mabe a warped rotor? Depending on wear, you may be able to turn them.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could be pad transfer... Usually thats the case and people just think they warped the rotors. If you look at them, do they look like they have excessive transfer in areas or does the surface seem "even"? If they look like they have uneven transfer you could try using steel wool or a heavy grit sandpaper and then re-bed them. Good Luck.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Could be pad transfer... Usually thats the case and people just think they warped the rotors. If you look at them, do they look like they have excessive transfer in areas or does the surface seem "even"? If they look like they have uneven transfer you could try using steel wool or a heavy grit sandpaper and then re-bed them. Good Luck.
Use these links for reference.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...rs/post/Bed-in
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:21 PM

Did you break the pads in after you installed them?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:26 PM

shake

Clamp off your rear brake lines if it goes away its the back rotors if the problem still there its the front brakes!! Good luck
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:04 PM

I would try a re-bedding first. (10) 60mph-10mph at 80% breaking. Then cruise around for 5-10 minutes @ 55+. Then do it again. Then, . . . . you guessed it, one more time.
If you rotors are coroded and have a lip on them towards the outermost part of the rotor, than you may need new rotors.

Sounds like they were never beddedright.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

When you replace the brake pads did you machine the rotors? Bc if you didnt thats most likely the reason its doing that. Try machining them and see if the pulsation goes away. It should
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:58 AM
Account Disabled

my rotors were rusted/warped on my civic and the same thing happened. especially pressing sharply on the brakes. i got new rotors and it completely stopped happening.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Have you had to beat on your breaks a couple times from higher speeds....in the 100mph area or so? If you are that could be the cause for the pad transfer. (I'm guilty it happened to me about a month ago). Solved my problem by going easy on the breaks for about a week and the shaking subsided. Now in the hunt for new break pads.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEXEVOVIII
Clamp off your rear brake lines if it goes away its the back rotors if the problem still there its the front brakes!! Good luck
I wouldn't try this, clamping the line could do damage to the line.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by kwanza
Mabe a warped rotor? Depending on wear, you may be able to turn them.
What he said, sounds like a warped rotor to me, had the same thing happening to me, if you've been smiling while driving your evo chances are you've gotten the rotors too hot and warped them
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a similar problem a while back but oddly enough it was not my brakes at all. The culprit was actually a front tire that was slightly worn and out of balance. My fault since I never rotated the tires when I first bought the car. Pretty expensive lesson and I loved those Yokohama Advans. Put on a new set of tires and the problem went away.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

I had similar problem after I turned the stock rotors. They were fine for about 1k miles and then at some point they warped. I came on evom and seen how many peps said NOT to turn stockers. I went with centric slotted as replacements, couldnt be happier.

As sotxEvo said as well I have seen with unevenly worn tires that are not properly balanced cause a bit of a wobble when breaking, i just had mine rebalanced with new tires as old were worn and exhibiting this very behavoir, that would be good spot to start if tires still have life in them.

JUST SOME ADVICE DONT TAKE TO SAMS CLUB!!

Last edited by djchopps0013; Jun 28, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Try checking the torque on the lug nuts. that can also cause the same vibration. If the torque on the lug nuts is correct, then you might have warped rotors and I would just buy new ones at that point, especially if there are significant signs of wear on the rotors.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes when I hit the brakes, new rotors needed?