Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

which R comp

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car isn't too low. My spring rates are 11k front 12k rear. The reason I would like to switch to an R comp is my nt05s don't hold the power. Although it is fun to slide around it would be nice to have traction when I need it. So it sounds like my camber is good. I just need to roll my fenders and pull the liners.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I just need to roll my fenders and pull the liners.
Ive heard removing the liners is not good. There is some serious electrical wiring that runs in the wheel well & those harnesses need protection

Can someone verify this. Never seen a photo of the front wells w/ no liner
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard the same thing.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
I track with the PCA and it seems the Porsche guys love the R888's. Most of them go to that tire after they wear out their Sport Cups. I've never used them myself.
I have a set of pilot sport cups that came off a 2010 GT3 for cheap. 3300 street miles. 3mm in the rear 4mm in the front. They are not down to the wear bars yet. Sorry to thread jack lol.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car isn't too low. My spring rates are 11k front 12k rear. The reason I would like to switch to an R comp is my nt05s don't hold the power. Although it is fun to slide around it would be nice to have traction when I need it. So it sounds like my camber is good. I just need to roll my fenders and pull the liners.
Try to keep the liners in there as long as possible , Just like the other posts said there are a lot of important wires in there and it keeps rocks and other crap outta hard to reach (clean) places, If you carefully 'adjust' the mounting points on your fender liners you should be able to keep them in there without much rubbing at all.

As long as you arent going to be doing much or any road driving on the race rubber your camber is perfect , I run a little less 2.2 in the front but i have an RS, no ABS and it helps with the braking a fair amount and i keep the pressure in the mid 30s .

Good luck with your setup share pics when you get it together.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
One note on the fender liners - they are soft plastic. They will "self clearance" even if you do initially get a little bit of rubbing. The only place to be concerned is in the front where the metal supports are on the back side of the fender liners. if you rub though to the metal - well, metal trumps rubber and will wear your tires a bit. . .

As others have said, if you are just starting out with AX and track days I would try to run a street tire class if your local SCCA chapter has one. That way you can have one set of tires that does it all. . . and my recommendation for that would be the Advan Neova AD08, Hankook, or Dunlop Star Spec.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

I just picked up a set of 255 star specs. Only issue is they rub on my coilovers in front. I'm planning on going to a new rim and tire next spring for auto x. I just need to order my spacers for my car.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I just picked up a set of 255 star specs. Only issue is they rub on my coilovers in front. I'm planning on going to a new rim and tire next spring for auto x. I just need to order my spacers for my car.
It's not the tire thats causing your issue but your rims. A 5mm or 10mm spacer will solve it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

these tires are wider than my last set. The tire is rubbing not the rim. I thought about running a 20mm spacer. That is what I'm planning on running next year also.