Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brake shake and squeals again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you could educate yourself about how a brake system works and how to do your own brakes.

Brakes and an uneducated consumer are the number one profit maker for the auto repair industry.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your lug nuts are being hand torqued to the correct ft lbs. I think its 78. A differance of a couple ft lbs per lug can easily cause brake rotor runout.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:48 PM

madman, good tips didn't think about that. torque should be correct but i'll double check next time i have my tires rotated.

cdfireman, thanks. i actually have a pretty good handle on brakes and will likely do the work myself once i have an idea of what i'm looking for. but the last few times have been circumstances where it made the most sense to have someone do the work.

jarv, normal driving, some spirited trips in the mountains on the weekend, some dumb stuff once and awhile, about 1000 miles a month, mostly surface street driving. no major highway driving.

thanks. sorry for the late reply. didn't get the email from the system.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

ahhhh really?

Originally Posted by b0yw0nder

cdfireman, thanks. i actually have a pretty good handle on brakes and will likely do the work myself once i have an idea of what i'm looking for. but the last few times have been circumstances where it made the most sense to have someone do the work.
Did you read the link I gave you above? You must have gotten your " pretty good handle on brakes" after everything already happened that you in the first post then.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:44 AM

your original comment was
"Or you could educate yourself about how a brake system works and how to do your own brakes."

which i have a pretty good handle on..specifically how a braking system works and how to do the work myself.

i did look at your link, I should have said thanks for it as it does provide some good information pn some myths around braking systems. however what it doesn't cover is diagnosis of braking problems which is what i'm looking for here.

i may attempt what they suggest at the end of the first section, but I have tried that in the past without avail.

if there is some other suggestion that you have to help me understand what other factors may be contributing, it would be helpful if you made the comment in plain language rather than me trying to read between the lines.

thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Your rotors aren't warped. If a repair shop tells you they are they're not being honest or they don't know the truth. Watch this video, read this page.
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...rs/post/Bed-in

If this doesn't fix your "WARPED ROTORS" watch this video and read these pages. You may need to install some more abrasive pads temporally in to clean your rotors.
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/swapping_pads

Clean those rotors.
http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...eposit-removal

I don't know any other way to say it, you got screwed and you threw away a bunch of cash. Believe somebody that's trying to help you for free and has some knowledge or believe a shop that only want's your money?

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:29 AM

thanks CDF

i guess what i'm trying to wrap my head around is how i didn't run into the same problem with my stock brakes. are non slotted rotors and stock pads less prone to this type of issue? i highly doubt many people take their brand new cars and bed the brakes. nor do i think it is done from factory.

also, since at one point it was confirmed that one of my calipers had frozen and worn the rotors unevenly and now I'm seeing the same issues, I was concerned that maybe some other geometry problem was causing the problem. so it sounds like you're also saying that this diagnosis may have been errant previously.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

correct sir

Originally Posted by b0yw0nder
thanks CDF

i guess what i'm trying to wrap my head around is how i didn't run into the same problem with my stock brakes. are non slotted rotors and stock pads less prone to this type of issue? i highly doubt many people take their brand new cars and bed the brakes. nor do i think it is done from factory.

also, since at one point it was confirmed that one of my calipers had frozen and worn the rotors unevenly and now I'm seeing the same issues, I was concerned that maybe some other geometry problem was causing the problem. so it sounds like you're also saying that this diagnosis may have been errant previously.
Stock pads are not very "High Performance" they are made to prevent customer complainants that could cause them to come in for warranty work at a trade off for performance. True "High Performance" pads make all kind of noise, have a much higher chance of developing uneven pad deposits "Warped rotors", don't last very long, produce a lot of dust, don't work at low temps etc.

Any pad will be a balance between performance, comfort, longevity, noise and cost much like a tire. You'll always trade one off for another. If it works really good at the race track you won't want to take your kids to school with it.

Who was it that "confirmed that one of my calipers had frozen and worn the rotors unevenly"? Was it yours or the shops choice of who did it? Has anybody on this forum heard of or seen a caliper on an evo become frozen?

From rereading your first post it looks like that second shop had no clue what they're doing and took you for a long ride.