Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pads Advice... Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011 | 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
You gotta be kidding me right? 600whp and your running some crappy chinese made no name brake pads? Rotors are more important than pads!? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!? Rotors basically do the same thing, they wont help you stop your car any better really. Rotors are essentially act as a heat sink, the BRAKE PADS is what creates the friction to stop your vehicle. For instance, running 2 piece rotors will help with keeping brake temps down on a race/track car by having more surface area, efficient cooling vains, reducing rotational mass, etc... on the street or canyons, any good quality 1pc rotor will stop the car just the same as the car on the expensive 2pc rotors. Having the right brake pad/compound is what makes the difference, rotors not so much.

REMEMBER, these are high performance vehicles, TIRES and BRAKE PADS should BY FAR be among the highest priority of any vehicle, especially a sports car. Project Mu NS street pads are a great street pad, they produce FAR less dust and noise than the oem brembo/ferodo pads, have better initial bite and perform better at higher temps. As I started tracking the car, I now run Project Mu Club Racer pads which are definately streetable but are kind of loud for daily street use. The B-Force compound is great step up from the NS compound for higher performance street use. Ive tried numerous other brands in the past and used to be a Ferodo/PFC *****, but ive come to love the performance characteristics and longevity of Project Mu brake pads.
What rotors do you run with the Project MU NS's?
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 07:53 PM

So it seems as though the HKS and Project Mu pads are the most popular. I'll keep them in mind and chose which ever I like more when the time comes.
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RallyBud
What rotors do you run with the Project MU NS's?
When I had the NS on my car, I just had the oem rotors. I run both the PMU Club Racer rotors and pads on my car now. I have yet to get these pads to fade at the track and the modulation is just awesome. Before this setup i ran the Ferodo DS3000 on my evo but it eats through rotors like nothing and the brake dust was corrosive enough to damage my wheels. The clubracer pads are really easy on the rotors, last longer than the ferodo pads and are much better to drive on the street. Though keep in mind that the clubracer is considered a race pad and the NS is a street only pad.
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

This!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ferodo DS2500 from Lancershop ...my 2 cents.
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 09:14 AM

Stoptech Street Performance pads are sweet. I have some. They don't fade!
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikePL
Girodisc Magic pads. They are relatively cheap and work very well. I've had them on my car for a while now. Almost 0 brake dust and quiet. They will squeak after very hard high speed braking. But it's not horrible.

And if you need rotors, they have a "bailout" special blank rotor. I'd stick with their stuff. Check them out.
They are indeed affordable. I have these on my Evo IX, I put them on a few weeks ago at just north of 40k miles. I've done pads before (but not in a long time) and had some local Evo guys help me out, but these pads squeak pretty loud but only when braking at very low speeds, especially when the steering wheel is at full lock, usually when I pull into my parking space at home. Brake dust is pretty minimal compared to the OEM pads, though it doesn't have the same initial bite. Still a good pad though, especially if you're doing mostly DDing.
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

LOL at some of the advice in this thread...
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

^ I agree, lots of misinformation, thats why I posted the link.
Old Jul 12, 2011 | 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
You gotta be kidding me right? 600whp and your running some crappy chinese made no name brake pads? Rotors are more important than pads!? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!? Rotors basically do the same thing, they wont help you stop your car any better really. Rotors are essentially act as a heat sink, the BRAKE PADS is what creates the friction to stop your vehicle. For instance, running 2 piece rotors will help with keeping brake temps down on a race/track car by having more surface area, efficient cooling vains, reducing rotational mass, etc... on the street or canyons, any good quality 1pc rotor will stop the car just the same as the car on the expensive 2pc rotors. Having the right brake pad/compound is what makes the difference, rotors not so much.

REMEMBER, these are high performance vehicles, TIRES and BRAKE PADS should BY FAR be among the highest priority of any vehicle, especially a sports car. Project Mu NS street pads are a great street pad, they produce FAR less dust and noise than the oem brembo/ferodo pads, have better initial bite and perform better at higher temps. As I started tracking the car, I now run Project Mu Club Racer pads which are definately streetable but are kind of loud for daily street use. The B-Force compound is great step up from the NS compound for higher performance street use. Ive tried numerous other brands in the past and used to be a Ferodo/PFC *****, but ive come to love the performance characteristics and longevity of Project Mu brake pads.
That.

Originally Posted by grillpt
And this.

If only someone took the time to write out the end all of brake pads and parts...oh wait...I did.

HPS -- see my pictures of them glazed over. Not enough pad for Evos speed and weight. Even on the street.

Cheap part store specials...those are a joke. Don't kid yourself. Nor cheap out. This is not a Yugo. I've MELTED a set of those on a car I was tuning. Absolutely not safe.