Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pads Advice... Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011 | 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Brake Pads Advice... Please Help.

Ok i did the search and i had seen that alot of people that get aftermarket brake pads for there evo they squeak really loud because of the oem rotors... so most people suggested that you stick with the OEM brake pads.

Well i am here because i do believe that alot of you did not stick with the OEM brake pads and im pretty sure you went aftermarket... not to mention the oem pads are $279.00 for just the fronts.. and same price for just the rear.

So can someone please PLEASE let me know what kind of brake pads i should get for my evo 8 so i dont get massive squeaking... My friend who owns a STI basically told me no matter what i should go to autozone or napa or somewhere and get the "Anti Brake Squeak Gel" im not sure what the heck the name of the product is actually called but oh well.

So any ideas on brake pads that are decent? I would still love to have the stopping power... my rotors are just getting more and more messed up because the pads are so thin right now...and i was looking at the rear rotors and they want $600 for 1 online. I pretty much got my car sitting because im trying to find a different pad.

Help please...

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I currently have Hawk HPS pads and I can recommend them. Yes, in the beginning, my brakes squealed very VERY loud. Did all the break-in procedures too. And after a few weeks of just driving around and braking medium to hard every day, the noise went away. Other pads too might be the same. Squeak in the beginning but overtime, it'll go away.

I would not recommend sticking with OEM. The pads don't last that long, braking was sub-par compared to these HPS, and brake dust was everywhere. My HPS have very minimal brake dust, braking was a really good improvement over OEM and they have been lasting me for a while. A lot longer than the OEM pads. Had them on my car for almost 1 1/2 years now and I still have enough meat on them.
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Ok i did the search and i had seen that alot of people that get aftermarket brake pads for there evo they squeak really loud because of the oem rotors... so most people suggested that you stick with the OEM brake pads.

Well i am here because i do believe that alot of you did not stick with the OEM brake pads and im pretty sure you went aftermarket... not to mention the oem pads are $279.00 for just the fronts.. and same price for just the rear.

So can someone please PLEASE let me know what kind of brake pads i should get for my evo 8 so i dont get massive squeaking... My friend who owns a STI basically told me no matter what i should go to autozone or napa or somewhere and get the "Anti Brake Squeak Gel" im not sure what the heck the name of the product is actually called but oh well.

So any ideas on brake pads that are decent? I would still love to have the stopping power... my rotors are just getting more and more messed up because the pads are so thin right now...and i was looking at the rear rotors and they want $600 for 1 online. I pretty much got my car sitting because im trying to find a different pad.

Help please...

Thanks!
im gonna keep it simple because i just bought pads last week for my 600whp evo. get the oem pads from autzone cost me i think like 60 for front and rear. Unless your doing like time attack racing etc you dont need anything more. My shop JMS has two 9 second evos rocking oem pads from autozone i was gonna to go all fancy with the pads but trust me its not need dont waste money. if you want to go semi crazy on your rotors i get it but not brake pads. oh btw any pad you get will squeal for alittle bit till they get worked in after that smooth sailing

Last edited by RockmanX; Jul 10, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Hawk HPS stop pretty good. Quiet and nearly no dust. Hawk HP Plus stop even better, but create some dust and squeal when you lightly brake (creeping traffic), don't squeal if you are on the brakes pretty aggressively (autocross and such).

When I ran my old Neon, the Hawk HPS were better than stock. I eventually tried the HP + and the extra bite was worth a little squeal, especially because I would periodically take the daily driver to a track day and didn't want to change pads. You can stop these pads hard repeatedly. Never faded even when hot.

Also important to get a good fluid and change/flush it ever year or two. Valvoline synthetic brake fluid is commonly available and priced reasonable. If you are frequently running track days or autocross, try ATE Blue.

Oh, the anti squeal stuff goes on the backing plate of the pad and prevents the metal to metal squeal between pad backing and caliper piston.

Last edited by tmaddox; Jul 10, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 08:19 PM

Girodisc Magic pads. They are relatively cheap and work very well. I've had them on my car for a while now. Almost 0 brake dust and quiet. They will squeak after very hard high speed braking. But it's not horrible.

And if you need rotors, they have a "bailout" special blank rotor. I'd stick with their stuff. Check them out.
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

K thanks for the responses... considering im hearing good things on the hawk's i will look more into them...

rockmanx. I was looking into getting some OEM pads from NAPA store over here... so might also considering just doing that anyway now... i believe the cost for the front pads were $112 and the rear pads were about $50 or $60.. BUT i do have a question... the guy showed me on his computer that mitsubishi lancer evo actually has different kinds of pads... meaning some are Ceramic and some are Metallic... i do believe there is 1 more different kind. I was told by a friend to stay away from the Ceramic pads and go with the metallic.. but im not sure of the difference... but either way i will change ALL my brake pads this time around.. so i will end up getting the same brand pads for the front and rear.

Thanks for your Help Guys!
Old Jul 10, 2011 | 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I ran Hawk HPS pads on some powerslot slotted rotors and had very little squeaking. It was so rare that it was a non issue. This wasn't on an "EVO" though... But I was very pleased with them.
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
K thanks for the responses... considering im hearing good things on the hawk's i will look more into them...

rockmanx. I was looking into getting some OEM pads from NAPA store over here... so might also considering just doing that anyway now... i believe the cost for the front pads were $112 and the rear pads were about $50 or $60.. BUT i do have a question... the guy showed me on his computer that mitsubishi lancer evo actually has different kinds of pads... meaning some are Ceramic and some are Metallic... i do believe there is 1 more different kind. I was told by a friend to stay away from the Ceramic pads and go with the metallic.. but im not sure of the difference... but either way i will change ALL my brake pads this time around.. so i will end up getting the same brand pads for the front and rear.

Thanks for your Help Guys!
pmd
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 08:22 AM

I was just looking into brakes a bit ago. From my research, i chose to go with racingbrake et-500. All responses were very positive, i don't think anyone didn't like them. good price, good bite, low dust, little squeal. I haven't actually put them on yet, but thats the reason i ordered them.

btw, when i bought my car it had cheapo brake pads on it, and they squeal, so...
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

rock, do you even drive your car yet?

Txf, I have been running project mu pads for 15k miles, almost 0 dust and 0 squeal. Sorry but I cant believe that really cheap brake pads are "worth it"

Factors to consider would be chatter noise/brake dust/wear produced on rotors. 200 dollar pads that are ceramic sport pads vs 13 dollar pads? The true cost is in what the pad is made of and other factors
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Good choice on not getting a 20 dollar pad
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

$20 pads? haha... no way not for this car. the lowest im going is $180
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 04:26 PM

I would say go with the Project Mu Type NS..
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RockmanX
im gonna keep it simple because i just bought pads last week for my 600whp evo. get the oem pads from autzone cost me i think like 60 for front and rear. Unless your doing like time attack racing etc you dont need anything more. My shop JMS has two 9 second evos rocking oem pads from autozone i was gonna to go all fancy with the pads but trust me its not need dont waste money. if you want to go semi crazy on your rotors i get it but not brake pads. oh btw any pad you get will squeal for alittle bit till they get worked in after that smooth sailing
You gotta be kidding me right? 600whp and your running some crappy chinese made no name brake pads? Rotors are more important than pads!? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!? Rotors basically do the same thing, they wont help you stop your car any better really. Rotors are essentially act as a heat sink, the BRAKE PADS is what creates the friction to stop your vehicle. For instance, running 2 piece rotors will help with keeping brake temps down on a race/track car by having more surface area, efficient cooling vains, reducing rotational mass, etc... on the street or canyons, any good quality 1pc rotor will stop the car just the same as the car on the expensive 2pc rotors. Having the right brake pad/compound is what makes the difference, rotors not so much.

REMEMBER, these are high performance vehicles, TIRES and BRAKE PADS should BY FAR be among the highest priority of any vehicle, especially a sports car. Project Mu NS street pads are a great street pad, they produce FAR less dust and noise than the oem brembo/ferodo pads, have better initial bite and perform better at higher temps. As I started tracking the car, I now run Project Mu Club Racer pads which are definately streetable but are kind of loud for daily street use. The B-Force compound is great step up from the NS compound for higher performance street use. Ive tried numerous other brands in the past and used to be a Ferodo/PFC *****, but ive come to love the performance characteristics and longevity of Project Mu brake pads.

Last edited by WoODStOcK; Jul 11, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011 | 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
You gotta be kidding me right? 600whp and your running some crappy chinese made no name brake pads? Rotors are more important than pads!? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!? Rotors basically do the same thing, they wont help you stop your car any better really. Rotors are essentially act as a heat sink, the BRAKE PADS is what creates the friction to stop your vehicle. For instance, running 2 piece rotors will help with keeping brake temps down on a race/track car by having more surface area, efficient cooling vains, reducing rotational mass, etc... on the street or canyons, any good quality 1pc rotor will stop the car just the same as the car on the expensive 2pc rotors. Having the right brake pad/compound is what makes the difference, rotors not so much.

REMEMBER, these are high performance vehicles, TIRES and BRAKE PADS should BY FAR be among the highest priority of any vehicle, especially a sports car.

+1 for this.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads Advice... Please Help.